swears

preppy-kei
There are plenty of middle class yobs, I went to school with loads of them. Living in 5 bedroom detached houses and still beating the shit out goths and geeks.

swears

preppy-kei
yobs

Sort of...but I think more specifically it's somebody that enjoys violence in general as a hobby, constantly talking about it, as if it defines them as a man or something. Pathetic.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
the words "chav" and "yob" make my skin crawl.. or any sort of accepted race / class prejudice.

I don't think there's any sort of class implication in the word 'yob'. For example, Prince Harry is a complete yob (and all the better for it: that's how our royals should behave - the male ones, anyway - not like his fucking boring goody-two-shoes foreign-gap-year nobody of an older brother).

I'd say a yob (or yob-ette) is any unnecessarily loud, coarse, aggressive, annoying person.
Such people come from all walks of life.

Last edited:

barry_abs

lil' beyutch
oh, so a hooligan then? urgh.. i grew up around that mentality.. retarded but unavoidable, sadly.. some people love fighting.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I think using the term "chav" to describe working class people in general is pretty vile, but some people (including middle class types) are annoying, violent, tasteless, petty, aggressive and wilfully ignorant. Those who suffer most from chavs are the working class people getting mugged and burguled in their own neighboorhoods. Not to mention getting up every day to go to some minimum wage job when there are people scamming disability benefits and accident insurance so they can do fuck all.

While in theory this might be true, I've never ever heard the word applied to anyone middle-class in practice. While middle-class kids may play this role for a while, they have somewhere else to retreat to when they're bored of it/stigmatised by it.

It's true that aggression/pride in ignorance is endemic in a lot of places (including where I grew up in north Kent, where the term 'chav' originates from), but there's complex reasons for that.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
While in theory this might be true, I've never ever heard the word applied to anyone middle-class in practice. While middle-class kids may play this role for a while, they have somewhere else to retreat to when they're bored of it/stigmatised by it.

It's true that aggression/pride in ignorance is endemic in a lot of places (including where I grew up in north Kent, where the term 'chav' originates from), but there's complex reasons for that.

Another thought to tack onto that one - I know a lot of middle class people who are almost incredibly ignorant, but who escape any kind of stigma despite the fact that they're the ones hogging all the university places/cushy jobs that everyone 'below' them on the social scale can't access (and as a result of which are justifiably quite pissed off).

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Hmm, good point. Wrong choice of words. What I meant is that any stigma they do receive doesn't have any kind of negative effect upon them/isn't turned into a buzzword by the media etc.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
speaks volumes about the general class of the media collective.

Certainly does, but having been to a few media newsrooms, I know they are stuffed with upper middle class people. Hence all the articles (as someon wrote earlier) about seocnd homes in Devon.

I personally think that 'chav', 'yob' and 'hooligan' are all used to designate "uncultured" (ie working class)-ness in the press.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I personally think that 'chav', 'yob' and 'hooligan' are all used to designate "uncultured" (ie working class)-ness in the press.

Aren't you just as guilty, then, by equating uncultured-ness with working-class-ness?

***Edit: sorry, you did say "in the press". My mistake...*****

But just a minute ago you were talking about ignorant (and presumably uncultured) middle-class people.

If some guy wants to pick a fight with me for no reason as I'm walking home minding my own business, I don't particularly care at that point how many books he's read (although chances are the answer's 'not many'). For my money, designations like 'yob' and 'hooligan' (leaving aside 'chav' for a moment) have more to do with aggressive or otherwise antisocial behaviour than anything else.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Aren't you just as guilty, then, by equating uncultured-ness with working-class-ness?

***Edit: sorry, you did say "in the press". My mistake...*****

But just a minute ago you were talking about ignorant (and presumably uncultured) middle-class people.

If some guy wants to pick a fight with me for no reason as I'm walking home minding my own business, I don't particularly care at that point how many books he's read (although chances are the answer's 'not many'). For my money, designations like 'yob' and 'hooligan' (leaving aside 'chav' for a moment) have more to do with aggressive or otherwise antisocial behaviour than anything else.

All I was trying to say was that, in the eyes of the media, 'working-class' and 'uncultured' are virtual synonyms.

I think that with 'yob', there are class undercurrents too. It's not as likely to be applied to a group of public-school rugby boys engaging in a bit of violence, as it is to kids from estates who are roughing people up.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I think that with 'yob', there are class undercurrents too. It's not as likely to be applied to a group of public-school rugby boys engaging in a bit of violence, as it is to kids from estates who are roughing people up.

But seriously, though - when was the last time you heard about 'public-school rugby boys' beating up (or stabbing or shooting) someone in the street? It generally *is* kids from estates who engage in this sort of behaviour, for one reason or another, and there's not much point in pretending otherwise.

swears

preppy-kei
But seriously, though - when was the last time you heard about 'public-school rugby boys' beating up (or stabbing or shooting) someone in the street? It generally *is* kids from estates who engage in this sort of behaviour, for one reason or another, and there's not much point in pretending otherwise.

Mate of mine got the shit kicked out of him recently (and he's big too) by a load of posh rugby player fellas for no reason in a nice area walking home from the village pub. It happens.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.

Yeah, sadly that's true, and the reasons are probably along the lines of boredom and desperation. But, hey, middle class people beat other people up too - it's just not as good a story for the papers (unless it's someone famous' son/daughter)...

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Mate of mine got the shit kicked out of him recently (and he's big too) by a load of posh rugby player fellas for no reason in a nice area walking home from the village pub. It happens.

Really? That's horrible, whoever the perpetrators are, though I expect kids-from-estates are probably responsible for things like that more often than 'posh' kids.

Of course, no single demographic or social group has the complete monopoly on behaving awfully.

DRMHCP

I think using the term "chav" to describe working class people in general is pretty vile, but some people (including middle class types) are annoying, violent, tasteless, petty, aggressive and wilfully ignorant. Those who suffer most from chavs are the working class people getting mugged and burguled in their own neighbourhoods. Not to mention getting up every day to go to some minimum wage job when there are people scamming disability benefits and accident insurance so they can do fuck all.

Perhaps the old fashioned term "yob" is more appropriate.

there'd be no problem if it was only used for "yobs" as its apologists often pretend but to a high proportion of its users it basically means any working class youth who left school at 16...same as townie...which also used to really piss me off when I was at university. I was around 30 when I went and had never even heard of the term townie before then.
As for that disgusting site Chav Scum...to me it just makes the people who post on it and especially the owners look far bigger tossers than any so called chavs.

Suppose there could be a rival site called "Student Scum" full of pisstaking of people who have gap years, go to rock festivals, listen to indie music, go backpacking, talk in false working class accents, piss off the local people etc

Last edited:

Noah Baby Food

Suppose there could be a rival site called "Student Scum" full of pisstaking of people who have gap years, go to rock festivals, listen to indie music, go backpacking, talk in false working class accents, piss off the local people etc

That, my friend, is honestly the best idea I've ever seen on this here forum. Someone really should do this. I am willing to help all I can. Living in Leeds gives me SHITLOADS of photo opportunities for this. There is a market for this, there really is! Let's do it!

p.s. I went to university, but I didn't chatter in a loud Home Counties accent whilst on a bus crowded with working, local, people. And neither did I expect the WHOLE FUCKING CITY TO MYSELF! Enjoy working in a call centre, pricks!

hahaha...when you type it into a browser it looks like "student's cum".