Newham Generals

Blackdown

nexKeysound
i know so much has been said about this tune already, but i thought i'd add that geeneus said the other day he reckons it's "the new request line" in terms of its pan-genre reach.

in fact i'd go as far to suggest it's larger. all the djs in the new london funky house scene are hammering it, its already big in dubstep, skepta made it big in grime, zane lowe's played it three weeks in a row. proves the power of BBK in Napa!

gumdrops

if waifa is the guy who does most (or all) of slew dems beats, he should get talked about a lot more than he does. i would love a copy of 'gunman skank' on vinyl.

gumdrops

some new tracks on newhams myspace. not bad, they seem to have gotten the hang of making 'records' now. wish they used less sparse (?) beats though and some of the more fucked grimestep-type ones tubby plays. there really is no way their album should have average production. all they need to do is pick some of the beats they rhyme over every sunday and it would be instantly monumental - theres so many good ones they could have. move to the beat is pretty good, i like that rave-tribute one they have too but the best one though is footsie's its foots. sick!

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
I've been lying to myself for a long time now telling myself that the Newham Generals have still got it, but the truth is they are going to have to do something pretty drastic to remain relevant (i.e. release that fuckin album already).

D Double E is undoubtedly one of the genre's best, but every time I listen to the Gens show I'm disappointed - by their tracks, by their sets - the only thing I really still feel is Footsie's beats. They've had a couple decent new songs, but nothing really spectacular. D Double is fucked, and when he gets reloads its some of the hypest shit I've ever bared witness to, but he's been doing it for years now.

Anyone else feel this way?

tomd

penis like a micromachine
D Double is fucked, and when he gets reloads its some of the hypest shit I've ever bared witness to

i feel the same there, yet ive never heard that hype recorded other then rinse. whenever i hear a newham track its normally boring, double just sounds like someone drained the hype out of him.

gumdrops

i think theyve DEFINITELY still got it when it comes to live sets whether in a club or on rinse, but their recorded tracks are 90% of the time well below par. they just dont really work, barring a few here and there. DEE definitely fares worse on studio tracks than footsie, but neither are as good recorded as live. dee is still hype, but footsies been carrying them both for a good while now by constantly coming up with good new lyrics. dee seems to just use the same old ones again and again. i think they could pull something good out of the bag, but big a fan of them as i am, i just dont get that same feeling from their songs that i do from a live set. i can say that for a lot of grime mcs but more so for NGs, for some reason. on a lot of their studio tracks, theyve gotten better at recording (maybe dizzee has helped them) but they still sound more sedate and much less raw than on the sets. plus the beats are rarely as good.

mos dan

fact music
they really need to get on with it, i'm thinking. but i've still got faith there are some actual SONGS in there somewhere waiting to come out. there's still too much dullstep in tubby's rinse selections for my liking too.

gumdrops

if they fucking get a move on and release pepper, things could warm up nicely for this album. i hope they dont drop the ball with that track. has a lot of potential. not expecting anything too amazing for the album, being a realist, but would be happy if they just release some great 12s.

footsies been carrying them both for a good while now by constantly coming up with good new lyrics. dee seems to just use the same old ones again and again.

i'm not too sure about that. the last six or seven newham sets with dee have contained new bars.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
I'd LOVE to see 'Walking In The Air' at number one for xmas. God, would that make my year.

Best version was by Irn Bru though

Ach!

Turd on the Run
I was just looking at Tubby's myspace and it's got Super Tennants on there, which is a Braindead anthem. Are NGs still on Rinse on sundays? What's happened to their album?

gumdrops

these guys are DONE. dizzee's pretty much shafted them. not that i think their album would have been much good anyway, but even so, would have liked to have heard it. still worth checking live every so often but ive stopped DLing their sets every week like i used to. no idea what its like these days. got bored of the dubstep plodders too.

gumdrops

thats just cos dizzees on def jux (so much for grime breaking through to the american 'core' hip hop audience) that theyre on that bill. good for them, but their live show is a bit lacking when theyre just doing their own songs. i know its a diff climate these days and everything w/r/t releasing music, but they should put out SOMETHING. pepper should have been out last year. that could have broken them through to house/techno deejays too.

gumdrops

yeah - def a step up from their old vids. type of thing that would make ppl sit up and take notice too. am excited for the album (again).