barry_abs

lil' beyutch
Suppose there could be a rival site called "Student Scum" full of pisstaking of people who have gap years, go to rock festivals, listen to indie music, go backpacking, talk in false working class accents, piss off the local people etc
brother, i'd crease myself at a student scum site.. i've hung out in leeds and seen the subcultures noah refers to , and it's chock full of entertainment (on the same level that people find "chavs" entertaining)..

i don't feel guilty about laughing at pricks.. hell, i'm a prick and i know people laugh at me, so fuck all them pricks right back.. one man's messiah is another man's prick.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Suppose there could be a rival site called "Student Scum" full of pisstaking of people who have gap years, go to rock festivals, listen to indie music, go backpacking, talk in false working class accents, piss off the local people etc
Dissensus: fighting prejudice with prejudice.

I grew up with 'chav' as being another teenage faction who you might chat to if you were in the same class or who might heave a rock at you if they were pissed and you didn't look the same as them. Loads of them were from nice backgrounds in leafy suburbs, so it wasn't a straight class thing either. But the way the word gets used nowadays by people who've just picked it up as a nasty stereotype they can use and not only get away with it but seem 'down with the kids' is fucking unpleasant.

swears

preppy-kei
I grew up with 'chav' as being another teenage faction who you might chat to if you were in the same class or who might heave a rock at you if they were pissed and you didn't look the same as them. Loads of them were from nice backgrounds in leafy suburbs, so it wasn't a straight class thing either.

That's exactly as I saw them as a kid, in fact I associated it with rich kids who could afford expensive tracksuits and trainers. Just another group alongside moshers, geeks, hippy/raver types, indieheads etc...
'cause we called 'em "scallies".

This is in about 96-97 I suppose.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
That's exactly as I saw them as a kid, in fact I associated it with rich kids who could afford expensive tracksuits and trainers. Just another group alongside moshers, geeks, hippy/raver types, indieheads etc...
'cause we called 'em "scallies".

This is in about 96-97 I suppose.

'Chavs' used to be called mods, and they were called 'casuals' in the early eighties. At this point in time I would make the distinction between a rude boy and a chav, rude boys being the ones who dress up more. Casual boys wore a wedge haircut, with blonde highlights, single gold earring, eyeliner and Fiorucci and Tacchini jumpers, and were that exemplary mod conjunction of effeminate and threatening when done well. The girls looked good, the great ones were all muted pastels. None of the websites dedicated to casuals get it right, if you do a search, they looked much better than history is allowing them to, kinda like David Bowie circa Heroes. Much like I'd imagine 'chavs and rude boys are going to be written about as looking shit whereas some of the kids I've seen look just fucking amazing.

Last edited:

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
'Chavs' used to be called mods, and they were called 'casuals' in the early eighties.
Wouldn't it be fairer to say that the style and the other subcultural tropes come from the same basic impulses? I mean, if you teleported a random chav back to the sixties not many mods would pick them out as 'one of us'.

And it goes back at least to the teds if you want to go that far. Actually, what was the start of the whole continuum?

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Wouldn't it be fairer to say that the style and the other subcultural tropes come from the same basic impulses? I mean, if you teleported a random chav back to the sixties not many mods would pick them out as 'one of us'.

And it goes back at least to the teds if you want to go that far. Actually, what was the start of the whole continuum?

I guess...fairer...I hope what I'm saying isn't miscontrued, but I think the chavs are generally soul boys. I think the connections are deeper, and I think that poor time-transported thing would be assimilated pretty quickly, much less so than if put in with the teds, who I think were much less tolerant really. I never really got how the teds turned into such a dumb bunch. I don't think the basic impulses are the same for goths and for chavs, are they? Or am I being a hopeless romantic with regard to subcultures?

Oh man, the dandies really I'd say started the whole thing off, the bloke I used to work with wrote a whole book on all that stuff.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Yeah, but in all seriousness: has anyone ever had 'art school scum' start a fight with them for no reason?

I mean really?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
A little piece in the Guardian the other day that neatly sums up everything that annoys me about the paper, entitled Are we using too much olive oil?, by Zoe 'Pointless Blitherings' Williams.

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
People who put rubbish in my recycling box.

I bet you don't get that in Sweden or Japan. It's the British disease I tell you.

swears

preppy-kei
Every time I see a vegan, they always look really gaunt, pale and flakey-skinned. It can't be that healthy.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Every time I see a vegan, they always look really gaunt, pale and flakey-skinned. It can't be that healthy.

Of course it isn't. But what does physical health matter when you can sustain yourself on PURE MORAL RIGHTEOUSNESS?

N

nomadologist

I knew some vegans in college. Every last one of them has turned to back to meat. I noticed the girl vegans actually would gain a lot of weight, because all they ate were carbs, which made them constantly hungry looking to manufacture some ATP for sustaining energy, so they'd eat more carbs, causing their insulin to fluctaute wildly causing even more carb cravings.

I really can't stand it when vegetarians (I was one for 8 years, but it had mostly to do with having dissected cadavers one too many times) or vegans try to claim that it's "unnatural" to eat meat. In that case, how do you explain appendices in humans? Or gallbladders? Canine teeth? Meat is simply the most efficient way to get the fatty acids and lipids and proteins people need to create energy. Gross but necessary.

Last edited:

john eden

male pale and stale
People who order bottles of champagne at the bar at festivals "to impress a girl".

People who never discipline their kids, even when they are getting right in my face or are being violent to other children.

john eden

male pale and stale
People who order bottles of champagne at the bar at festivals "to impress a girl".

In general, anyone who insists on drinking things involving fucking mixers and straws and umbrellas when I am behind the in the queue and just want 2 or 3 pints.