Larry Levan

DLaurent

What's the crack with Larry Levan?

I've heard some of his remixes like Peanut Butter and First Time Around and think they're fire. Whenever I'm looking for something to listen to I type in Larry Levan in YouTube and it throws up loads of nice beats to listen, but I haven't listened to many of his DJ Mixies?

One of the best DJs?

william_kent

Maestro - Release Yourself / When Doves Cry

edit: one of my favourite moments from the Maestro documentary which I link to in the following post

the way this guy gets worked up about a blend from 40 years ago maybe goes someway to explaining the legendary status

william_kent

Maestro - Larry Levan / paradise garage doc

highly recommended even though I could only find an inferior rip in my cursory 2 second search just now

william_kent

Imagination - Changes ( Larry Levan Mix )

I couldn't find the LP mix but Imagination's Nightdubbing album is one of the best non-reggae dub albums EVER ( edit: although only this tune is a Levan mix on the album and it's the weakest track, "go figure" )

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
Heard him here once with my brother at Ministry of all places. Look, group of reprobate mates were smashed in the capital with a bag of doves, so even if it wasn’t exactly a site party he still rocked it. Cut and paste, loads of vocals, mixed crowd tons of Heaven crew too, cant remember the ticket bs £ but worth it. An ex was a Jersey girl, heard him at Zanzibar, similar cut and paste blends, he checked out not long after

DHP forum had a few excellent if slightly tape-worn mixes of soundboards. Cut and paste blends, nothing too radical but if you want momentum, flow and transcendence his status is justified. I know Dissensus is slightly intolerant of said realms but an alchemist with his ears doesn’t come round very often. No Levan = no Knuckles, no Francois Kevorkian, no Tony Humphries, no Jovonn, no Simon DK

william_kent

not the first time I've posted this tune, but just so i can find it in future

and @DLaurent mentioned in the OP so just for reference, etc.,

Gwen Guthrie - Peanut Butter ( larry levan mix )

yet another cum shot reference

"spread yourself on me like peanut butter"

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen

Maestro - Release Yourself / When Doves Cry

edit: one of my favourite moments from the Maestro documentary which I link to in the following post

the way this guy gets worked up about a blend from 40 years ago maybe goes someway to explaining the legendary status

Heard Antonio Ocasio who’s interviewed here in Shelter with Timmy Regisford. You know how strong doves could be - imagine being in Denny’s later in the day on a giant comedown with some dove virgins who’d just met several gods…like herding cats

william_kent

Heard Antonio Ocasio who’s interviewed here in Shelter with Timmy Regisford. You know how strong doves could be - imagine being in Denny’s later in the day on a giant comedown with some dove virgins who’d just met several gods…like herding cats

doveecstasy.jpg

best drug EVER

:)

DLaurent

Can anyone recommend tracks that he played? I haven't heard this in a mix but on YouTube a lot of people mention him and Paradise Garage.

I can imagine it burning on the dancefloor, with the subtle flanger sound and driving percussion.