luka

yeah there are theyre easily the most ethnically diverse and cosmopolitan crowds in london. its not even close.

woops

is not like other people
we all hate Tim Martin but we all love the Rochester. there you will find people of every demographic that wants a cheap pint. people of every continent.

luka

a social life dominated by drinking seems like a relic now, and not a particularly lamentable one, but it is as much the demands of the work culture as anything else i suspect.

luka

or perhaps we could about a mixed biscuits reading and posit a decline in the stock. we can't handle it like our forefathers could. we've lost our native vitality and vigour

luka

there's a reason that edmund, at 44, is the youngest regular at the Rochester Castle. he calls his companions 'the rochester granddads.'

luka

this site documents london pub culture and mourns it's demise but there's something regressive, sentimental and even pernicious about it i think. i understand the sentimentality but ultimately it's quite distasteful. women at home, men sinking a few after work, expecting dinner in the oven etc. https://www.instagram.com/londonpubexplorer/

luka

the problem is more that nothing seems to be able to adequately replace it though the growth of the resturaunt and cafe sector goes some of the way i suppose. the pub and the church were the twin sites of community and both have fallen by the wayside.

luka

when edmund says the rochester is the only place in stoke newington where people aren't afraid of strangers he's quite right and gets at something important.

luka

the new apartment complexes try to foster something with their shared workspaces and gyms and concierges but on a much more insular, exclusive and paranoid scale.

version

I see a lot about younger people being the most antisocial ever. A lot of older people remarking that they don't like answering phones, don't go out clubbing, can't read etc.

Maybe that's the case for some of them, but they're clearly responding to their environment. A new type of person is being born. One suited to an automated, screen-mediated world.

It's that Bourdieu article from earlier. An environment's been, and being created, which fractures all collectives.

woops

is not like other people
never mind bourdiey someone's made a petition online to save our Rochester sign it unless you are a total disgrace of a human being