Larry Levan

version

hqdefault.jpg

hint

party record with a siren
I thought that it was agreed now that LL had nothing to do with this?
It was just a record he played, but it was rare so it got bootlegged. There was a series of bootlegs labelled as “Larry”, and people assumed that meant it was a Larry Levan edit because so few (in Europe) had access to the original to compare it. That early 2000s edit mania setting in, like it wasn’t enough that Larry Levan found good records and played them at the right time.

sus

Wash and Will swapping stories of ancient pill presses, all this lore casually swapped, people invested over decades in the trajectories and historiographies of a single remix

william_kent

I think they were just the best ones around at the time, in the 90s was Mitsubishis.

@sus

doves were early 90s and PISSED ALL OVER Mitsubushis

white doves were a subtle blend of MDMA and MDEA - they were the best

speckled doves were MDMA and ? smack? ket? temazepam?

images

gouching out, slumped against a club wall, drooling*

* not me, I was pure white doves all the way, I had a connection, but I witnessed the damage they could cause

"smack E"

edit: I remember some of the speckled doves had more of a discoloured brown tinge than in the photo above

but white doves, what I would give to neck one of those again....

william_kent

@sus

there were also "snide doves"

I know a guy, first one to own digital scales in manchester, who told me about how him and his crew bought a pill press and mashed up chalk and those fish tank steriliser pills or dog deworming tablets and stamped them with a "dove" and sold them to unsuspecting ravers

he made his million and got out of "the game" without getting caught*

* edit: I may have mentioned the crackhouse he also ran and the tricks he used to get the punters to run up massive debts?

IdleRich

IdleRich
I think that all the good ones got ripped off, you got doves in the late nineties too but I guess they weren't the real deal - then double doves too with two birds on, claiming to be twice the strength but....

The ones that make me laugh looking back were 8 1/2 pills, we knew nothing about Fellini, thought they were claiming to be almost nine times the dose.

• Haha
Reactions: sus

IdleRich

IdleRich
Didn't they get Pete Tong to do a voiceover on the Mitsubishi car advert? A little in-joke for a certain section of society.