August FWD & Rinse FM @ The End / youngsta & Riko / general excitment / thread

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
I enjoyed it. Some of the white girls deserved to get snot wiped on their skirts for their appalling, appalling manners. The guy in the Nike T-shirt pissed me off, though he could have been warning smokers about the weird Tall People who seemed to be polis-ing the event without badges, but I doubt it. The skinny guy who had internalised his oppression to the extent he was apologising for moshing I thought was sweet, but the couple behind me who thought he was causing 'aggro' need to have fucking rock lessons.

Didn't think it was too hot, didn't come out soaked.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
Fuck FWD and fuck the End.

I got there at 9.30, waited in line for THREE HOURS in queue with just about every trust-funded, undergraduate, I'm-funny-when-I'm drunk wasteman in London, moved about 4 metres in that whole time, went "This is definitely not worth it." and went home angry.

I can't believe I missed Dirty Canvas waiting in that line so long.

gumdrops

i couldnt go either as i had a friends v important soiree to go to but i find it weird when i always read reports from ppl here describing the people that go to fwd, making it seem like these are the only ppl who go there! (does dissensus just not want people with cut glass accents liking grime or dubstep?)

outraygeous

i bought a last minute ticket - strolled straight in.

vectra and spyro were good. slim just showed off with his dubplate selection. this was good.

karnage and wiley murked

newham gens killed it.

i thought at one stage the air vent everyone was beating was going to fall down.

mighty mo appeared later on in the night but i had gone by then.

the best grime/dubstep event this year.

tom pr

I got there at 9.30, waited in line for THREE HOURS in queue with just about every trust-funded, undergraduate, I'm-funny-when-I'm drunk wasteman in London, moved about 4 metres in that whole time, went "This is definitely not worth it." and went home angry.

I can't believe I missed Dirty Canvas waiting in that line so long.
Timing aside (we got there about half ten, waited until quarter past one- we left when they started doing one in, one out, with us still about 200 people from the front), my thoughts exactly. Of course, we should've bought the tickets in advance, but I've never been to a grime night with these sorts of queues. There were people in the queue who didn't have a clue what grime or dubstep was, and were only there because it was the End and they'd heard of the club and it was central.

Hold tight the dude in the queue with us who'd come down from Sheffield though, I hope he ended up getting in. We should've just gone Dirty Canvas...

Last edited:

UFO over easy

online mahjong

You come across really well in that post

Was a decent evening..

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
what were appleblim and kode9 playing? any new surprises?

kode9 had Flodan MCing with him, I wasn't feeling his set, other people are probably better qualified to speak about it.

Surprise of the night for me was hearing Wiley's 'Morgue' that loud, and just how fucking good it sounded, it was like the bit from Close Encounters. Newham Generals with Tubby n Geeneus b/b fucking owned it.

nomos

Administrator
good review at blackdown's. sounds great. reasonable sounding explanation for the camera thing too. someone should let the dubstep forum crew know before all of that righteous indignation leads to an aneurysm :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
I really feel for anyone who queued for ages and didn't get in. Must've been galling.

but it's not fwd's fault that they put on a big, obviously popular night, which sells out one of the biggest clubs in london. Similarly it's not the end's fault that they attract a crossover crowd - thats part of the reason why fwd / rinse want to be there.

it was always going to sell out...

it was a good night, not the best dubstep or grime experience this year - jme's birthday bash was way better, but there were some good moments. I just remembered the smile on everyones face when wiley breezed through quickly to the pulpit, his set was quite good, he was certainly in the mood to mc but he was better than karnage, who drew for some good dubs but wasnt all that lively and kept the pace of the set fairly slow.

spyro b2b vectra was sick (the last tune spyro played anyone???), shame the sound system in the bar wasnt all that - just not enough detail like blackdown says. and slimzee played a sick selection

i thought appleblim's set was good, distance was ok, kode 9 and flowdan was good when flowdan went on a rampage and just slewed. its a shame he has almost no diversity in bars though. he just has to cycle through them every so often. the sound system wasnt really geared for playing any of kode9 stuff, just mid bass and treble domination.

