So who on this board is in the states or canada?

Jesse D Serrins

'nother NYC resident here, and very glad about the fact that there's a night happening with excellent tunes and room to dance (maybe it's just me, but usually it's either one or the other or a cover charge and expensive drinks). Last time w/ rupture et al got me very psyched, the crowd wasn't as homogenous (i.e. white) as someone a few days ago wanted to suggest. Anyway, people were having a good time as far as I could tell, and that's what matters. Plus it seemed like some people wandered in there who wouldn't've been caught dead absorbing noise blasts off rupture's decks otherwise, which I found quite amusing...

And Grime's cool to my ears, though it didn't really hit me until I heard it played out which I guess isn't surprising.

Last edited:

stardust

BabelTek Generation
I reside in Anchorage, Alaska.
The amount of people up here that would even recognize the words dubstep or grime are probably in the hundreds, at most. And thats just people who would recognize, not those who are into it.

SIZZLE

gasoline for haters
Move!

holler back dissensus,

Matt Shadetek here, 1/3 of the aforementioned Bangers and Mash NYC Grime DJ crew. In spite of my exuberance I move the crowd? Don't get it twisted dog. My idea of a fun party is not me looking cool behind the decks it is getting a crowd of people to the point where they don't give a fuck and end up sweating and grinding on one another, I find that not giving a fuck myself helps a lot towards this goal.

I feel optimistic about the possibility for acceptance of grime by those other than the expected metro hipster crowds due to a couple of wierd anecdotes: my homeboy D's girl who is from Guyana and is EXTREMELY picky about what she likes (basically only new dancehall, and mostly Sizzla) LOVES the shit. She even took our mixCD Heavy Meckle and played it for her middle aged moms, who was reportedly not mad at it. Anecdote two is how easily accepted it was by the crowd at our rave, including people like my little sister and her friends who basically just like dancehall and reggaeton etc. If the NYC bashment girls will accept it, imho very little else matters. Then you have shit like Cipha playing Forward on Hot97, which is just wild.

And yes, the guests for March 11th are confirmed: Jammer, Dee Double E and Ears will be in the building and they are excited, as are we.

Tonight we got Airborn Audio, Zesto, DTL, SHT Sound, Crito and Dubquixote, hope to see all my NYC ravers at Rothko 116 Suffolk St. right by the Williamsburg Bridge in the LES, Manhattan. 3 Bucks to get in which includes Free Red Stripe.

Cornflake

First post...

from just outside ottawa actually....been listening to grime scene since about october or so not that long...

im going to be having some uk talent dvd/cds coming over soon i think so let me know if your looking for a link up...

Ive been trying to get some of the club246 crew to do a show with some grime djs in ottawa coming up... but they are more uk garage and 2step and stuff im not really into

im just starting up my vinyl collection, and i picked up the sidewinder cd pack from november that was pretty hot

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
Can everyone please show my mix cd to everyone who is willing to hear it. I put it together to be a showcase of the full spectrum of influences and sounds of the scene, so hopefully there will be something on there for everyone.

It's really encouraging to see that after the initial negative remarks from the hip hop crowd last year when Dizzee first came out, people are starting to understand and accept the british sound and culture of Grime music.

anchimon

Logan Sama said:
Can everyone please show my mix cd to everyone who is willing to hear it. I put it together to be a showcase of the full spectrum of influences and sounds of the scene, so hopefully there will be something on there for everyone.

Got the sidewinder tape on replay in my ipod :) good selection, all kinds of flavor. thanks Logan.

Hello all. This is Anchimon of the Seattle massive / Garridge.com, just registered here, looks like nice company. Keep us in mind for things.

believekevin

Repping Boston

To start: I'm living in Lower Allston, a neighborhood in Boston, MA, USA. The cliques I am in contact with (mostly white, middle-class, college-educated, indie/noise) locally know of grime only with regard to dizzee rascal. There is another contingent out here of UKG-obsessed folks with whom I am not acquainted that have an affection for the dubstep/sublow sounds. (see: http://www.soulchampion.com/ )

Lately, some folks have taken to the shit I've been pumping to them on the regular for weeks. Interestingly, most of the positive feedback I've heard has been to Lady Sov (perhaps to all of your chagrin?)

The racial divide is more pronounced in Boston than in NYC or Toronto. I think if something is percieved white here, it will be a steep uphill climb to reaching non-white audiences. Most big dancehall / hiphop happens at clubs outside city limits at clubs on the north shore.

I teach high school and in talking to some students who are into hiphop about the haps in London, they twice responded, "There are black people in London?"

Take that as you will !

I'll be down to NYC on March 11.

boosted

I'm here ... way down in Miami ... been doing the UKG thing for a bit now ;-)

Check the wmc05 bizness --> Transatlantic IV

Transatlantic4web.jpg

http://www.boosted.com

DeepSix

Reppin' Toronto/Hamilton for a while now.

More into "proper" UK Garage (as some people like to call it), but have a great love for dubstep as well as grime - it's more a question of what I buy and play vs. what I like.

Due to my show formats and residencies, as mentioned by Cornflake re: Club246, I play more radio friendly stuff (though, now that my show is not on Club246 anymore...who knows) and really like to get the ladies moving.

But that doesn't mean I don't like grime or that I can't play dubstep. I just don't have as many opportunities.

I can almost guarantee you that I was the first commercial FM DJ in North America to play any grime on the radio as I've been playing for over a year. I'm just not as important as Hot97 :D I just put up 2 short mixes that I did last year on www.rinseit.ca/broadcasts for the more grimey side of things.

I have 2 monthlies currently - at the Labyrinth Lounge in Toronto the 3rd Friday of each month and at Stages in Kingston. The one in Kingston HAS to be commercial just due to the crowd (it's a top40 club) but the one at the Labyringth is more of a free-for-all night. I play dubstep there frequently and hope to break out the grime more often now.

Nice to know there's more grime fans in Toronto. We need to support each other and cross promote.

DeepSix

Re: Grime "breaking" in Toronto - we had thought the same with UKG re: racial diversity, Caribbean culture, etc. but it didn't prove true.

What Grime does have though, is a lot more "face" value - i.e. it's not just producers and DJs...it's MCs and that's what the masses understand - the front man.

And with hometown hero Kardinall Offishal rinsing over the FWD riddim, who knows? It may just blow!

I'm all for helping the cause!

Planning a new mixtape for general consumption as I type...

cortempond

Chicago (Not Chi-Town, please..)

Hello from Chicago. It's cold as hell here. And it's May 2. It's the global warming kicking in.

In addition to my daily gig at the Newberry Library (second-largest research library in the US and the only one open to the public) I also work at the Virgin Megastore here in the heart of the city. This allows me to watch a lot of movies and listen to music, which is a good gig, because that's what I would be doing otherwise and not getting paid for.

Right now, listening to a lot of Brazil -- Joyce, Marcos Valle, Ivan Lins, Chico Buarque. Also into a split bewteen Grindcore and ILM/Kompakt music. Picked up the Kaito and Bibio album on Sat. Also love the Michael Mayer stuff. Boards of Canada of course. Then The Locust, Pig Destroyer, High On Fire, Godflesh and Head of David.

All time faves - Roxy Music, Wire, Gang Of Four.

Canada J Soup

Monkey Man
Yet another NYC based poster. Originally from Dublin, made my way here via London and Brussels. Been in the US almost six years, NYC for the last four. Picked up on grime / dubstep partly from looking for more stuff that sounded like EL-B / Wookie / Horsepower in full on bass heavy mode c.1999 / 2000 and partly via the web. (Blogs of certain Dissensus elder statespersons were instrumental in ratcheting up my interest to its current levels.) Ended up here after reading the very, very long MIA thread on ILM and decided that it looked like a nice place to squander even more of the time my employer pays for. Have fairly wide ranging musical interests, but 130bpm+ danceable vinyl has been a central theme for much of the last 12 years. (That and The Fall-ah.) Used to DJ fairly regularly when still in Europe, but it's become something more like an occasional hobby in the last few years. My contribution to the NYC grime scene to date consists of clearing the floor in a Park Slope bar last year by opening a set with Target & Riko's 'Chosen One'.

joenice

Miriam Gonzalez lover....
Long Post !!!!!!!!!!!

