Eminem...that's the thread

forclosure

and I'm saying it here alot of white people who are bitter over Em need to be honest with themselves that if it wasnt for him they wouldn't have gotten into rap at all ok you moved on from him that's fine and some them did get into rap without ever willfully engaging with him

But he's the reason why white people were able to be taken seriously as fans and rappers, before that it was a WASTELAND for white rappers

If you wanna be mad at somebody for his success don't just pin it on him pin it on Jimmy Iovine and Dr Dre and pin it on the people who treat him like the alpha and omega who'll destroy anybody if challenged (although his track record of beefs say otherwise)

And the people who do that are another fine example of white people ruining things for their fellow saltine crackers

Last edited:

forclosure

Cause who did white people have as far as rappers in the 90s really? Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch? Young Black Teenagers? RA the Rugged Man was still going by "Crustified Dibbs" and no label wanted to sign him, Everlast has maybe the most "real hip hop" of any white rapper due to coming up through Ice-T's Rhyme Syndicate and the most he could get was a one hit wonder and that's not even getting to his pivot towards country with Whitey Ford.

and just to shatter catalog's dreams no Snow had absolutely no chance because "rapper from Canada" was met with the same level of laughter out of Americans then as "rapper from England" does now this is long before Drake changed that. plus he was indecipherable and doing whiny bashment style vocals be glad that he even somehow got a number 1 hit he was only ever gonna be seen as a novelty.

When Jim Carey of all people duppies you consider it done.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
I've always associated him less with hip-hop and more with a particular strain of culture coming from the US in the late 90s / early 2000s - 'Attitude Era' WWF, Limp Bizkit, Marilyn Manson, Bloodhound Gang, South Park, and, although it was actually made in Britain, GTA III.

This one is OTM. Hiphop as a culture had peaked several years before em came along. It just didn't have the same power it did pre 96. By the time the slim shady lp came out there was barely any competition in the mainstream. As I said in the other thread, this left the door wide open, and because Dre had done his Faustian pact in return for goating em, that gave legitimacy to em who probably wouldn't have made 35% the impact he did if he'd come out in the first half of the decade. Would have been laughed out of the room, tbh, no? But the end of the 90s was a different time, and as @version accurately put, it was a time of attitude and shock value. The creativity well had ran dry and the only way left to go was to 11.

forclosure

This one is OTM. Hiphop as a culture had peaked several years before em came along. It just didn't have the same power it did pre 96. By the time the slim shady lp came out there was barely any competition in the mainstream. As I said in the other thread, this left the door wide open, and because Dre had done his Faustian pact in return for goating em, that gave legitimacy to em who probably wouldn't have made 35% the impact he did if he'd come out in the first half of the decade. Would have been laughed out of the room, tbh, no? But the end of the 90s was a different time, and as @version accurately put, it was a time of attitude and shock value. The creativity well had ran dry and the only way left to go was to 11.
Dre didn't make no "faustian" pact he was fresh out from getting away from Death Row and the only other thing before that he released on Aftermath was a compilation album fans were displeased with because it wasn't another Dr Dre album, Jimmy Iovine heard " murder murder" off the slim shady EP (which is a good track) and off the strength of that convinced Dre to sign him, these were still the days when white rappers needed a black cosign to get on and also because of the success of Em, Aftermath gained the reputation of being a label who could turn talented but unwieldy lyricists into hitmakers

also the idea that the culture "peaked" and creativity ran dry by that point is some old backpack rap bullshit thinking with big label rap at the time,it only might look like that because 97 onwards was when the mainstream/underground divide happened in rap that plus the rise of southern hip hop and producers like Swizz Beats and Mannie Fresh making beats that didn't use samples and before that Puffy making jiggy club is what led to certain people believing rap had ran out of things to say

forclosure

That divide didn't really "end" at least in a symbolic sense until Kanye dropped college dropout,99 aswell as the culture of shock was also the commercial peak of rap in terms of CDs being sold it was the first time that happened certain guys like Saafir and Ras Kass found that they had to make singles that might have compromised on their vision in the hopes that they would make a hit to meet the demands of the time

It makes me laugh when you think about some of the writing about underground rap of the time where writers would say shit that ammounted to "all these black rappers care about is materialism and guns these white are the ones upholding the culture of hip hop"

All the big underground rap labels of the day had the same distributors as the majors fucking Rawkus Records was founded off of Murdoch money(yes the shriveled up Australian ballsack himself) and for better or worse became the face of the music.

I understand if you think I'm being an ass about this @pattycakes_ but with what we know now and with hindsight it's so easy to poke holes in the idea that big label rap ran out of creativity

forclosure

Hell some of those rappers and the songs/ albums they made at the time you might like now and vice versa for the stuff you did

I know quite a few people who never wanna listen to the likes of say the High & mighty or Mos Def, Krumbsnatcha,living legends or any of that lot ever again and I'm somebody who also thinks backpack rap overall from that time is deeply misunderstood by the people who loathe it aswell as the ones who still listen to it

forclosure

3rd Bass and the Beastie Boys

The comedy angle loophole worked pretty well for the latter
I get why you picked those 2 but they came up in the 80s though 3rd bass were done by 91 and Serch and Pete Nice both failed solo wise the only noteworthy thing about them is Nas appearing on Serch's album pre illmatic and Cage(then Cage Kennylz) on Pete Nice's and the Beasties by the early 90s had gone back to their punk roots and were more so part of the 90s alternative wave than anything to do with rap at the time. Like there's a reason why hip hop people if they talk about the beasties its just their 80s shit and maybe say intergalatic and you're right them leaning on their humour did help

Like its no surprise to me that the beasties are seen as a band compared to say Tribe called quest not just because of their start in punk or using rock instruments but the 3 of them never stood out or had the same dynamic you don't hear anybody picking apart individual bars or verses like with Q-tip etc partially because they were still using 82/83 flows in 1998 but even back then in the treacherous three, kool moe dee and spoonie gee stood out and defined themselves

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
Dre didn't make no "faustian" pact he was fresh out from getting away from Death Row and the only other thing before that he released on Aftermath was a compilation album fans were displeased with because it wasn't another Dr Dre album, Jimmy Iovine heard " murder murder" off the slim shady EP (which is a good track) and off the strength of that convinced Dre to sign him, these were still the days when white rappers needed a black cosign to get on and also because of the success of Em, Aftermath gained the reputation of being a label who could turn talented but unwieldy lyricists into hitmakers

I know he didn't, but it's the way I frame it in my head, comic book style, to make sense of what happened re: em as cultural icon. I don't believe he deserves his position, and while it might be risky ground for me as a paleface to say so; especially considering how many black rappers piss all over his fucking head in every regard; flow, style, intelligence, swagger etc etc. But it's one of them, innit. Same old power structures. And that's why I frame this shit the way I do because it's the only way to make sense of the situation (from my pov!) This shit fans out wayyy beyond eminem, but somehow, especially now with so many people calling him the goat (as if they forgot all that came before him: amnesia is an issue) and him reminding you he's the goat whenever he gets the chance, my crosshairs land on him frequently. Hiphop was the first music I ever really cared about. I could go as far as to say it raised me. The soundtrack to my coming of age. But during those crucial years of my mid to late teens, he was the main event. And while I endured the cunt while smoking soapbar with the crew at the time, I knew for a fact the real shit had come and gone. And that isn't any backpack nostalgia bs. He just couldn't hold a candle to any of the other shit I was into. If it helps as a reference point: Gravediggaz - 6 Feet Deep (still my all time #1 hh lp,) Wu - 36 Chambers, Fugees - The Score, Naughty By Nature - 19 Naughty III and Poverty's Paradise, Warren G - Regulate, Snoop - Doggystyle, Tribe - Midnight Marauders (didn't get Low End until later) were the main ones.

