zhao

there are no accidents
accept nothing as fact
question everything
determine your own truth
define your own reality...

...be your own messiah

sounds good.

yet it is posited that the "natural", neutral, default state of modern man is indoctrinated, encoded, and imprisoned -- since birth. and one can not simply "clear one's head" or "become free" by taking a stroll in the park.

furthermore, it can be argued that the only tools with which one can dismantle the layers of interiorized control and ideology, the only way man can deconstruct the complex burdens upon his soul, are to be found in books, and disciplined hard work. criminally oversimplifying things here: spiritual leaders like G.I. Gourdjiff or post-structuralists like Foucault or Derrida, I believe are all trying to do exactly this: provide these tools and ways with which to excavate our humanity under the weight of civilization; to chisel away, albeit slowly and with much difficulty, at the invisible prisons which surround us.

rob_giri

sounds good.

yet it is posited that the "natural", neutral, default state of modern man is indoctrinated, encoded, and imprisoned -- since birth. and one can not simply "clear one's head" or "become free" by taking a stroll in the park.

furthermore, it can be argued that the only tools with which one can dismantle the layers of interiorized control and ideology, the only way man can deconstruct the complex burdens upon his soul, are to be found in books, and disciplined hard work. criminally oversimplifying things here: spiritual leaders like G.I. Gourdjiff or post-structuralists like Foucault or Derrida, I believe are all trying to do exactly this: provide these tools and ways with which to excavate our humanity under the weight of civilization; to chisel away, albeit slowly and with much difficulty, at the invisible prisons which surround us.

and that de-programming and unconditioning comes with giving away to style and accepting truths when they are staring you in the face instead of ignoring them and/or being destructively skeptical towards them

Regarding your brilliant comments on Derrida and Foucault (and Gurdjieff!), thats the point i was making at the beginning in relation to how the search for culture, music, french philosophy was merely a 'search for truth' and should not be thought of as anything but. All of these things WE all have a common interest in are not contradictory: I never suggested you are living in lies and illusion, thats the reason i brought up this discussion in the first place as i have already stated. Dissensus is full of people who are intelligent, creative and interested in the truth of things, and who adore anybody in the past who has sought to dismantle the 'indoctrinated, encoded, and imprisoned' chains that surround modern man. I have sought to relate and unify for you in theory all aspects of humanity in the past and present who have this singular intention in mind - and yes i do other things than 'wanking' on the internet. We all want the same thing. Therefore i see no reason why any of you would be against something like The Oneness Festival (http://www.experiencefestival.com) other than that if there were an aspect of you that were violentally and cynically captained by style and fashion. But i make no judgements...

bassnation

the abyss
This is getting quite boring now. All you are talking about is your opinion vs other people's opinions.

It is only you on this thread who is so egotistical that you call your opinion "truth".

to turn this on its head - nobody is living a bunch of lies and illusions - they are living their truth. You seem annoyed that they aren't living your truth. Having met many contributors to dissensus I can honestly say that all of them were completely conscious that there is more to life than working until you die, or the physical.

for those of us actively trying to create a world which is more equal and more in harmony with nature (instead of wanking on about casteneda and new age healing on the internet) your comments about our "illusions" are at best insulting.

further to this, i'd suggest the average person is much more in touch with the unity and oneness of everything as opposed someone who spends hours worrying about healing crystals and occult symbols that have no real meaning. at least they are living in the here and now - which i believe is what people like cotb strain to achieve with all this stuff anyway. i don't think hes quite there with the loss of ego thing just yet, do you?

any worldview that involves looking down your nose at the majority of people is bullshit and deserves to be treated as such.

Last edited:

john eden

male pale and stale
The festival which COTB refers us to is interesting in that, for some people, it could be merely another way to take on the "style and fashion" which he feels gets in the way of communion with the unity.

I am reminded of people who got into taoism or zen buddhism and were essentially more attracted to the "orientalist" trappings than the lessons to be learnt. The finger pointing at the moon.

I am not sure where that leaves us.

Probably back at my comments about human frailty existing in all human belief systems. Or perhaps about how you say something being as important as what you say.

rob_giri

The festival which COTB refers us to is interesting in that, for some people, it could be merely another way to take on the "style and fashion" which he feels gets in the way of communion with the unity.

