what looks better mosques or cathedrals?

mosques or cathedrals?

• mosque

• cathedral

Results are only viewable after voting.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I've seen stuff about this in the news recently, if I remember it correctly they were saying that it's the same old depressingly sordid story they've reported on a million times - the white man brought Protestantism to Latin America relatively recently along with loads of devastating STDs which spread like wildfire. The white man was called Shaka Hislop from Didcot via New York and seems from what they were saying that sadly he does this sort of thing a lot.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I've seen stuff about this in the news recently, if I remember it correctly they were saying that it's the same old depressingly sordid story they've reported on a million times - the white man brought Protestantism to Latin America relatively recently along with loads of devastating STDs which spread like wildfire. The white man was called Shaka Hislop from Didcot via New York and seems from what they were saying that sadly he does this sort of thing a lot.
The 'anti-papist rapist', they call him.

entertainment

But what about that Qatari plan to terraform Mars to create a planetary scale mosque complex? Ambitious!

HMGovt_the_entire_planetary_surface_of_Mars_covered_in_a_networ_191b4960-9865-4d04-9959-f5128420ca37.png
Feels like a waste they didn't do something like this with their own cities. Same goes for Dubai. Instead of abstracted simulacra of western modernism we could have had a proper Islamic futurism.

shakahislop

Feels like a waste they didn't do something like this with their own cities. Same goes for Dubai. Instead of abstracted simulacra of western modernism we could have had a proper Islamic futurism.
i think dubai is the next new york, it's going to be a major cultural force in the about twenty years, such a unique and uber-diverse place. as did america 100 yars ago it also is an insult to european taste at the moment. i think a country where 90% of the populaton are migrants, and particularly one with migrants from all corners of the planet, plus there's an absolute shitload of money around, is at a minimum going to do something interesting

no-one agrees with me about this except a greek rock sculptor i met once

entertainment

i think dubai is the next new york, it's going to be a major cultural force in the about twenty years, such a unique and uber-diverse place. as did america 100 yars ago it also is an insult to european taste at the moment. i think a country where 90% of the populaton are migrants, and particularly one with migrants from all corners of the planet, plus there's an absolute shitload of money around, is at a minimum going to do something interesting

no-one agrees with me about this except a greek rock sculptor i met once
but why would you go there if you are interested in "culture"? there isn't a single person living there now who wants part of that plus if you have fun they shoot you against a wall

shakahislop

but why would you go there if you are interested in "culture"? there isn't a single person living there now who wants part of that plus if you have fun they shoot you against a wall
there are a load of people interested in that. i think in the west you get the idea that the westerner new money luxury dream is the only game in town. but there are also a load of like ethiopians doing their thing, migrant workers serving flat whites. neighborhoods full of filipinos. some of these guys who came 20 years ago are starting to have teenage children in the melting pot. i mean i wouldn't exactly say that it's a good place to go to for art and music etc right now. but i think all of that stuff is going to develop. it's speculation. right now there's a bit of art but the gallery thing isn't well developed, i can see that coming to something though given all the money that's around. there is a club scene but it looks repulsive. the food scene kicks nyc's arse in my opinion, if you count that as culture.

IdleRich

IdleRich
It does seem that, while there are some forces acting, as you say, to create a diverse and strange powerhouse, there are loads of pretty strong forces in place which might almost have been designed to prevent it becoming anything like any iteration of NY. So, while it may well become something - arguably already has - I don't think New York is the right comparison. For one, why should it have to be the new version of anything? And for another, imagine a place with similar conditions but no Sharia Law, such a place would map much more satisfactorily on to the Big Apple.

IdleRich

IdleRich
The food scene kicks nyc's arse in my opinion, if you count that as culture.
This is something I've mentioned before, but you weren't around Shak so.... a few years back got asked to dj at a house party for this guy I sorta knew. He had two guests from Kuwaiti royal family (well, turned out one was a princess and the other, her "cousin", was actually not related). They liked to go to Lisbon and also London (one had a flat on Bond Street) and when the doors were closed they told everyone to turn off their phones, pulled off their headscarves and got seriously stuck into mountains of gak.

