So who on this board is in the states or canada?

ripley

yes indeed!

Subtek is well skilled with the good tracks on hand.

This first night of the monthly we're sharing it with the previous crew - sort of a farewell/hello party. kid k and subtek will tag, which should be hot. have you checked kid k's shockout mix? and erm I've got one as well..

please do come out! bring your friends! make a night of it!

Ups to ya Mashine Hugga. Hope you can make it up from San J. A tip: Just worked it out with the outgoing crew ... they're playing from 12-close, so hope all can make it for the 9-12 spot. Earlyside I know, but that's when the grime/dub/ragga/jungle side will be happening. Ripple and Maebyn are dope too, but look for more straightforward breaks from them after midnight. Word to the wize...

Make sure to intro yourself when you're up! Others too!

dev79

philadelphia, pa stand up.

producer/dj/promoter

i love the grime sound and been rockin it for a minute now. me n my crew been throwin a monthly grime party here in philly since september, every 2nd thursday.

Kuma

The Konspirator
Brokeman said:
Another Vancouverite here.
All about the Grime, intrigued but somewhat uneasy about Dubstep.

Keep an ear open., thursday nights at midnight, 102.7 FM.
Very special treat coming soon if you're innit but on the edge..

Keith P

draw for the drumstick
ok
a question to anyone that is doing events...
what types of crowds do your find yourself marketing this music to?
Whats the most success have you've had with certain demographics?

Last edited:

martyturenne

whoismikejones?
score another one for vancouver. who knew? can't see a grime and/or dubstep night working out here. maybe as a monthly?

kuma & brokeman: thoughts?

Kuma

The Konspirator
^
God forbid, are there enoungh people in town that have the records to do an entire night?
And that means more than someone playing Dizzee remixes back to back for an hour..

turtles

in the sea
Kuma said:
^
God forbid, are there enoungh people in town that have the records to do an entire night?
And that means more than someone playing Dizzee remixes back to back for an hour..
yeah no records for me either, pretty exclusively of the (non-purchased) digital variety. but i'd gladly stand in the audience and yell my approval.

hohohoho, burgeoning van city grime scene? that's a massive WTF coming from me right here. course this might also be the sum total number of grime fans in the entire city right here on this board.

martyturenne

whoismikejones?
"course this might also be the sum total number of grime fans in the entire city right here on this board."

bet you're right. still, i'm betting there's some crossover potential here with the city's decent-sized community of d'n'b, dancehall, and hip-hop heads. i could see a kind a dancehall+grime+reggaeton night working here. and i'm willing to bet there's some djs out there who could mix that stuff up right. no?

C

captain easychord

re: the van city grime thing. the grime nights i attended in london only featured grime music for the apex of the night (like 1:00-2:00) before and after was made up of hip-hop, dancehall, UKG and a little jungle. so you could prolly pull it off.

Kuma

The Konspirator
I picture it crossing over locally with the whole IDM/Ragga angle more than I do with the local hip-hop and reggae crowds..

I could see some of the locals lads doing the breaks/jungle crossover events maybe taking someone on..

dominic

Beast of Burden
Kuma said:
I picture it crossing over locally with the whole IDM/Ragga angle more than I do with the local hip-hop and reggae crowds..

that's the problem in a nutshell. grime in the states will be a middle-class, student phenomenon. idm cottoning on to the criticism set against it . . . . early jungle had a significant west indian immigrant following in the states, but despite the analogous position of today's grime i'd bet the store against grime making it big here among anyone other than student types . . . . as far as my personal assessment of grime goes, i haven't heard enough to form an opinion. certainly much of it is way too technoid for my ears, the sub-bass more bludgeon than undertow -- stuff that i imagine is from croydon -- and i've heard the remarc/virus syndicate stuff in shops, and i do not like it -- but much of the stuff that i take to be from east london rocks better than anything out of england post-94 . . . . so i guess i'm riding the fence on grime . . . .

to my ears dj/rupture has the right instincts. he needs only to drop the turntablizm schtick and get down to business. his track selection no less than his mixing was off the charts last week at rothko. crunk, dancehall, 2 bad mice, kelis. one or two grime tracks, one or two ragga jungle. and, if memory serves, some islamo-mediterranean music . . . . in a certain sense an update of eclectic balearic djing, but with far more rhythimic intensity

after dj/rupture left the stage, one of the shadetek djs (not zach) took over. he played dancehall 7s, and, despite his goofy exuberance, moved the crowd . . . . i left about 30 minutes before closing and stopped off at lotus, where the djs play dancehall on fridays. completely different vibe. thugs, drugs, rastas, skanked out girls in dreads. the djs nod and sway, they don't gesticulate. and one of the djs, born jamaica, now brooklyn or queens, uses the head set as a microphone, toasting into the ear. this is the crowd that rothko needs to get if things are to truly happen there, for things to be mixed and jumping (like a miniature version of volume on the dizzee rascal night) . . . . but the odds are they never will. the lotus djs have been down with the program their entire lives, just as the east london junglists and grime-ists were and have been. and people like that just don't give it away . . . . and no matter how packed out rothko gets, there'll be the creeping suspicion that it's all vanilla

so that's how matters stand with the reggae crowd. as for the real-deal hip hop crowd, no chance whatsoever that they'll embrace grime . . . . grime may get the undie hip hop crowd, but that's roughly the same crowd as idm, which is roughly the same crowd as post-98 d-n-b

and no, i'm not a dj. more like a very amateurish record collector. rode the 90/93 rave train and then rendevoused with dance music at various points thereafter . . . . ended up at dissensus by reading simon reynolds, which had in turn led to woebot, k-punk, stelfox, etc . . . . i also tend to frequent dj bars where nobody really dances, albeit on the east side of town . . . . however attractive i find "rave frenzy" intellectually, and however suspect i find "cosmopolitan sophistication" intellectually, i tend to favor in practice the kind of cool club culture that uk rave had initially revolted against ----- but in this as in all things, the u.s. is not the u.k. . . . . even so, i've heard a lot of boring broken beats and negroclash in recent years, opting for vibe at the cost of other nightlife values . . . . or rather, at this stage of the game i treat bars and venues as antidotes. lotus as antidote to rothko, rothko as antidote to nublu, nublu as antidote to rock music joints, and so forth

Last edited:

Dubquixote

Submariner
a/ Dominic...

I would've agreed with you about grime staying confined to middle-class / collegiate venues before today, but they just played Forward Riddim during Cipha Saturdays on Hot 97, so not I'm not so sure. Cipha always pushes the new shit, so it seems like something might be brewing behind the scenes.

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
Lil jon had meetings with various grime acts last week in the UK.

Jammer is going out to New York in March.

Riko has been asked to go out and work with a big up n coming producer in New York.

The reason grime will work with the urban market in the states is because it is made by the same people who make the jump up club style hip hop in the states.

Every time I hear a story about Dipset i laugh because they are so similar to Roll Deep. The Crunk raves are scarily similar to Grime dances.

Remember that British culture still holds a huge amount of weight in the States and when they understand the whole Grime phenomenon the music will become accepted.

polystyle

Grime on KISS FM

I hear you DubQ and Logan - right on

Give it a chance to seep in over here ...
Don't be 'knowing' what's going to happen - not so soon , please .

Just some threads ago, there was lamenting whether Grime' was ever going to get out of parts of London
Seemed to be 'boxing it in' already , almost post mortem .

Let it do what it will do
I'm sure the artists themselves don't think as 'how big' is it going to get/'who's' going to get it' as much about it as bloggers do
They are too busy being out there doin it ,
buzzed and hungry