Newham Generals

sodiumnightlife

Sweet Virginia
i thought there was quite a few stand out beats on that 29/4 show that i got.....incidentally what is that tune that gets a million re winds about half an hour? think its a benga tune.

i thought there was quite a few stand out beats on that 29/4 show that i got.....incidentally what is that tune that gets a million re winds about half an hour? think its a benga tune.

that must be night by benga/coki - that gets wheeled by the grime crews so so much, personally i dont think its that great but they all love it

gumdrops

theres a post on rwd saying that monksta is out of the group now... not a bad thing IMO. i like some old sets that hes on but i pretty much hate how he sounds now.

monksta leaving in not a good thing

he adds that third bit of difference. like footsie said "as mc's...well double's f*****, monksta is f*****...i'm f******"

sama - that article is quite important imo...esp seeing as a few grime pa's have been happening in that 'triangle' - more capped revenue and that...

but really what I came on here to type is...just why do you guys have so much hope in NG's? they haven't had a 'hit' since 2004/5 really, bars are always recycled...monkey's left now...obv double is over big but still...

Last edited:

gumdrops

i still have hope cos....
their sets are big
they have good taste in beats (well most of the time, prangman and showerman are what im thinking of, although they have a lot of really really poor vocal tracks too - just listen to that first mix cd)
also, theyre on dizzees label, so i reckon he might be able to groom them and present grime as it should be presented (although when they might actually do that i dont know)
theyre also one of the best crews ive seen live
and scars 2 was an amazing track - footsies a great producer

BUT

DEE doesnt seem to have any new bars, or at least not any hes showcasing
and im wondering how good an album from them might actually be

viktorvaughn

They playes some new tracks when i saw them with Dizzee. Tunes called pepper, Bell Dem Slags, Wet Pussy (!), one about snakes/fake bredrins etc. The beat for Pepper was fucking quality.

The mic level was a bit low in the mix, but they were actually good performers, interacting with each other, walking round the stage, hyping the crowd etc. When they sprayed some bars at the end and Dizzee did some classics (glass full of Alazay right to the brim etc.) you could forget some of the recent rubbish. He is a class performer.

There is hope for them i think. They were both head to foot in Maharishi clothing, dunno if that's some sponsorship thing.

I only remember Tubby playing 1 grime beat (Slew Dem's 'grime') the whole time, seems well on the dubstep tip, tho the Gens seem to have perfected spitting on those type of beats. Dee does need some new bars tho - he had to resort to those ones about giving a girl a better shag next time (on 'my house' with Bruza's 'bash me bishop' line + kano) which are dead funny but not really rave bars. And there was quite a bit of 'it's mweeeee mweeeeeeeeeee' etc. repeated.

Last edited:

gumdrops

im thinking that DEE is maybe lacking inspiration or something - would explain why showerman was credited only to footsie and why he seems to be doing most of the radio sessions. maybe thats why there is no album yet - they just dont have the material or theyre just not ready yet. or maybe its just not good enough.

footsie seems to be the one to watch at the moment, out of perhaps everyone/anyone, he is just overly hype right now and he's killing it anywhere he touches mic (put badness in there too) - funny cos it used to be double who was the predominant force for so long, but yeah hes been getting stale and a bit lager lad like recently check their latest rinse shows - bell them slags? no thanks

peppa, larva, tempa - at teh moment

gumdrops

saw newham gens last night at koko
to my surprise, they are somehow really crap live. when ive seen them before its been them doing live rave-type sets, and theyve been really good doing that, but when they were doing their (too long) opening set last night, the songs are just dull plodders that go nowhere, and footsie and DEE have very little idea or interest in really performing or doing anything on stage - they just stand about at each side barely moving at all
i dont think the albums gonna be up to much personally - their songs arent anywhere near as good as what you get on rinse, theyre pretty dull on the whole, not very energetic at all dissapointingly
there were maybe 1 or 2 songs that came alive (there was one good one with badness) but the best track was this thing they did at the end over this really fierce house beat (might have just been them emceeing over a dubstep dub though, not sure)
im thinking maybe its their beats too which arent produced or engineered well enough or something (*maybe*) but they still seemed boring

viktorvaughn

the best track was this thing they did at the end over this really fierce house beat (might have just been them emceeing over a dubstep dub though, not sure)

Was it a really driving kinda 4/4ish beat? Cos theres one called pepper i think which sounded immense live.

gumdrops

maybe it was that
it was 4/4 and yeah it did sound VERY immense
they livened up much more when the songs got a bit faster but i dont know why most of their songs feel so bloody slow
maybe i missed them (got there maybe 10 mins after they came on) but i didnt hear showerman or prangman

Ach!

Turd on the Run
Newham Gens sets on Rinse have been shower for aaaaaaages now. Going through a few from the last year or so I came across so many riddims that I need to identify. Lets see if anyone can shed some light on the names or producers of any of these:

Newham Generals (rinsefm) - unknown riddim 01
This one's from a more recent set. A kinda half-steppa/hiphop style beat. Menacing.

Newham Generals (rinsefm) - unknown riddim 02
I think this one's been about a while. Probably a Tubby or Footise production I think. Incredibly haunted and twisted vocal samples.

Newham Generals (rinsefm) - unknown riddim 03
I absolutely love this one - it was on the sets on Rinse when Dizzee accompanied them. It has some excellent blaxpolitation flick horn samples - definitely movin.

Newham Generals (rinsefm) - unknown riddim 04
Real lovely one this. Not sure if it's dubstep or not, but has some wonderful synth flourishes. A headnodder, I've gotta know more about this one.

Newham Generals (rinsefm) - unknown riddim 05
Pretty sure this one is by Waifer from Slew Dem. Real twisted, glitch-grime.

Newham Generals (rinsefm) - unknown riddim 06
This might be by Footsie. I think it's fairly old, but certainly an anthem.

Newham Generals (rinsefm) - unknown riddim 07
One from a recent set. Real abstact 8bar(ish) switch.

Newham Generals (rinsefm) - unknown riddim 08
"This one's a steppers". Think it might be a Braindead production.

Newham Generals (rinsefm) - unknown riddim 09
This contains a sample from the film 'Rockers', which was also used in the jungle anthem by Splash - 'Babylon'. Roots-style.

Newham Generals (rinsefm) - unknown riddim 10
Finally, this one has got to be a dubstep track, but I have no idea who it is.

Come on, you lot must know more than I do.

Last edited: