shakahislop

i think you're all talking about 1992. i don't think the hiphop on the radio now is homophobic. someone might prove me wrong but if it's there it's not that obvious.

malelesbian

Femboyism IS feminism.
i think you're all talking about 1992. i don't think the hiphop on the radio now is homophobic. someone might prove me wrong but if it's there it's not that obvious.
I'm more talking about the fact that hip hop has a homophobic history that remains influential to this day. Yes, most of the people in hip hop who still espouse homophobic views in hip hop are old heads and dinosaurs, but these people are the "legends" who exert a lot of influence over the culture. Furthermore, as I understand it, people from the streets have not grown less homophobic in recent times. I feel like they know the mainstream line is pro-gay, but they just see themselves as not following it. But it's hard to give evidence of what the man of the street believes.

william_kent

ff82a2b651094295c21d739f30fd047b.jpg

^ Village People

MV5BZjU2ZGI5YmMtN2FmZi00NWEyLTgxOGYtYTU3YTc3OGQyZGFhL2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTY3MTU0Mzg@._V1_.jpg

^ Afrika Bambaataa & Soul Sonic Force

spot the difference? separated at birth?

never mind the allegations

Afrika Bambaataa & Soul Sonic Force - Planet Rock

thee ultra camp origins of hip hop

malelesbian

Femboyism IS feminism.
ff82a2b651094295c21d739f30fd047b.jpg

^ Village People

MV5BZjU2ZGI5YmMtN2FmZi00NWEyLTgxOGYtYTU3YTc3OGQyZGFhL2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTY3MTU0Mzg@._V1_.jpg

^ Afrika Bambaataa & Soul Sonic Force

spot the difference? separated at birth?

never mind the allegations

Afrika Bambaataa & Soul Sonic Force - Planet Rock

thee ultra camp origins of hip hop
Yes, but most people see the plain clothes of LL Cool J and Run DMC as the true beginnings of hip hop fashion.

william_kent

I thought you "grew up" with this shit

and now you're telling me that hip hop started in 1986!?

what about DJ Kool Herc and the "merry go round" technique B-Boy and Fly-girl block parties in 1973?

the various Grandmasters? Flash / Caz, etc., mid 70s to early 80s?

and in your timeline, The homophobic Message from 1980?

you're writing electro out of the equation now?

dodgy supreme mathematics

:)

malelesbian

Femboyism IS feminism.
and now you're telling me that hip hop started in 1986!?
Come on dude. Hip hop existed in 70s but it was still in its early stages. The first hip hop song, in my opinion, was The Message. We've written Bambataa out of history for his ruined legacy. And the Sugar Hill Gang don't count because they stole Caz's lyrics
what about DJ Kool Herc and the "merry go round" technique B-Boy and Fly-girl block parties in 1973?

the various Grandmasters? Flash / Caz, etc., mid 70s to early 80s?
All those guys matter, but put it this way, Caz and Kool Herc didn't have songs accessible to the wider public. I've been looking for recordings of Caz for years, and its almost impossible to find. And it's not like we have audio or video recordings of the 70s park jams and block parties.

you're writing electro out of the equation now?
Electro matters but it had very little influence on the music that came after it.

william_kent

melle-mel-pic.jpg

^ Melle Mel on his way to the Hellfire club, complete in harness for easy access via crisco

let's face it, the 5th element isn't beatboxin', it's CAMP

ghost

i think it's already done. maybe in 1992 this was the case (i don't know i wasn't interested in rap as a toddler). rap slash hiphop seems to be one of the most busted open forms to me, people going on about anything.
My abiding fascination with the malelesbian character is most concentrated on the fact that every one of his cultural references is approximately 20 years out of date. We've heard about Tribe Called Quest, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, the evils of Andrew Dice Clay… the conversation that led to this thread included him denying that Tyler the Creator was anything other than a footnote to Tribe

malelesbian

Femboyism IS feminism.
My abiding fascination with the malelesbian character is most concentrated on the fact that every one of his cultural references is approximately 20 years out of date. We've heard about Tribe Called Quest, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, the evils of Andrew Dice Clay…
How about this?

But nooooo, hip hop has overcome homophobia because there's been a few gay hip hop artists in its entire 50 year history. There hasn't been an overwhelming amount of pro-gay content in hip hop in the past 20 years, either. Hip hop didn't get less homophobic in the past 20 years, it just got more quiet about its homophobia. You think overly huge amounts of progress have been made in recent times because you're naive and excessively trendy.

Here's a new challenge: can you find me any queer hip hop that counts as REAL hip hop? Queer rap that keeps it real? If you don't know what makes real hip hop real, you certainly don't understand hip hop

the conversation that led to this thread included him denying that Tyler the Creator was anything other than a footnote to Tribe
No, I said Tribe is bigger than Tyler and they are. Tyler wouldn't exist if not for Tribe. Tribe is one of the biggest hip hop acts ever because of their impact on the culture.

shakahislop

Hip hop didn't get less homophobic in the past 20 years, it just got more quiet about its homophobia.
i don't get you. what i'm saying is that i don't hear homophobic bars in popular hiphop that's being made now. obviously i don't know anything about what people are like behind the scenes because - it's a shock i know and i'm a bit embarrassed to admit it coz it seems like so natural a paring - i'm not actually mates with a$ap rocky

malelesbian

Femboyism IS feminism.
i don't get you. what i'm saying is that i don't hear homophobic bars in popular hiphop that's being made now.
Yes, because hip hop is more pop now, and homophobia no longer counts as a mainstream opinion. But look at the Dababy clip above: you've got one of the more popular hip hop artists saying something homophobic in a massive stadium context and TI, another superstar, defends him for it.

malelesbian

Femboyism IS feminism.
yeah so its less homophobic this seems really obvious
I never denied that hip hop has gotten less homophobic in recent years. I was just saying that there are still major homophobic elements in hip hop culture, moreso than in other popular cultures.

CorpseysEvilTwin

How about this?

“My gay fans ain’t going for that. They got class. They ain’t sucking no dick in no parking lot,” he added. “Even my gay fans got standards.”

sad to say this malelesbian my good old chapesse, but he's right. White people are incapable of having rigid, disciplinarian standards, including yer good self.

shakahislop

walking around downtown yesterday i got stuck twice on the same block, once at lunchtime because the remaining beastie boys were doing a speech and once in the evening coz migos were doing an impromptu gig in the back of a coffee shop