Eminem...that's the thread

forclosure

anyways have fun with that point blank album i'm interested to know what you think of those videos of Em talking about Treach

i've heard a few tracks off Infinite and they are just ok, people who swear that its some kind of hidden gem are loons cause he was still sounding like AZ back then and figuring out his own style

there's a alternate timeline or whatever where Marshall stays in the 12" underground rap trenches at best you can speculate that he might've been promptly forgotten about or because one of the bigger names in that world like say Aesop Rock,Cage or even Copywrite(good grief) but for people who think that would've been a more blissful and better world i'm not sure i can agree with that, can only imagine what other white rapper could've taken that place

also weird to think about because even people who still listen to this stuff, the 12 inches which the whole scene was built on have been memory holed just wiped out of existance because its a format nobody uses anymore and because of online album lists they only tend to focus on the rappers/albums that have been talked about to hell and back. The albums were the biggest source of commercial success in part cause of message boards and places like Fat Beats n Rhymesayers but they were only part of it not the whole

Last edited:

forclosure

as i said before and @rubberdingyrapids has joked about i've been asked about Eminem before and the expected response is for me to be mad about him and i'm just not even if i know there were rappers who i thought were better than him, if anything my ire is more directed towards Jay Z.

I've seen and heard people even on here say everything bad there is to say about Nas he's an idiot he's self serious,his ear for beats are terrible even going as far as to say he should've quit from his 2nd album but i don't think alot of people stop to really think about where these ideas and statements about him and his music come from especially when you compare him to Jay, who i'm supposed to believe is the total opposite he made all the right ones whereas Nas made bad one after bad one.

and alot of that comes down 1) the difference in expectations the two of them had at the start of their careers (being the heir to Rakim carries a certain significant weight that being the heir/friend somewhat adversay to Biggie doesn't) aswell as the fact that alot of these statements originate from forum debates and rumors about his creative decisions that snowballed and intensified over time to be taken as stone cold fact. they're both dinosaurs now for sure but especially at a time where people are sick of bored sounding detached rappers like Jay and complain how there's so many imitators its worth considering.

forclosure

noz brings up this aneccdote about how when he interviewed Gucci Mane on his lyrics he said to him "i'm not a lyricist Eminem is a lyricist" which to him was a comment that felt like it flew in the face of what's in his music, but that comment is both a reflection of how attitudes or marketing of rappers changed as far as lyricism (going from elevating minds to being used for comedy and humour) to also the fact that the South especially around the mid late 00s was (and in certain places) still is blamed for what's thought to be as the lowering standards of lyrics in rap

rubberdingyrapids

the meaning of the word lyricist is really pretty weird in rap, depending on who you talk to. does it mean someone with a virtuoso flow? someone with good lines? someone who says 'something'? who knows anymore.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
going back to what you said with jiggy rap and not feeling empowered by it cause it wasn't street cause of how flashy it was, it was but that might've been because it wasn't the streets you were familiar with.

oh yeah. just not my world. it just didn't speak to me in the same way.

What i mean is that now stuff from that period what with the kind of samples used etc it's cause in spirit the music was harkening back to the very beginnings for rap in the late 70s and just how outsized and larger than life those rappers looked and sounded and especially considering the night life Harlem World being then name of the disco where some of the early pivotal rap battles happened it wasn't "divorced" at all but of course being brits and whatever that context was lost and wasn't commonly known like that.

interesting. have never thought about it in relation to disco. now i'm gonna have to go back and reassess lol. but like i said, i did have great times partying with the bling-era shit. it just didn't hit me in the same place.

anyways have fun with that point blank album i'm interested to know what you think of those videos of Em talking about Treach

these two posts have fucked me up to be honest. because there i was, a man of hiphop principles and a staunch anti eminemer, and then i just saw him do a treach verse and now i might even like the cunt. wtf, webbie. i mean i still don't like his music, but maybe he's not such a bad guy 😳

need to go and sit down for a minute

forclosure

interesting. have never thought about it in relation to disco. now i'm gonna have to go back and reassess lol. but like i said, i did have great times partying with the bling-era shit. it just didn't hit me in the same place.

these two posts have fucked me up to be honest. because there i was, a man of hiphop principles and a staunch anti eminemer, and then i just saw him do a treach verse and now i might even like the cunt. wtf, webbie. i mean i still don't like his music, but maybe he's not such a bad guy 😳

need to go and sit down for a minute
hahaha the process of learning and unlearning is a funny one

i knew those clips would sheg you up lol

luka

50 Cents voice is so good, but it's not even exactly his voice, it's the way it's squeezed out, it's the tensions, I think he's one of the best of all time I'm so into him

luka

I think I like eminems verse but I've no had the courage to listen to it yet I keep repeating the start of it

luka

He's living out all our fantasies as a white rap kid it's amazing so good it's the best