i really didnt think the newham generals with tubby b2b geeneus killed it. for some reason the mic levels were effed, and you could barely heard d double for about half an hour, i saw him get visibly frustrated while footsie was shouting so loud it hurt - i think dee had been lacking a bit of confidence or something, footsie was the one telling him to get on the mic, telling him which bars to spit - and it was only when he'd got into a sustained flow that he really came into his own and started getting all angular. he wasnt getting that much crowd appreciation either, whereas footsie was. it also didnt help that geeneus and tubby did not draw for a single grime riddim for the 50mins of their set that i saw. just pure wobble - yeah it was fun but bring back the grime please.

all in all it was quite good, the end isnt the best place - the whole dj thing in the middle is a bit shit, but there was a nice variety on show

bouncers at the end arent pleasant either, fucking searching through wallets and everything, and the queue was ridiculous, got there at 9.20 and it was already about 100 long.

tom pr

but it's not fwd's fault that they put on a big, obviously popular night, which sells out one of the biggest clubs in london. Similarly it's not the end's fault that they attract a crossover crowd - thats part of the reason why fwd / rinse want to be there.
Oh yeah, it's my fault for not buying tickets in advance. In the grand scheme of things this night being so popular is a good thing, but at 2am with another corner of queueing still to get round, it didn't feel that way. ;)

Mr Jeg

suck your thumb

i feel you, exactly the same thing happened to me. the main problem was that the security outside weren't doing their fucking job properly - policing the front of the queue (where there are fucking steel BARRIERS to stop people barging in) and never taking a look at the back, where people were just constantly pushing in the whole time. i didn't even notice this was happening until about 12 cos i was getting drunk and messing about in the queue (i may well have been that very wasteman sickboy!) hold tight the dickheads in front of me too prang to stop any old rudebwoi from pushing in front of them. said fuck it at one o clock and went to a horrible bar in shoreditch instead. AWESOME.

absolutely gutted i didn't get in, was really looking forward to this. but yes, my fault for not getting tickets. never again. hope you all had a shit night and didn't enjoy a second of it, in the best possible way of course :D

Last edited:

UFO over easy

online mahjong
good review at blackdown's. sounds great. reasonable sounding explanation for the camera thing too. someone should let the dubstep forum crew know before all of that righteous indignation leads to an aneurysm :rolleyes:

or perhaps ammo should've actually explained themselves better in the first place rather than just instructing appleblim to announce bluntly, 'no cameras'

just like if they hadn't waited weeks to announce their podcast system (which surprisingly works really well!) there probably wouldn't have been such a fuss about the ammo vs. barefiles issue.

as professional as they are, maybe they need to work on their people skills.

tom pr said:
Oh yeah, it's my fault for not buying tickets in advance.

well...

I stupidly didn't buy tickets either, but it was stupid, and I was lucky to get in. How you could expect it to be easy after all this hype is a bit baffling :)

Just re-read blackdown's review of the evening, and whilst it is very well written and conveys a great sense of just how momentous an occasion it was, I can't help but compare this positive outlook with his recent overwhelmingly negative stance on the development of the genre.

He seems at cross purposes - on the one hand crying out for musical development, full of praise for those pushing boundaries like Kode 9 and Appleblim, simultaneously deriding the anthem bashers and dubstep's evolution into one big ''drop contest'. On Pitchfork he talked about dubstep 'entering into a drum & bass-style harder-than-thou contest', and yet when Tubby and Geeneus' uninspired anthem bashing set absolutely exemplifies this, it doesn't warrant comment next to the sheer spectacle of dubstep ramming out a huge central london superclub.

The big sellers are generally, with a few notable exceptions, the big dropping, hard-hitting anthems, and these are the tunes that went down well last night. I did have fun yesterday, but I honestly don’t think we can have it both ways. We can either have forward thinking music, or we can have superclubs. Interesting music, or professional music. "With scale, you gain audience but lose detail."

Last edited: