sufi

lala
outstanding questions
  • what is your theme, the tune that plays when you first appear in the blockbuster movie?
  • what music would you take deep underground with you?
  • where is your closest margin club?
  • what gig would you have loved to have been at?
  • when did you feel farthest from home and what music did you have on?
  • where is your edge?
  • what is the oldest piece of music you like and why, and how come you even relate?
  • if you were a musician, what would you greatest work sound like?
  • and whose style would your image resemble, and why?
  • what is your core and what is your flex?
  • now listen to this and tell us what you are think

sufi

lala
dont listen to it Ian, but play the video on mute with some good music over the top of it and enjoy the Arabian Nights exotica
eunuchs in the harem, dancing camels, veiled women with bedroom eyes, hookahs, magic carpets, etc
just answer the questions in fact everybody should

sufi

lala
(it's fine btw americans are even permitted to enjoy sudanese sound systems since 2020)

william_kent

sudan has really bad music, but really sweet camels

the youth of Tandalti would object!

Ahmed Qamar and Al-Mariod

shoulder action from the yoot man dem, tantalising glimpses of da laydees, keyboard player gets to go nuts in a Tangerine Dream style 30 seconds from the end

#casio_tone_rulez

Last edited:

mvuent

Void Dweller
although they were technically submitted past the deadline, sufi’s questions are so good i have cleared some time in my busy schedule to answer them…

• what is your theme, the tune that plays when you first appear in the blockbuster movie?
i don’t appear in the blockbuster movie
  • what music would you take deep underground with you?
minecraft cave sounds compilation
  • where is your closest margin club?
what?
  • what gig would you have loved to have been at?
‘58 brussels philips pavilion, ‘70 osaka west german pavilion, jeita grotto and shiraz-persepolis arts festival (both in ‘71), fantazia nye ‘91/’92
  • when did you feel farthest from home and what music did you have on?
on my first day of middle school in 2007. no idea.
  • where is your edge?
the mississippi river. it runs through downtown and the world seems to get more interesting whenever i cross to the other side. other life lives just across it. suspended and linebaugh as well much further east.
  • what is the oldest piece of music you like and why, and how come you even relate?
probably some 50000 bc pentatonic flute melody, because it reminds me of selected ambient works i
  • if you were a musician, what would you greatest work sound like?
“hymnen” for the internet era
  • and whose style would your image resemble, and why?
cboyardee. no explanation.
  • what is your core and what is your flex?
i did a 5 minute plank a couple weeks ago, since then nothing
  • now listen to this and tell us what you are think
it reminds me that i actually wrote an imaginary FAQ for my current project that included this:

Do these ideas implicitly privilege certain musical cultures over others? possibly, but I’m pretty upfront about the perspective from which I’m writing: that of someone who’s had constant internet access and a lot of free time, but few real communal musical experiences. I’m very very very strongly in favor of the latter but that’s not really the perspective I’m writing from. It’s more like, so you’re listening to music in your room on headphones, now what? Music as performance is more about the typical western concert hall experience, or some guitar hero shredding onstage in a stadium, or a dj outstretching their hands in that jesus pose--cases where everyone’s attention is glued worshipfully or evaluatively on the performer, not community gatherings where everyone’s contributing in their own way.

…having said that, in this case i can’t help but notice how closely the movements of people in the crowd mimic the motion of the music (or the other way around), so in a way my contention that "all the best music is vividly evocative" still holds true