I am reminded of people who got into taoism or zen buddhism and were essentially more attracted to the "orientalist" trappings than the lessons to be learnt. The finger pointing at the moon.

I am not sure where that leaves us.

Probably back at my comments about human frailty existing in all human belief systems. Or perhaps about how you say something being as important as what you say.

Rather - i was using the festival in question as an example of something, supported by the leaders of multiple faiths and celebrating EVERYTHNG that i have explained to you, that would perhaps seem to be 'too cheesy' to be accepted by you. Amusingly enough, I think you just proved me right too ;)

And yes, thats why I personally like Crowley so much, because he was into all of this stuff and had a lot to say about the 'orientalist' issue and the nature of style/fashion that i am also talking about. Since you seem to also be somewhat of a fan, I will quote one of my favourite Crowley moments, from Eight Lectures on Yoga (in which he explains the science):

'There is nothing mysterious or Oriental about anything, as anyone knows who has spent even a little time intelligently in the continents of Asia or Africa. I propose to invoke the most remote and illusive of all Gods to throw clear light on the subject (Yoag) - the light of common sense'

This is the spirit, or the direction, in which i am coming from.

further to this, i'd suggest the average person is much more in touch with the unity and oneness of everything as opposed someone who spends hours worrying about healing crystals and occult symbols that have no real meaning. at least they are living in the here and now - which i believe is what people like cotb strain to achieve with all this stuff anyway. i don't think hes quite there with the loss of ego thing just yet, do you?

any worldview that involves looking down your nose at the majority of people is bullshit and deserves to be treated as such.

Interesting - i have already told you i am not interested in involving myself, and I have already mentioned that anymore personal stabs will at best prove my point that you are being unneccessarily aggressive, cynical and will thus use anything you can against me to avoid the point i am trying to make. At this point it would be good for you to sit back and meditate on that one rather than being anymore negative and/or making anymore of a fool of yourself.

To answer you question, not to prove myself but in order to quench your thirst to comprehend how one can live their life with this kind of understanding - i live every day in rememberace (or zikr in the sufi tradition) of the unity of all things and of the love and light of the present moment, and impart this in a non-direct way on all whos paths i cross. However, I have not spent any time in any sort of traditional spiritual setting such as a temple or such, and am thus not a particuarly purified being such as you would find when a human being submits itself to hardcore spiritual training 10 hours a day or other such things. I see no morality behind this. I do however use crystals as a means of stilling my consciousness, use certain healing modalities that i am trained in and perform certain meditations, and abstain from alcohol and drugs (though i do take some mescaline every year or so). I don't claim to be enlightened or purified in any way such as you have projected on me due to your own assumptions (which are the mother of all fuck-ups by the way), and see myself as havin an equal footing with all beings in this universe. However, i will claim that any chance i get to dissolve any part of myself that is not in elignment with Truth - i take it.

You may also want to roll back to the start of this thread and examine where the judging and personal stabbing started, for your own reference... anyway...

Yes, why talk about this stuff? Because people like us are very logical people but we have very unconventional minds also - we are interested in the truth of things but we must have as much proof as possible in order to accept it. I would not bring this stuff up in such a logical framework with anyone but people like yourselves, whom, I might add, i have always had a great deal of respect for. Dissensus has always represented to me the cutting edge of cultured, intelligent, open-minded people - people interested in a plethora of human experience represented by all forms of artistic endevour. So I was interested to know how that would face up to all this stuff. When, how, and why does the cultured and intelligent mind turn ugly when it is confronted with things that it can't handle?

I might also add that i was not always like this, and once had a massive ego that would react violentally if anyone ever said anything that fell below a certain elitist standard of style that i once had. That part of myself, it turns out, just needed to be beaten into submission by volleys of common sense...

Submission - yes. Perfect, graceful, and harmonious submission...

;)

Last edited:
the only way man can deconstruct the complex burdens upon his soul, are to be found in books, and disciplined hard work. criminally oversimplifying things here: spiritual leaders like G.I. Gourdjiff or post-structuralists like Foucault or Derrida, I believe are all trying to do exactly this: provide these tools and ways with which to excavate our humanity under the weight of civilization; to chisel away, albeit slowly and with much difficulty, at the invisible prisons which surround us.

that might be all well and good for gourdjiff, focault and derrida and the peoples of their ethnic/cultural origin but i come from a culture of oral traditions...

...no books, just word of mouth. I'm more into revisionist workings of our traditional myths and we're not very civilised either :D

how do you think those people you mentioned might help me ???

and also I'm not quite sure what a soul is...

rob_giri

that might be all well and good for gourdjiff, focault and derrida and the peoples of their ethnic/cultural origin but i come from a culture of oral traditions...

...no books, just word of mouth. I'm more into revisionist workings of our traditional myths and we're not very civilised either :D

how do you think those people you mentioned might help me ???

and also I'm not quite sure what a soul is...

may i ask, which oral tradition to you hail from?

And thats also the point - Derrida, Foucault or Gurdjieff are only going to be suitable for highly-intellectual people who think in those terms - which is only the minutest percentage of the population of any society, let alone the world. You can talk about them here, but there would be no point of bringing them up to anyone down the road - the truths they talked about can be talked about in much simpler terms and understood by the common person. It seems to be only the vastly intellectual mind that desires complexity, sometimes seemingly for the sake of it...

The soul is not that much of an complex idea to understand. Traditionally, the idea is: You have the body, which can be seen as somewhat of a transmitter, or step-down transformer, and then you have You - your essence of who you are beyond your emotions and your thoughts. You are all these things too, but you spring from a much lighter singular point of awareness. This lighter point transcends the dimensional densities of space and time, and is thus, in lack of a better word, 'infinite'. There are long lists of traditional words for this term from different cultures. IMHO i think it is best to check all the traditions for their understanding in order to see the perspective of the concept beyond the limitations of culture and language

Perhaps, as you stated, the best idea would be to revision the myths, spiritualities and cosmologies of the 'shamanic' tradition within your culture and, as Crowley says, shed them in the light of common sense. Beyond the symbols and content pertaining to their cultural context, there are many pure ideas and pure concepts that you can extract from the body of the tradtion which you can then study. What i would do is, once you have extracted the ideas, then go about comparing them to other traditions, from the other side of the world even. Keep an open mind about the powers and levels of insight these ancient people had, and see what you find :)

Care to share any particular stories?

Last edited:
I'm polynesian living in NZ...

...try this

THE IO ORAL TRADITION OF NGAAPUHI

BTW in polynesian myths the telling of the story could be done with 2 jawbones...

magicjawbone8uz.jpg

...the upper and the lower. The lower telling was a parable, a story suitable for the campfire or a childs bedtime. The same telling with the upper jawbone had hidden meaning known only to initiates and children taught from birth to continue the sacred knowledge/traditions

and then there is the third eye of the tuatara acting as guardian which you had to pass in order to see what lies beyond...

...way more interesting than some crusty old whiteguys talking in big words about shit of little relevence to the common man, don't you think ???

nothing is perfect
in the space where nothing exists
will one find perfection
the perfect nothing

BTW Io is prounounced like eeyore from winnie the pooh but with no R sound at the end...

...funny how it also signifies 1 and 0, something and nothing, on and off like binary code ;)

rob_giri

The polynesians were cool dudes, they have a 13-moon calander system, mapped the Precession of the Equinoxes and were able to travel accross the pacific using just the stars. The Kahunas of Hawaii are very powerful and knowledgeable beings also. I have also read and spoke to people that Maori leaders communicate astrally with the Hopi in the USA, and there are stories of them travelling physically to eachother too.

Speaking of the nature of Io, Maori Marsden talks of Io as
"both Being-itself and absolute Nothingness. That is,
He is truly infinite, encompassing within himself
both the absolutely Positive and absolutely
Negative".

That could just as easily read as an explanation of Brahman.

From reading what you linked, Io is an identical metaphor for the supreme intelligence. The way it talks about the different aspects of power and activity/passivity sounds very much like Hindu symbolism of Creation, Preservation and Destruction and all the sub-aspects of them.

And this is just ace:

The Double Spiral

One way of symbolizing Io, the universe and the human person
and our knowing of these realities is, for me, the double spiral,
which is itself a symbol of light and knowledge.