These were all mature, deep records, laced with incredible beats and mind-blowing bars and then em comes along with his fuckin nasal ratatatat and oh wow he sells drugs and talks about edgy shit and it just felt fkn immature and dumb. But it was a product of the time. A time when Limp Bizkit, Bloodhound Gang and The Offspring and all the shit @version mentioned were able to be massive, so yeah, I was looking around at my own time like wtf happened? And back then, there was no way to just get the old stuff as you can now. Especially if you didn't have much money like me. So you were kind of forced to go with the flow.

also the idea that the culture "peaked" and creativity ran dry by that point is some old backpack rap bullshit thinking with big label rap at the time,it only might look like that because 97 onwards was when the mainstream/underground divide happened in rap that plus the rise of southern hip hop and producers like Swizz Beats and Mannie Fresh making beats that didn't use samples and before that Puffy making jiggy club is what led to certain people believing rap had ran out of things to say

Yeah tbh, a lot of that stuff was good party/radio fodder, but it didn't match the stuff I listed above as far as hitting me right in my chest and making me feel like I was 10 foot tall and cool as fuck. There was an empowerment embedded in what you call backpack shit. It was street. The stuff you're mentioning is where the money suddenly ramped up and everything went deluxe. Like all the shit they'd been rapping about in the early 90s, making it, getting out of the hood, all came true and Puffy was maybe the main proponent of all that, and while I'm all for people becoming successful via their talents, the music that came from the street spoke to me differently because I related with it. The aspirational shit felt too fantasy, like yeah, cool, but I wasn't anywhere near that. No shade tho, I had great times partying along to the bling shit.

I understand if you think I'm being an ass about this @pattycakes_ but with what we know now and with hindsight it's so easy to poke holes in the idea that big label rap ran out of creativity

Not much to say about the omitted part of the above quote apart from the only group from the 97 onward era I have any time for nowadays in Company Flow. Re: your ass thing, all good. It's good chat. You obv know a lot more than me. But, I do think my pre-96 shit is better than almost everything that came out after that, inc. the stuff you listed 😜

Hell some of those rappers and the songs/ albums they made at the time you might like now and vice versa for the stuff you did

I know quite a few people who never wanna listen to the likes of say the High & mighty or Mos Def, Krumbsnatcha,living legends or any of that lot ever again and I'm somebody who also thinks backpack rap overall from that time is deeply misunderstood by the people who loathe it aswell as the ones who still listen to it

Yeah, a lot of that era was a bit resting on laurelsy and with that comes that weird earnestness that doesn't tend to age too well, but still sort of lingers in some areas until today in the way you hint at here:

It makes me laugh when you think about some of the writing about underground rap of the time where writers would say shit that ammounted to "all these black rappers care about is materialism and guns these white are the ones upholding the culture of hip hop"

Don't take me as one of those people preciously holding on to the purity of the early 90s. None of the stuff being written about by the people writing what you're talking about here has any place next to what I'm talking about. Those 2 tracks I posted in choon of the day for eg. High n Mighty next to Big L? Nope.

I get why you picked those 2 but they came up in the 80s though 3rd bass were done by 91 and Serch and Pete Nice both failed solo wise the only noteworthy thing about them is Nas appearing on Serch's album pre illmatic and Cage(then Cage Kennylz) on Pete Nice's and the Beasties by the early 90s had gone back to their punk roots and were more so part of the 90s alternative wave than anything to do with rap at the time. Like there's a reason why hip hop people if they talk about the beasties its just their 80s shit and maybe say intergalatic and you're right them leaning on their humour did help

I was struggling to think of any legit white rappers/groups.

Like its no surprise to me that the beasties are seen as a band compared to say Tribe called quest not just because of their start in punk or using rock instruments but the 3 of them never stood out or had the same dynamic you don't hear anybody picking apart individual bars or verses like with Q-tip etc partially because they were still using 82/83 flows in 1998 but even back then in the treacherous three, kool moe dee and spoonie gee stood out and defined themselves

Yeah plus the beasties were playing dumb. The loophole I was talking about. That way you avoid scrutiny. Like you get to play along while avoiding the chopping block.

