Barbie

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Just saw it, it was pretty funny and I could see some interesting ideas and approaches to cultural criticism there, but I'm not sure how well it panned out. Ryan Gosling I think is great in roles like this, similar to Nice Guys, a sort of bumbling charismatic comedy, although here it was more of a bro role.

linebaugh

Felt very analog and messy. Its very fast paced and scenes are cut into and out of crudely and the music and dialog and sfx all clash. Felt very physical and kind of pyschadelic. Lots of practical effects too, not just explosions but alot of the abstract cosmic trippy whatever you want to call it visuals.

linebaugh

The begining and end were iffy though. The end was fine i guess but could have not been included and the begining was awkward and dumb with stupid dialog that felt even more out of place because the other elements of the film werent dumb in the usual way they are in nolan films

luka

i've always been intrigued by gosling's blank, affectless doll's face. completely unlived in.
almost unnerving. but now i understand his purpose.

• Haha
Reactions: sus

luka

This is him on WALL-E (a great film) and Batman and is relevant here
i do really like this paranoid, conspiratorial mode of thinking. it's productive. it generates takes. it's exactly the same as this for example

luka

no. i first became aware of him when i watched that new bladerunner film. i thought, what is going on here? anti-charisma. a smooth surface.

sus

They built actual sets instead of using CGI for everything, which is a big plus.

FywjqUwXgAAIsAZ.jpg:large

luka

it's much more interesting to assume that capitalism produces it's own propaganda and everything is designed to prolong and promote the system, as in that k-punk quote, or any other conspiratorialist, than it is to go, oh, well, they're just films, it's just what the film maker wanted to say, why you looking so deeply into it.

entertainment

it's much more interesting to assume that capitalism produces it's own propaganda and everything is designed to prolong and promote the system, as in that k-punk quote, or any other conspiratorialist, than it is to go, oh, well, they're just films, it's just what the film maker wanted to say, why you looking so deeply into it.
form is more interesting that rationalism but it is a sort of betrayal of your intellect isn't it

entertainment

form, eidos. assuming all things have a purpose, an inner intent. assuming direct causal relationships between things. as opposed to entropy, things just happening.

sus

it's much more interesting to assume that capitalism produces it's own propaganda and everything is designed to prolong and promote the system, as in that k-punk quote, or any other conspiratorialist
well this is true, isn't it, that people produce propaganda for their ideology and interests constantly, and only semi-consciously