Eminem...that's the thread

forclosure

Off top lemme just come and say let's at least TRY to make this as constructive as possible because talking about him as the single biggest blight to mankind and rap is gonna kill this fast

I've already stated my ambivalence on him these days to @pattycakes_ and how the last decade of his music is terrible but i'd like to think there's more to it

forclosure

For starters I'll say this while his influence on rap has cropped up in interesting, varying places he has about as much of a cultural imprint on current day rap as Ludacris does

sus

I like the one where he makes a turntable scratching sound with his mouth and goes "chicka chicka slim shady" and then says his name over and over

rubberdingyrapids

several grime artists, black as well as white, have named eminem as a reference point.

its easy to dismiss him. but his influence is pretty widespread.

woops

is not like other people
i liked the slim shady LP with all the novelty tracks, and i still like Bad Meets Evil but i realised that i like that track the best and that's the one with the guest spot so what does that say about the rest of the album. i listened to infinite once and liked it. more recently he seems to do that annoying flow on every track. duduhDUH duhduhDUH duhduhDUH over and over all the time.

forclosure

i liked the slim shady LP with all the novelty tracks, and i still like Bad Meets Evil but i realised that i like that track the best and that's the one with the guest spot so what does that say about the rest of the album. i listened to infinite once and liked it. more recently he seems to do that annoying flow on every track. duduhDUH duhduhDUH duhduhDUH over and over all the time.
I'm surprised you can even notice "a flow" because it often feels like he's trying to do 5 at once

version

I've always associated him less with hip-hop and more with a particular strain of culture coming from the US in the late 90s / early 2000s - 'Attitude Era' WWF, Limp Bizkit, Marilyn Manson, Bloodhound Gang, South Park, and, although it was actually made in Britain, GTA III.

Last edited:

rubberdingyrapids

not actually listened to eminem in years unless he comes on the radio but are you sure you arent all just ex, embittered fans embarrassed about your em-love? lol

isnt the whole theme of dave's psychodrama just a reprise of old eminem skits? i guess you could say its not that far off redman and dr trevis too, but was dave listening to redman? i kinda doubt it.

shakahislop

I've always associated him less with hip-hop and more with a particular strain of culture coming from the US in the late 90s - 'Attitude Era' WWF, Limp Bizkit, Marilyn Manson, Bloodhound Gang, South Park, and, although it was actually made in Britain, GTA III.
Yeah dead on

version

not actually listened to eminem in years unless he comes on the radio but are you sure you arent all just ex, embittered fans embarrassed about your em-love? lol

I liked him back in the day but not enough to be an embittered ex-fan. He was just part of the environment when I was like eleven, I'd go round to people's houses and watch wrestling, play PlayStation and they'd have the first two albums on CD.

I think you need to have been really immersed in something to develop the embittered ex-fan thing, like people say about being an ex-Catholic.

version

The last thing I heard from him was some film tie-in that played during the credits and it was that terrible, earnest, 'gym motivation' type stuff he does.

forclosure

isnt the whole theme of dave's psychodrama just a reprise of old eminem skits? i guess you could say its not that far off redman and dr trevis too, but was dave listening to redman? i kinda doubt it.
I'm not embittered especially not compared to some people i've seen and engaged with also i was an actual child when he was at the peak of his powers

And as for Dave i dunno he's just not for me he's earnest in a way you'd think people would've loathed to hear now

forclosure

@rubberdingyrapids on the topic of D-12 i want to say that Bizarre is a horrible rapper like good lord is he bad no flow at all and only committed to saying the nastiest shit possible

Alot of the complaints people direct to Marshall should be aimed at him lol

william_kent

my knowledge of Eminem stretches about as far as understanding that he is a trigger word for Lord Jamar, who when he was a regular on Vlad TV and "DJ" Vlad figured out that he could press Lord Jamar's buttons and guarantee a rabid outburst by positing a question like "is Eminem the most technically gifted rapper of all time?" which would inevitably produce a 5% oriented rant along the lines of "real don't fuck with that" and "he is a guest in the house of hip-hop", opinions that "DJ" Vlad could then mention to other rappers appearing on his channel and generate further controversy, all the while profiting from increased views

his paymasters marketed him to the suburban cul-de-sac rather than the street - I think some other rapper "DJ" Vlad interviewed called him "the Elvis of hip-hop" ( not a compliment )

for what it's worth I own a rarely played Brand Nubian album and have never ( willingly ) listened to Eminem...

Last edited:

forclosure

my knowledge of Eminem stretches about as far as understanding that he is a trigger word for Lord Jamar, who when he was a regular on Vlad TV and "DJ" Vlad figured out that he could press Lord Jamar's buttons and guarantee a rabid outburst by positing a question like "is Eminem the most technically gifted rapper of all time?" which would inevitably produce a 5% oriented rant along the lines of "real don't fuck with that" and "he is a guest in the house of hip-hop", opinions that "DJ" Vlad could then mention to other rappers appearing on his channel and generate further controversy, all the while profiting from increased views

his paymasters marketed him to the suburban cul-de-sac rather than the street - I think some other rapper "DJ" Vlad interviewed called him "the Elvis of hip-hop" ( not a compliment )

for what it's worth I own a rarely played Brand Nubian album and have never ( willingly ) listened to Eminem...
What i want to know is how you ended up watching Vlad TV that's one of his approaches but the other one is him getting rappers to snitch on themselves or really they come to him with a self incriminating story they want to tell

The elvis comparison isn't new and the difference is Eminem was self aware of it even if he exhausted that topic just like his other go tos