I Hate The Film Canon: A Thread

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Of course not, that would be silly. You analyze the technique, among other reasons, to better understand why it had the impact it did. Cinematography is no exception.

luka

@luka would you say that appreciating the technique of, say, one J. H. Prynne would be an indication that the poem itself was insufficiently captivating and thus "boring and bad" as a result?
i have no idea what people mean when they use the word technique but also a film is just a fairground ride. its different to a poem.

luka

i have a very, very deep distrust of people who use the word technique. i think they are fundamentally evil.

luka

if youre on the rollercoaster thinking about the technique of the rollercoaster its not a fun rollercoaster.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
i rewatched 1 and 2 recently and 1 is a proper film, whereas two i surpised how hokey it was i guess as kids we were just blown away by the nifty special effects
I've not watched T2 in ages but in my mind it's a classic. I remember mainly Arnie reloading the shotgun with one hand, the bit with the milk carton, the annoying kid with the floppy hair, Arnie trying to smile and "I know now why you cry". So it probably isn't as classic as I think it is? I'll have to check.

Is "Aliens" good? I feel like what Cameron did with Aliens is analogous to what he did in T2. Quips. A "cute" kid. Guns. Action (for the most part) replaces atmosphere.

woops

is not like other people
Aliens is just great, Alien 3 is terrible though, full of English character actors for some reason

woops

is not like other people
@luka you have never seen a good shot in your life. might as well watch the film with your eyes shut. but then that's "soundtrack" which is a made up word for swots. so might as well stay at home

luka

a good shot lol give me a break! as if anyone watches a film going, ooh, tremendous 'shot' lmao

luka

ive watched films with craner and i can assure you he doesnt sit there stroking his chin and going 'my, what an audacious shot' he sits there leering and going fuck me look at the tits on that

luka

you two know im speaking the truth. youre just being poseurs, which doesnt suit you cos i know you both very well and youre Proper Lads. you dont believe any of this shit.

craner

Beast of Burden
I don't sit there analysing tracking shots but I also hate films that have no visual flair. Anybody with a functioning brain could understand that, but alas it's you so the conversation is a waste of time

luka

ok, good now we have arrived at the truth. you like films to look cool. so do i. who wouldnt.

version

a good shot lol give me a break! as if anyone watches a film going, ooh, tremendous 'shot' lmao
I do. A well-shot film will have me like this,

giphy.gif