The knowing I am speaking of is the knowing that comes from
the experience of these realities especially in ritual and in the
use of the karakia. This is a knowing beyond space and time, a
knowing in the 'eternal present' of ritual, the knowledge from the
third basket of knowledge, te kete tuaatea, 'the basket beyond
space and time'. This knowledge can also be seen as an experience
of oneness - of the person and people; of the person and the
cosmos; of the person and Io. And so it can be seen as taking
place on three major inter-related levels or stages - on the level
of the human person; on the level of the cosmos; on the level of
Io.

Wow this is great! Mauri sounds like its symbol stemming from the same observation that produced the symbol of Shakti in India, and Te in China and the 'Father and Son' in Christianity - the energy that brings the source into action. Shiva Shakti, Tao Te - Essence and Manifestation.

I think its also cool how in the language they describe the essences of the One such as Love, Truth, Beauty, Awareness, Light, Unity, Creation, Destruction as simply Io-this and Io-that - and in so doing imply that all these different aspects of essential consciousness are all varying distortions of the same infininite Source. Thats fucking great!

I don't have much energy to keep reading more but yeah, that sounds great.

Once again, all these words and crusty-white guy terminology - hypothetically if we were to learn about the rhythms of Spirit from Hinduism or Taoism, then walk into a Maori camp and hang out with them and talk to the elders about what we know and share stories, i have no doubt that we would get along and they would surely tell us that they are all on about the same thing.

Great, isn't it? Thanks for sharing - I've never been to NZ but have heard many stories that its a very beautiful and very powerful place. Would love to make it there some day.

Fuck, plane ticket is only like a hundred bucks from where i am, too!

polynesians were cool dudes ???...we still are !!!

...back in the day we not only used the stars to navigate but also read the currents bouncing of distant islands and reflecting back as interference patterns in the waves

and yup there are some pretty powerful and beautiful places here, if you know the stories behind them it makes them all the more special...

...one of my childhood mentors was a magnet for all sorts of flakes and mystics, man could she tell some stories

there is even talk of maori being the pahana...

rob_giri

polynesians were cool dudes ???...we still are !!!

...back in the day we not only used the stars to navigate but also read the currents bouncing of distant islands and reflecting back as interference patterns in the waves

and yup there are some pretty powerful and beautiful places here, if you know the stories behind them it makes them all the more special...

...one of my childhood mentors was a magnet for all sorts of flakes and mystics, man could she tell some stories

there is even talk of maori being the pahana...

haha - yeah sorry, you are cool dudes...

that sounds incredible - i will visit one day, where abouts are you located? you grew up in NZ yeah?

just one question:

about everything ive said in this thread; you dig, or what?

;)

N

nomadologist

i can barely follow this. can't really tell if Child is right about anything. i thought i might be one of the worst acid burnouts in history but you got me beat.

N

nomadologist

what is that drink the fiji tribespeople are all about? kava? one of my friends is kinda like you Child and she always makes me drink kava with her and it just. doesn't. work. i don't really feel anything except the taste is interesting and my mouth goes numb. and my stomach hurts for days.

I'm in Christchurch COTB and yeah i dig. Locked in a 4d spacetime continuum limits our perceptions to the sensory such that ultimate reality and the absolute truth that comes with it can only be speculated upon...

nomadologist : kava or ava depending on which island you're from is something you need to binge on for at least a good few hours or so and plan to do nothing for the rest of the day

DJ PIMP

what is that drink the fiji tribespeople are all about? kava? one of my friends is kinda like you Child and she always makes me drink kava with her and it just. doesn't. work. i don't really feel anything except the taste is interesting and my mouth goes numb. and my stomach hurts for days.
That sounds like the Kava experience.

In a ritualised Fijian kava ceremony the men sit in a circle and pass round the bowl or cup. They sing songs. The drink more kava. They pass out and fall backwards onto cushions. The singing continues. The fallen arise. The kava keeps flowing...

rob_giri

Cool if i'm ever in Christchurch ill drop you a line...

Kava is a muscle-relaxant, i haven't really got much out of it, taste farkin' awful too - though doing it in a traditional setting would be interesting....

they are replacing most Kava use in the US with the South American plant Mulungu. Its alright stuff....

...mays well just smoke pot though, y'know? :cool:;)

yeah totally man, i'm an acid-burnout - all the stuff i've said is just 'hippy bullshit'... mays well just ignore it...