GRIME- breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

RAISED BY WOLVES

Logan....

You don't know how happy it makes me to see Big H leading off this weeks track listing. Have to go to RWD for the rip later.

How's the tune though?

He's been a personal fave of mine for time now. No one seems to mention him on here (probably because he never releases anything) but I'm curious to see if this (supposed) mixtape generates any buzz.

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
www.grimemixtapes.com You can listen to it in full here

lol@Matt's list of promising young MCs. I'm wondering who the shit ones are then? He can't be taking Channel U to be a serious part of the scene. Must be difficult to keep track of who is doing what over there in New York.

viktorvaughn

i took a complete grime novice to the rinse night at cargo yesterday. he is basically an indie kid through and through.. anyway, his verdict was that JME was talented but lacking gusto, Jammer was too quiet and unsure of himself (i had to agree on this), but that Skepta had real, immediately-noticeable star quality - he pointed out that S was constantly checking different sections of the audience, seeing how they reacted to particular lines, getting them involved by getting them to finish off his bars by pointing in their direction etc.

interesting to get a fresh perspective sometimes.
I thought this was a fantastic night considering it was a mid-weeker. People were going mental for Skream and Benga and hearing some classic Heartless bars over it was great. There was a mosh-pit for some of it. Shame it's so hard to convince people to come out midweek to hear music they don't really know much about...

Skepta has the true star quality of a great punchline rapper. I think Jammer has quite a quiet voice.

Spyro was excellent. Youngsta was a bit boring.

I didn't mind the funky house at all to be honest! Lots of it sounded quite fast and clacky, almost like 4/4 flavoured instruental grime. Not the monsterosity I expected (though not as fun as bassline of course).

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
It's funny that Matt Mason chose to use the metaphor of him being an employer that hires and fires musical genres. Spoken like a true VICE journalist - definitive answers given by a hyperbolical, arrogant and criminally under researched cool-jockey.

Perhaps he should call the magazine he works for into his office. I've heard some things about them too.

Last edited:

mpc

wasteman
matt mason was one of the founders of RWD mag. i think he's as entitled as anyone to comment on grime. the music pieces in vice tend to be written by the same 3 or 4 people every month and they all know more than enough about the music they cover. you're right about the hyperbole and arrogance, though.

"cool-jockey" - where did you get that from? ian hislop?

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
matt mason was one of the founders of RWD mag. i think he's as entitled as anyone to comment on grime. the music pieces in vice tend to be written by the same 3 or 4 people every month and they all know more than enough about the music they cover. you're right about the hyperbole and arrogance, though.

"cool-jockey" - where did you get that from? ian hislop?
Writing for RWD mag doesn't really entitle you to anything (see: Chantelle Fiddy), and I wasn't talking about you. Your article with Luca is one of the only reasons I pick VICE up anymore.
Ian Hislop? Cheeky cunt.

Last edited:

mos dan

fact music
yeah that list of promising young MCs is jokes.. but it was written ages ago. i thought the liner notes were hilarious, but (as it was written 18 months or so ago) matt's got a lot of the predictions wrong. but then people do get predictions wrong. reynolds got grime's future wrong too around the same time.. i don't think many people around the start of 2006 saw grime going anywhere at all - like downhill all the way.. that was just before the mixtape/bbk explosion, wiley getting re-signed, various comebacks, the new talent from the youngers (the *actual* youngers, not jammer lol). it was very easy to write it off completely then.

anyway the bit at the beginning about it being dubstep's job to hang around with bloggers is sublime.

i think ive listened to fuck radio 5 about 3 times a day the last 3 weeks, its so good. one of the rarer moments when i dont find ghetto unlistenable. but for me its griminal and little nasty, (brutal aswell, but not as much) who ran that show

was it just me or were they sending for chipmunk quite hard that show

anyway, ive heard chipmunk do better. nasty's greengate bandanas bars are something else!

RAISED BY WOLVES

i think ive listened to fuck radio 5 about 3 times a day the last 3 weeks, its so good. one of the rarer moments when i dont find ghetto unlistenable. but for me its griminal and little nasty, (brutal aswell, but not as much) who ran that show

was it just me or were they sending for chipmunk quite hard that show

anyway, ive heard chipmunk do better. nasty's greengate bandanas bars are something else!

Me too.

That one part at 22 mins or so with devs and ghetts gets straight reloads in the car stereo.

Pretty sure that the Greengate bandanna bars are Grims...but nasty was coming hard with the bars on that set too. the two of them have flow and voice that I think hold them way above the rest. That's the problem with Devlin (who I rate highly otherwise and still find very listenable), Brutal (whose got bars but the voice irritates me), and lightening (who just plain sucks most of the time)

Chipp's voice gets to me as well. Don't know how they were really sending for him hard though...I could see a couple indirects, but for the most part it seems like with very few exceptions grime Mc's sendage is "all in good fun" and more about comp. and levels than anything else.

The set's a must listen though. Good to hear Seac popping out the woodwork once in a while as well.

msoes

im exactly the same. have listened to this nonstop. my favourite release/whatever of 2007.

favourite bits

little nastys demon lyrics around 7-8 minutes, especially where the beat changes and he goes to that ragga bit.

griminals bandmana in a bandana and the grimmest bars 17-22minutes

lightning over maniacs beat at 39min and then p money jumping in. then more p money and then little nasty 'i couldnt give a fuck if he's hong kong fooey'.

continuing the live nights...

Terror's launch party is tonight at Bar Rumba. haven't seen any flyers though so I'm not totally sure but Ghetto, Black The Ripper, Spyro, Mary Anne Hoobs and others are reaching according to Terror's myspace

and Premo's playing! gotta be a grime first for that kind of name surely?

whose reaching?

bun-u

Trumpet Police
1755153357_335166be70.jpg