GRIME- breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

gabriel

The Heatwave
yeah come on who saw slimzee, skepta or riko???

Riko was wicked, really funny on the mic going on about his in-laws and taking on the crowd over his allegiance to Man Utd, and MCing a few tunes over various riddims as well. Live recording and photos are up now on the new Heatwave website:

http://www.theheatwave.co.uk/music/item/rikodan2007/

There's also a short video of him MCing as well, though it's a bit dark (literally, not figuratively, LOL)

rikodan2007-01col.jpg

benjybars

village elder.
Riko was wicked, really funny on the mic going on about his in-laws and taking on the crowd over his allegiance to Man Utd, and MCing a few tunes over various riddims as well. Live recording and photos are up now on the new Heatwave website:

There's also a short video of him MCing as well, though it's a bit dark (literally, not figuratively, LOL)

rikodan2007-01col.jpg

wicked that looks like it was a good night!

what about skepta's release party, anyone reach that??

mos dan

fact music
heatwave was fucking wicked that night :) lovely vibes

thanks for pestering me/reminding me gabe! i then ran off to catch slimzee.

but i missed skepta. which was also great, apparently.

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
Tracklisting 2007/10/29

BIG H / FINAL RALLY / BLOODLINE
SCORCHER FT WRETCH 32 & CAPS / TAX FREE MONEY / ALWAYZ
TINCHY STRYDER / MAINSTREAM MONEY / TAKEOVER/ADAMANTIUM
WILEY FT JME, CHIPMUNK & SKEPTA / NO QUALMS REMIX / BIG DADA
SKEPTA FT TRIGGA, SPYDER & FLOWDAN / IN A CORNER / BOYBETTERKNOW
DOCTOR / BADMAN TING (CALM DOWN) / GPP
ASHER D FT ELRAE / HAD ENOUGH / AD82
FACTION G / DEAR GRIME / COMMITTEE
SCORCHER / SUPERTRIGGER FREESTYLE / ALWAYZ
TINCHY STRYDER / BREATHE / TAKEOVER
DEVLIN / NOTHING NEW / OT
WRETCH 32 FT SCORCHER, BASHY & SHAMELESS / PUNCTUATION REMIX / M.O.V.E.M.E.N.T.
FRISCO / LYRICAL SKENG / ALWAYZ
FRISCO FT LAY Z & DANNY B / BUSY WITH THE BARS / ALWAYZ
ROADSIDE GEEZ / KEEP IT MOVING / RSG
JAMMER FT LICKLE J / BAD MIND PEOPLE / JAH MEK DA WORLD
TRIM / LOOKIN OUT / SOUL FOOD
RIKO FT SCRATCHY / DON'T GET CAUGHT / ROLLDEEP
LAUREN MASON / HATERADE / DUB
TERROR DANJAH / MORPH / HARDDRIVE
WILEY FT FLOWDAN, TINCHY STRYDER & MESSY / IT'S A PAR / ESKIBEAT
GRIMINAL / NOT JUST BARS / N.A.S.T.Y.
P MONEY / FEELING OF POWER / DUB
FRISCO / NO EEDIOT / ALWAYZ
NASTY JACK / EMILE HESKEY RIDDIM FREESTYLE / DUB
DIZZEE RASCAL / FLEX / XL
SKEPTA / I'M THERE / BOYBETTERKNOW
THE BUG FT FLOWDAN / JAH WAR / NINJA TUNE
DURRTY GOODZ / RELOADS / HARDDRIVE
FIRE CAMP / LET ME HEAR YOU SAY / LETHALBIZZLE
GRIMINAL / IT'S A LOT / N.A.S.T.Y.
BLACK DA RIPPER / WOW / DXP
SKEPTA FT JAMMER / I SPY / BOYBETTERKNOW
TRIM FT SLIX & LEE BRASCO / FREE ROACH / SOULFOOD
DURRTY GOODZ / TAKE BACK THE SCENE / AWKWARD
TINCHY FT RAPID / LINE EM UP / RUFFSQWAD
BIG H / FINAL RALLY / BLOODLINE

spooky girlfriend

Wild Horses

rikodan2007-01col.jpg

safe for this, I simply can't get to these things. This really perked me up after nauseating sweetbwoy-fest that is 'Motivation Music Vol.3'. Grime is tacky by definition, but you need to have standards ffs

mos dan

fact music
i took a complete grime novice to the rinse night at cargo yesterday. he is basically an indie kid through and through.. anyway, his verdict was that JME was talented but lacking gusto, Jammer was too quiet and unsure of himself (i had to agree on this), but that Skepta had real, immediately-noticeable star quality - he pointed out that S was constantly checking different sections of the audience, seeing how they reacted to particular lines, getting them involved by getting them to finish off his bars by pointing in their direction etc.

interesting to get a fresh perspective sometimes.

petergunn

plywood violin
on an unrelated subject, is vinyl dead as a grime medium?

looking at chemical records, rhythm division, and independance, it seems like they are either selling off their old grime stock cheap or hardly selling any grime at all, instead selling dubstep and bassline stuff...

mos dan

fact music
well i don't dj so i don't really know, but bok bok went into uptown the other day and asked if there was any new grime in, and the guy laughed, he actually laughed.

gumdrops - yeah, jammer was a bit off-colour, and his voice was a bit too high for the mic to pick his bars up properly. i haven't seen him put in a consistently good live performance for a while, actually.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
on an unrelated subject, is vinyl dead as a grime medium?

looking at chemical records, rhythm division, and independance, it seems like they are either selling off their old grime stock cheap or hardly selling any grime at all, instead selling dubstep and bassline stuff...

As I've said before somewhere in this thread, I don't really understand why these artists would be rushing to put out vinyl releases - it seems like every grime DJ and every grime DJs best mate are using CDJs and Serato anyway.

We need (high quality) digital releases!

benjybars

village elder.
well i don't dj so i don't really know, but bok bok went into uptown the other day and asked if there was any new grime in, and the guy laughed, he actually laughed.

i dunno, i picked up the latest two adamantium releases (which for some reason i haven't seen mentioned anywhere) yesterday. one is stryder - mainstream money & sorry you are and the other is skepta - match of the day and 3 other bangers.

big up adamantium!

(oh and cameo was in uptown when i was there moaning to some guy about how he'd wish people would stop saying he never plays grime on his show... er, play some grime then)

mos dan

fact music
i dunno, i picked up the latest two adamantium releases (which for some reason i haven't seen mentioned anywhere) yesterday. one is stryder - mainstream money & sorry you are and the other is skepta - match of the day and 3 other bangers.

big up adamantium!

yeah i def echo that sentiment - big tunes all of them.

love the cameo story. fucking 'dirty pop'.. don't make me laugh.

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
The Tinchy and Skepta records were on TP in Uptown only. They will be available everywhere from next week.

Look out for promos of an instrumental EP from Maniac next week as well, which is his first solo release on wax.

petergunn

plywood violin
yes, we're doing that one - DJ Premier is on the line-up as is Mary Anne Hobbes

so, this is Premier from Gangstarr, huh?

on the bill w/ Terror Danjah...

kinda makes more sense this way, as Terror's sister lives in NYC is down w/ TC Islam, Jazzy Jay and the Zulu Nation peoples...

nice crossover...

gumdrops

matt masons original liner notes for the prancehall mixtape that i have cut n pasted from prancehalls site. not quite sure about ears and the other mcs he mentioned as being positive signs of grimes future but hey, these might be the best sleevenotes ever on a grime mix-cd. not that theres much competition but still. even if there was, these would probably still be the best.
-------------------------
I can't find a picture to go with the text, so here is a random video. The stuff below is ex-RWD editor Matt Mason's liner notes he wrote for my mixtape about a year and a half ago when grime wasn't really going anywhere fast. I don't know why it's taken so long for me to put it up. I'm not even sure how it relates to my mixtape. But here it is:

Hey, Grime, can I see you in my office for a minute?

Thanks. Close the door, have a seat.

Want a coffee?

Sure?

Ok, well, I'll get right to the point. Um... we've been getting a lot of complaints recently about you, and... there is no nice way to ask you this.

WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU?

I've just been told some fucking blogger named Prancehall is making a grime mixtape with VICE magazine. Bloggers? We did not hire you to hang out with bloggers. That's dubstep's job. When I left London you were right on track to become the greatest scene of all time in the making - "the bastard sons of Blair's Britian" transmitting your anger live from every council estate rooftop. Fast-forward two years and you're just a bunch of twelve year old pussies screaming about shanking each other and how much money you've got on MySpace? Seriously, where did it all go wrong?

I guess I should have known you couldn't handle the pressure. The same thing happened to the last guy I hired - UK Garage. He was great to begin with, always smartly dressed in that Moschino suit he wore with lips and peace signs all over it, all the girls in the office liked him, but then the job got to him. I gave him too much money, which of course led to him doing way too much coke and he started bringing me shit like Shanks & Bigfoot, so I had to fire him. Same thing with the guy before - Jungle. He lost his focus and disappeared up his own ass. Then there was that Hardcore dude in the white gloves, he was a weird little guy, but you? I thought you were different? Now I gotta fire you too?

Hey, stop crying. Listen, in the beginning you brought in some good guys. Boy In Da Corner is a classic. You know I love that Jammer guy, Wiley is great too and we can't forget about Lethal B and D-Double - he was different, but what's with all this other half-assed shit? Maybe you were doomed the moment the broadsheets started masturbating over Dizzee or when major labels started signing people like Plan B. I didn't say anything at the time, I should have, but I thought you had the situation under control. I'm sorry.

Listen Grime, what I'm trying to say is it seems to me that you've reached a fork in the road. All this "I've got bare cash and gash" shit isn't fooling anyone. We don't need lessons about how to make money from a spotty cunt on Channel U in a Nike tracksuit with Ribena stains down the front. If any of you actually give a shit about making some dough, forget it, just go home. The top boys in grime don't even make 20k a year - and if they did they'd have bought a blazer and fucked off to the funky house scene ages ago. It's just not going to happen. Everyone in England is bored shitless of you. In the US you'll never even be as big as Lady Sov's chest. Put the mic down, draw for the plunger and become a plumber. Fuck it, plumbers make good money. Pretty soon you'll be living in Essex driving a turquoise Z4 you bought on credit, and trust me you'll be a lot happier.

But if there is a slim chance you are not the waste-man I think you are, and I only say this because there are still grime artists out there I'm excited about, (young MCs like Scorcher, Ears and Faction G, classic producers like Statik and Jammer), if you do actually want to be heard, start by being honest with yourself and speaking to people in this country about something real. Stop pissing about with guns and knives and make some decent music. I'm not going to have you up in this office again. Anger is a gift my little friend, but it's also a curse. If you don't start using it wisely, you're done.

This is your final warning Grime. So, fix up, look sharp and try reading a fucking book. Now get out of my sight.

MATT MASON

CEO of UK URBAN MUSIC LTD (currently in liquidation)

gumdrops

dizzee - flex (behind the scenes thing)

last 30 seconds are funny... dont know why they used the crappy cheesy remix for the video instead of the album version though.