I ended up back at their hotel suite (bigger than my flat) and we carried on the second night of a bender - they ignored smoking and other rules and just said they would pay any fines later - but we chatted a lot about Kuwait and so on, one thing they particularly mentioned was the food. They said how loads of their wealthy friends had gone abroad and studied fancy cooking and then they'd all returned to Kuwait where they were opening fancy high end fusion etc places all over the shop. I dunno if that translates into a good food scene cos I suspect that most people most of us know could never dream of eating in these places - but, no doubt, there is good food there.

shakahislop

It does seem that, while there are some forces acting, as you say, to create a diverse and strange powerhouse, there are loads of pretty strong forces in place which might almost have been designed to prevent it becoming anything like any iteration of NY. So, while it may well become something - arguably already has - I don't think New York is the right comparison. For one, why should it have to be the new version of anything? And for another, imagine a place with similar conditions but no Sharia Law, such a place would map much more satisfactorily on to the Big Apple.
this is what i keep trying to tell people, there aren't any similar places. i can't think of anywhere which has such an outrageously huge migrant population, it's almost everyone in the city, without exaggaration, emiritis are a minority. possibly other gulf cities are like that, doha, bahrain, abu dhabi, but dubai is also comparatively chill, open, less repressive. there are bars in certain places, you can go clubbing on the beach, you can wear bikinis at the beach etc

shakahislop

like its not paradise and i'm not defending it, we all know all the bad labour rights etc shit that happens there, it's not berlin etc, its not even beirut. but i still think something is going to flower there.

shakahislop

i guess the new york comparison comes from it having previously been that global migrant capital combined with being one of the richest places in the world (ie like 1900s new york, a bit moreso than now)

IdleRich

IdleRich
like its not paradise and i'm not defending it, we all know all the bad labour rights etc shit that happens there, it's not berlin etc, its not even beirut. but i still think something is going to flower there.
I get that and I think you might we'll be on to something, but I think that mentioning New York actually distorts and even restricts what could be a more interesting point. If you say something is the new New York (Nu-York? Neo York maybe) then you're automatically looking backwards, which seems like a pity or even a mistake when you're trying to tell us about the city of the future.

What you mean is something like it will be the capital of the world, and of course it will bear some comparison with previous claimants to that status, but arguably it's the differences that will be more interesting.

IdleRich

IdleRich
There will be resistance to the idea of course, cos we've all grown up with the centre as the west, and then we came to believe and accept that the future was gleaming noir hitech bladerunneresque Tokyo, and that we could live with... but then there was a switch towards the dirty teeming, swarming south in the form of Brazil or Mexico which I can well imagine didn't sit so well with a lot of people... but an Arab centre of the world? I think for many it will be an idea that is totally beyond the pale no matter how well reasonrd.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I get that and I think you might we'll be on to something, but I think that mentioning New York actually distorts and even restricts what could be a more interesting point. If you say something is the new New York (Nu-York? Neo York maybe) then you're automatically looking backwards, which seems like a pity or even a mistake when you're trying to tell us about the city of the future.
Even New York itself is only a pale imitation of York, let's face it.

IdleRich

IdleRich
photos required :)

Ok had some free time today so went and got a load

IMG_20230302_162904120_HDR~2.jpg

As well as the fake/detached bell tower mentioned before you have this strange sloping backwards roof. It looks like a trick of perspective but it's not.

IMG_20230302_162650341~2.jpg

IMG_20230302_162655647~2.jpg

Then, weirdest of all, the pulpit is outside round the back.

IMG_20230302_162747452_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20230302_162813308_HDR~2.jpg

Plus the whole thing joins on to a block of flats or an office or something

IMG_20230302_162842247~2.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20230302_162904120_HDR~2.jpg
    IMG_20230302_162904120_HDR~2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0

shakahislop

i love this kind of thing. it's partly a load of associations i have with it, but the singing itself is often beautiful, and (i'm pretty sure) the different system of intonation / note spacing / whatever means that it goes in unfamilar directions. i love the full blast reverb effects as well, it's amazing how comprehensively that's become the standard way of doing it, presumably these kind of effects haven't been easily accessible in most of these countries for much longer than a decade or so (i'm guessing). probably it's not room reverb on that video, and all the stuff like this on the radio is saturated in reverb