william_kent

Do people drink vodka straight from a glass? Are rum and whiskey the only liqors that have that custom?

I was in the arndale centre ( A "mall" in Manchester, UK ) around 10 am and I witnessed a Polish guy in charge of a child reach in to his jacket and produce a bottle of Vodka and glug and glug, so yeah

linebaugh

I was in the arndale centre ( A "mall" in Manchester, UK ) around 10 am and I witnessed a Polish guy in charge of a child reach in to his jacket and produce a bottle of Vodka and glug and glug, so yeah
Well everyone drinks all liquors straight from the bottle. Im talking about getting a glass dropping a couple ice cubes and then pouring a couple ounces on top. You dont do that with tequila or gin, not that im aware of

william_kent

yeah, well, there's some 'rum bores' who will drone on about 'sipping'

but I'm no purist, I like to mix my rum with an ice cold Diet Coke, at least three ice cubes, a chunk of lime and a slice of lemon, but that's an ideal, just now I poured some of the parrot label rum halfway up the cup, chucked a couple of ice cubes in and topped it up with Diet Coke like the alki I've become

in about 6 hours I will have dispensed with the ice and coke and will burn my throat drinking the pretend 'rum' from Slovakia

luka

drink it straight without ice i reckon. otherwise you'll of drunk 3 litres of coke by the end of the evening and that will make you go mental

william_kent

View attachment 17919
Drinking this. Its like spiced gasoline. Im really into rums now. If your not getting into run your a fucking idiot

I'm on budget this week and so tonight I'm reduced to a dependable budget rum

if you like vanilla ice cream you'll like this rum

I made post about it in another thread

Hori Smoku - Sailor Jerry: The Life and Times of Norman K. Collins ( 2008 )

Who knew that Sailor Jerry was such an asshole? Turns out he was a racist sexist bigoted right-wing libertarian dickhead. Also a legend in the tattoo world. There's a lot of bullshit in this documentary, not all of it originating from Sailor Jerry. Other famous tattoo artists recount tall tales. Ed Hardy tramples all over Sailor Jerry to get an "in" with the Japanese masters that he ripped off. Crazy Eddie Funk gets angry at always being second place to Jerry.

I watched this in mixed company so when Sailor Jerry talks about "dial a cunt" there was indignation in the air.

but... it was an interesting glimpse into a long gone subterranean scene, which has been replaced by what the old timers sarcastically refer to as the mainstream "black tee shirts"

I'll still drink the rum named after him though - it's cheap and does the job

one of the best things about this rum is that it will fuck you up without draining your wallet and while you inevitably empty the bottle a piece of tattoo flash will appear on the back of the front label

1708833734123.png

I was having problems with my devices but I managed to take this photo on an iPad with 2% battery a couple of minutes ago ^

luka

This blend comes from two different casks: Cask 1 was distilled by brothers Axel & William with their handmade column still; Cask 2 consists of a heady rum from older brother Rommel’s copper alembic still. The combination of the three brother’s distillates is well-balanced and pops with bright, herbal, and chocolate notes that shine through the finish.

PRODUCTION NOTES​

Distiller: Rommel, William, and Axel Krassel
Region: Santa Maria Tlalixtac, Oaxaca
Cane Varietal: Java
ABV: 55.6%
Fermentation: 6-10 days with ambient yeasts
DISTILLATE 1
Column Still Distillate:
800 liters of column still rum
Aged: 30 months in ex-cognac casks
DISTILLATE 2
Pot Still Distillate:
200 liters of pot still rum
Aged: 9 months in virgin French Oak casks and rested 8 months in open-topped demijohns

PROFILE​

Nose: brown sugar, candy apple, pine
Palate: toffee, sweet mint, black pepper
Finish: chamomile, floral

luka

Nose: Cinnamon, clove, star anise, granny smith apples, pink peppercorn, maple syrup, manuka honey, and chamomile tea. Very gentle and soft with that peppery, oak driven backbone still being present. After the addition of water, honey Halls, clove, ginger, lemon zest are what I’m getting. It’s a little bit more intense now that it has had some time to blossom, more of what I was hoping for.

Palate: Black pepper, cinnamon, clove, gingersnap, star anise, maple syrup, manuka honey, and chamomile tea. The heat is really well tamed here while allowing the flavors to pop, though admittedly they are far from intense to begin with. The resting of the pot still distillate and lower portion in the blend gives it a good leanness without being thin too. After the addition of water, honey Halls, spearmint, clove, and ginger all the way through. A little bit more richness in the flavors here which was nice.

linebaugh

there are many countries which produce rum that you would not expect

and Mexico may be one of those from what I'm gathering from your query...

so, no, I have never had a Mexican rum

do you have an opinion, or even better, a recommendation?
Ive only had that one that ive posted up thread. Ive only had two rums. But its good