Last edited:

forclosure

I mean it felt fantasy for you in part cause you was a londoner the idea of man over here having access to that kind of flashy didn't seem real so yes of course you would gravitate more so to co-flow and them and that street shit was part of that era but you also had the rsting on their laurels guys as you pointed out who just wanted to make the same music their idols did, some of the crossover with horrorcore guys aswell, the battle rappers and the really far end weirdos

But thing is aswell its not like there wasn't street shit on say Harlem World, Confessions of fire, Jewelz either some of those guys were making grimier rap than the backpackers were but it might've just been the kind of beats they were rapping over

People who wanted the hardcore shit like yourself they went to No Limit, they went to Cash Money,Suave house and all that stuff and imo i think just limiting yourself to Co Flow you're really missing out man like you don't have to listen to Master P but No Limit put out ALOT of albums from their roster that i could see you liking Fiend, Mia X, Soulja Slim,Mystikal(shakes head) they had some great shit and low key informed some of the stuff in New York that was being played in the Tunnel back then

forclosure

Or maybe it might be that you just miss battle raps lol EL-P has always been a battle rapper at his core, when you notice that it kinda explains why his more ambitious stuff doesn't work aswell

I put that thing down to pre 96 rap down to personal prefference its fine no big deal to me @pattycakes_ i feel like you're exactly the guy on here who would get deep into Griselda records

Last edited:

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
Fwiw I grew up in the lake district, even London was far away. Luckily some of my mate's big brothers had good CD collections and Westwood was on R1, plus whatever was on the TV

That's all I had to work with lol

forclosure

Also going through your list interesting to see Doggystyle and 2 Naughty by Nature albums the former because i dont think anybody would use the words "mature and deep"to talk about the same album that has ain't no fun if the homies, cant have none

And Naughty by Nature as much as it might pain you to hear this but one of Eminem's influences as a rapper is Trech there's a video of him reciting one of their tracks, not only that but not to discredit them they were like the more pop side of hardcore rap right?

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
People who wanted the hardcore shit like yourself they went to No Limit, they went to Cash Money,Suave house and all that stuff and imo i think just limiting yourself to Co Flow you're really missing out man like you don't have to listen to Master P but No Limit put out ALOT of albums from their roster that i could see you liking Fiend, Mia X, Soulja Slim,Mystikal(shakes head) they had some great shit and low key informed some of the stuff in New York that was being played in the Tunnel back then

Yeah, see, even now I still haven't checked any of these out. Em kinda put me off of hiphop and around end of 90s I got way more into electronic music and left it behind for a good while.

forclosure

Oh my DAYS the Lake District between all this and the fact that 6 feet deep is your favourite album makes so much so much sense i can see it now a young patty surrounded by the picture definition of the English countryside scowling while listening to "Graveyard Chamber" out of his headphonez

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
Or maybe it might be that you just miss battle raps lol EL-P has always been a battle rapper at his core, when you notice that it kinda explains why his more ambitious stuff doesn't work aswell

Weird thing is I love coflow but don't actually like el-p as a rapper all that much. Bigg Jus and el-p & mr Len's beats were the main draw for me.

I put that thing down to pre 96 rap down to personal prefference its fine no big deal to me @pattycakes_ i feel like you're exactly the guy on here who would get deep into Griselda records

Noted

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
Oh my DAYS the Lake District between all this and the fact that 6 feet deep is your favourite album makes so much so much sense i can see it now a young patty surrounded by the picture definition of the English countryside scowling while listening to "Graveyard Chamber" out of his headphonez

The grimiest part of bowness on windermere, helm close, was a mini tower block council estate with a healthy dose of rehabilitated junkies and ex cons. My only claim to street cred