kano - new album 'london town'

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
Some of them are, some aren't. Some have those 16 hi hats and oh so predictable Southern drum rolls. Those are Hip Hop. Some are different enough from the Hip Hop that inspires it to be Grime.

And how can Kate Nash be on more Grime albums this year than 99% of Grime artists?

gutting isnt it.

i downloaded the promo sampler thing and it was fucking shit, the albarn one was the least bad

it would be nice if they hooked up with other mc's like they used to instead of hoping something else will carry them along (lethal/kano/dizzee)

big up wiley for not doing anything so silly, he'd doubtless have ample opportunities at collabbing with indie acts, right?

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
Major label Grime is creatively bankrupt. I was watching an incredibly interesting documentary tonight on BBC about the british Soul scene. And listening to the stories of 40 and 50 year old mean talking about the british music industry, it was amazing that it is still so identical today. The british record industry has not changed in 30 years when it comes to predominantly black music. It was really eye opening.

Soul Britannia? Yeah, it's a great show. Depressing as all hell when they're talking about preference given to American artists, etc; as you said, nothing's changed.
It's amazing to me to think of the parallels between the current grime scene and like two-tone and shit back in the day as well, or the invention of Lover's Rock etc. I don't know why I'd never made the connection before today.

As an aside, I saw "The Real Thing" live late last year- the Liverpool band featured on the programme. Amazing stuff, really; the content was way ahead of it's time aside from the more commercial singles, like.
Well worth checking out, I'd say, if you can get the chance. I'm sure they're pretty easy to find online.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Wiley's playin at the South Kilburn Festival on the estate this Saturday, afternoon to early evening he's headlining. If it don't rain I'll be there I reckon.

Lol I completely put this in the wrong section, sorry.

Last edited:
Major label Grime is creatively bankrupt. I was watching an incredibly interesting documentary tonight on BBC about the british Soul scene. And listening to the stories of 40 and 50 year old mean talking about the british music industry, it was amazing that it is still so identical today. The british record industry has not changed in 30 years when it comes to predominantly black music. It was really eye opening.

That documentary was an absolute travesty. It missed out numerous important British soul artists to shoe horn in a bunch of white rock musicians instead. It was sick. The thinking no doubt being that focussing on black music without a few friendly white faces thrown in will somehow alienate viewers.

It's the exactly the same line of thinking that no doubt lays behind many of the guest appearances on the Kano and Dizzee albums.

Tyro

The Kandy Tangerine Man
Soul Britannia? Yeah, it's a great show. Depressing as all hell when they're talking about preference given to American artists, etc; as you said, nothing's changed.
It's amazing to me to think of the parallels between the current grime scene and like two-tone and shit back in the day as well, or the invention of Lover's Rock etc. I don't know why I'd never made the connection before today.

As an aside, I saw "The Real Thing" live late last year- the Liverpool band featured on the programme. Amazing stuff, really; the content was way ahead of it's time aside from the more commercial singles, like.
Well worth checking out, I'd say, if you can get the chance. I'm sure they're pretty easy to find online.

Lovers Rock was VERY important in the 70's/80's....The ying to Dub's yang....Horse and Carriage,as a cockney would say.You can't have one without the other! ;)

http://www.myspace.com/thekandytangerineman

Tyro

The Kandy Tangerine Man

''Children Of The Ghetto'' and ''Stanhope Street'' were both great songs, but likewise ''You To Me Are Eveything'' and ''Can't get By Without You'' stand as Classic British Pop Records.

The leap between Kano and Craig David should not be too great for the 'Great British Pop Public'.They make a great combination IMHO.

All this 'Soul City Talking' makes me feel nostalgic about doing the hustle in Kilburn Lane circa 1975 .God Bless Billy Ocean!

mistersloane

Lovers Rock was VERY important in the 70's/80's....The ying to Dub's yang....Horse and Carriage,as a cockney would say.You can't have one without the other! ;)

There's a great tale about that with my mate Andrea walking down Brixton High St and a guy coming up and asking her what music she liked ( she looked punk ) and she's like 'what?' and he's like, what sort of music do you like, soul or lover's rock?

There was a time when for a certain type of peeps there WERE only two types of music, and those were them...and god bless em for it.

Tyro

The Kandy Tangerine Man
There's a great tale about that with my mate Andrea walking down Brixton High St and a guy coming up and asking her what music she liked ( she looked punk ) and she's like 'what?' and he's like, what sort of music do you like, soul or lover's rock?

There was a time when for a certain type of peeps there WERE only two types of music, and those were them...and god bless em for it.

And the all knowing BBC has to put David Bowie and Mick Hucknall [!] at the center of the 'Soul Universe' LOL!

myspace.com/thekandytangerineman

mistersloane

I sincerely wish I WAS joking! Apparently Simply Red had a profound effect on spreading the word of 'Soul Music' in 'Thatcher's Britain'.Or some such S**T.

Believe?!!?

Lol I dunno I never really took The Face seriously. I woulda said it was Imagination, myself.

Tyro

The Kandy Tangerine Man
Lol I dunno I never really took The Face seriously. I woulda said it was Imagination, myself.

Now you are talking! Leee John is as important to soul music as Diana Ross!

''Your Mind,Your Body,Your Soul'' = Two Step Bliss!!

As much as I hate him, it'd would have been harder to ignore Simply Red's sales than to include him. Although why he garnered that much time and attention I have no idea.

gumdrops

i like the albarn collabo - at least his presence is subtle. its a bit more interesting than the usual big guest chorus bollocks. eg - that kate nash hook is just AWFUL (as is the 'cover' of police and thieves).

Last edited:

gumdrops

been listening to this quite a bit to give it a fair shot - its quite bad i think. really lacks any strong standout songs. buss it up is one of the best but vybz kinda makes kano look a bit feeble in comparison. don corleone did a great job on the production of it though.

gumdrops

seriously, its shit

lol

i was looking for the right word and thought shit might be a bit cruel but after several replays, no, its in fact quite apt

i hope he can rescue himself after this cos i cant see the pop audience going for it and i cant see the 'urban' crowd going for it either

a shame, when you listen to that freestyle over wonders what from lord of the decks again...