kano - new album 'london town'

mos dan

fact music
I'm actually really pleased I hadn't heard a single track off the album when I interviewed him, I woulda gone in with a totally different mindset.

Fwiw all the girls I know still love him, I think it should still sell fairly well.

All I gotta do now is convince all the girls I know that Tinch is 'the new Kano' haha.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
http://rapidshare.com/files/44944090/K-LT.rar
pw- 44Atze

barely even worth my neighbour's wireless that i downloaded it on.

Cheers mate.

I guess I should be bracing myself.

That track Logan played on his show on Monday, the one without Craig David, was swag x10. That bit where he slows his voice down "like they do in Houston" or some shit... embarassing. His voice is so high when he slows it down he just sounds like a normal person.

Last edited:

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
Hmmm...

I hope I have a promo/sampler copy cuz mine (I got it more than a week ago) has only 11 songs on it. My favorites are "London Town", "Buss It Up", "This Is My Life", "Bad Boy" , "Sleep Tight", "Over & Over" and "Production Of My Environment". The Kate Nash featured "Me & My Microphone" is pretty damn good, too. The Albarn track and the acoustic joint "Fightin' The Nation" leave me cold. How many tracks are missing if this is a sampler? Who got a final tracklisting?

One.

gumdrops

just wanted to say yep, its still crap. i might make this a weekly posting habit up to the albums release.

still, buss it up is the best songs ever just cos of the beat and vybz kartel. id like to hear vybz do a version himself.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
just wanted to say yep, its still crap. i might make this a weekly posting habit up to the albums release.

still, buss it up is the best songs ever just cos of the beat and vybz kartel. id like to hear vybz do a version himself.

Is it still crap?

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
Wow...

I hope I have a promo/sampler copy cuz mine (I got it more than a week ago) has only 11 songs on it. My favorites are "London Town", "Buss It Up", "This Is My Life", "Bad Boy" , "Sleep Tight", "Over & Over" and "Production Of My Environment". The Kate Nash featured "Me & My Microphone" is pretty damn good, too. The Albarn track and the acoustic joint "Fightin' The Nation" leave me cold. How many tracks are missing if this is a sampler? Who got a final tracklisting?

One.

I found out yesterday that I didn't get an 11 song sampler, but a promo of the retail release minus a bonus track. Huh? No "Layer Cake"? No "Imagine" over a different beat? No "Be Real" or "I Feel Like" on an original track? That's a fuckin' disappointment, man. I gave it the right review on my blog, then.

One.

DRMHCP

As much as I hate him, it'd would have been harder to ignore Simply Red's sales than to include him. Although why he garnered that much time and attention I have no idea.

yes he sold a load of records to pop fans but he existed in a completely different universe to late seventies/ pre-house eighties Brit soul or funk scene. Any idea that he'd have got anywhere near being played at a weekender, soul/funk club or on pirate radio is about as fraudulant as the idea that you'd have got the Stone Roses or their ilk played at any underground acid party in the late 80s. Typical attempts by the white rock world to appropriate somebody else's scene.

When just off the top of my head I can think of:
Light of the World/Incognito, Hi Tension, (pre-pop) Level 42, Central Line, I Level, Paul Hardcastle/First Light, Freeez, Real Thing, Atmosfear, UK Players, Surface Noise, Linx, David Joseph, Loose Ends need I go on who were the real UK side of the pre-house UK dance scene that to include such pop stuff as David Bowies and Simply Red is the kind of travesty that I can't believe is still allowed to take place in 2007. It's a total fuckin outrage and the kind of thinking that leads to jokes like Damon Albarn turning up on grime albums...

Last edited:

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
I finally listened to this, and I've gotta say, Gumdrop's pessimism pulled through - this album is a stinking pile of shit.

I really wanted to like this, I really did. When I got into grime, Kano was immediately one of my favourites, and this album really bothers me because I know that beneath all of the shitty work he has done there are three truths about him that still remain:

1) His flow is fucked
2) He has an wicked ability to write lyrics
3) He is really into hip hop - and draws from this for inspiration for his tracks

I have no problem with the third point. You can't fight artists making music based on what they are inspired by. Hip-hop inspired music is a-OK by me. Hell, I like hip hop - I love it in fact. For that reason I didn't even think Home Sweet Home was the failure everyone else made it out to be. This one though - total failure.

Here is why: Kano needs to stop riding America's dick and thinking that his music is only good if it gets respect from Americans.

His mixtape: mostly American beats, packed full of American references (most notably "I Feel Like"... in the words of Wiley: how do you feel like Nas, you are from england you batty).

And on the album he has a least three quotes from American hip hop songs ("It was all a dream, I used to read RWD magazine" ugh), and that one line that really gets me that is something like "even Jigga Man said keep doing what you're doing". He said "keep doing what you're doing" instead of "here's a record contract" because he doesn't give a fuck about you, Kane! Why do you need his validation so badly? He's all washed up anyway.

The best track is Buss It Up, a dancehall track. Why is Britain not good enough for this geezer? To me, trying to be American is a far greater offence in the grime scene than using the odd hip-hop sounding track here and there, or god forbid, being influenced by hip hop music. Inspiration is one thing but this Yankee Doodle dick riding has to end. It is embarassing, pathetic and is not a good look. Hip hop has been a healthy genre of music in part because its artists haven't spent half their time pursuing an obsession of strutting with their pinkies out drinking tea, and eating battered sausages and pies.

And let's be honest: the only reason Damon Albarn, Kate Nash and Craig David are on his album is because he couldn't get Jack White, Gwen Stefani and R Kelly.

Also, he should sack Mikey J or whatever his name is because he is the deadest of dead out producers.

Vent OVER. phew.

Last edited:
somebody fan Sick Boy pls lol

man it must be really bad

I'll give it a go...though I really want layer cake but you can't find it anywhere

I have to disagree on the Mikey J point - he is a badderman. when you can score plays like he can then step up innit?

gumdrops

*feels gratified by pessimism being validated*
lol

yeah its still shit
there are some remnants of his flow when he goes faster on one of the tracks thats early on in the album (cant remember which one though) but it just doesnt sound nearly as good cos of the plodding hip hop beats....

still, buss it up is fantastic and the best track here, yes - don corleone really came up with the goods and vybz kartel is just insanely good but even there, kano gets outshone....

still, buss it up is fantastic and the best track here, yes - don corleone really came up with the goods and vybz kartel is just insanely good but even there, kano gets outshone....

yes that track is good for the vybz bit mostly, sick beat aswell

i didnt think its was quite as bad as sickboy made it out to be, but yeah not a good look

Kano jacks a Mase bar on this album according to RWD forum. I regrettably know that bad boy shit back to front so I think I will go look tomorrow.