Keith P said:
Joe Nice?
know you must be on here

just a bit of a roll call
Yes Keith. I've signed up. i'm here. Finally.....i'm a bit late, but better late than never. Wish I had known earlier....

DigitalDjigit said:
I am in Baltimore. I do not like grime but I do not see how that has anything to do with being on this forum. There's all kinds of musical knowledge being thrown around here.

AH !!! Another resident of the 410. Excellent.

May28th...check this. Hope to see you out there.

Dubquixote said:
All North America dubstep massive...

I just uploaded a live mix by Mr. Joe Nice at Sonar in Baltimore. Joe's reppin dubstep big over here. Grab it at http://dubquixote.blogspot.com. Lotsa goodies from the Mystikz. Some nice crowd noise and MCing in there as well....

Enjoy!
Jeez....i didnt even know this was linked here. thanks brother.....

Hard to believe this show was Nov. 2004. Seems like such a long time ago.....wow. An absolutely special night. We were supposed to close that room @ 145am....it's 205 and I'm reloading MarkOne's tune "Mean Fiddler". After the show, i remember being so pumped up! i couldnt sleep.

The girl that grabbed the mic.....well....she couldnt rhyme....but she looked good. real good.

If anyone wants a copy of this show, click <A HREF="mailto:joenice@gourmetbeats.com?subject=11-13 Sonar CD">HERE.</A> Any other shows....let <A HREF="mailto:joenice@gourmetbeats.com">me</A> know.

My monthly radio shows on GourmetBeats.com and BreaksFM will be made available for download.

http://www.joenice.net/4-19.mp3
runtime - 1:16:17 @ - 192Kbps, file size - 104 MB

1. King Tubby - The Easy Dub
2. Professor JS - Dark Energy
3. Skream - Attitude
4. Soundproof Productions - Three Degrees
5. N-Type - The Ritual VIP
6. LWiz - Untitled *
7. Skream - Affekz VIP
8. D1 - Boiler
9. D1 - Brainstorm
10. Distance - Vicious Circle
11. Plasticman - Death By Stereo VIP **
12. Macabre Unit - Lift Off
13. Search and Destroy - Alley Cat
14. Toasty - Angel *
15. Cogent - Dirtbag
16. Distance - Empire *
17. Toasty - Reflect
18. Shackleton - Relentless Morning

* - reload
** - double reload

http://www.joenice.net/5_3_breaksfm.mp3
runtime - 59:21 @ - 128Kbps, file size - 54.3 MB

1. King Tubby - I Yah Who Dub
2. Loefah - Monsoon Remix
3. D1 - NoTurningBack
4. Skream - i
5. Loefah v Skream - 28 Gramz
6. Digital Mystikz - DaWrath VIP
7. Skream - Affekz VIP
8. LWiz - Untitled
9. Skream - Indian Dub VIP
10. Digital Mystikz - Neverland
11. D1 - Boiler
12. Digital Mystikz - Conference
13. Plasticman - The Mammoth Remix
14. Search & Destroy - Vulcan Grip

<marquee>ENJOY !!!!!</MARQUEE>

shudder

From toronto too.. just getting onto the grime tip (Dizzee, Wiley, Run the Road, a couplr pirate rips, etc)... not so much on the dubstep yet.

DeepSix said:
And with hometown hero Kardinall Offishal rinsing over the FWD riddim, who knows? It may just blow! QUOTE]

a collabo with kardi and some east london kids would be beyond sick, no?

Tha Megatron

Megatron here (on the late bus as usual...)

well im based out of the San Francisco/Bay Area...home of crazy progressive hippies, garlic festivals, and the baddest (USA) Football team in the country, the OAKLAND RAIDERS!!!

back to the subject...Im a DJ whose been into Grime since the days 2step started to morph into some crazy bizness. Im more known out here in the Bay for doing DnB and i also do a bit of hip hop and scratching on the decks. Latey though i been in 24 Hour Grime Mode...like when you only listen to Grime on the iPod all day long. I play alot of the mc tunes and riddims but i also like the dubstep sounds too most of the time.
anyways big up the list and hope I can meet more folks out there weather it be from the Bay or as far as Japan. We're all in da same gang.

mega