So who on this board is in the states or canada?

dominic

Beast of Burden
Dubquixote said:
they just played Forward Riddim during Cipha Saturdays on Hot 97

Logan Sama said:
Lil jon had meetings with various grime acts last week in the UK.

perhaps it's a question of grime entering america by various routes . . . .

Logan Sama said:
The reason grime will work with the urban market in the states is because it is made by the same people who make the jump up club style hip hop in the states.

how so?

Logan Sama said:
Every time I hear a story about Dipset i laugh because they are so similar to Roll Deep. The Crunk raves are scarily similar to Grime dances.

can't say i've ever been to a crunk rave (?????) . . . . go to any big downtown club in nyc, and the djs (as i'm sure you well know) will be playing lots of crunk. the music is undeniable. it rules the radio, mtv, the big clubs. but there's no subcultural pressure in such venues. it's all champagne and excess and models and bridge 'n' tunnel white folks intent on burning money . . . . i don't doubt that there's "crunk raves" happening uptown harlem or down in atlanta, new orleans, memphis, tampa -- it's just that i've never been to one . . . . when i described my impressions of the grime night at rothko, i factored myself out of the equation -- but i of course fit the rothko demographic

Logan Sama said:
Remember that British culture still holds a huge amount of weight in the States

seems to me that you're now switiching tracks . . . . british culture has weight with hipsters (re: nyc rock bands having to make it big in u.k. first) and the student classes, and with the reggae crowd (kingston/brixton/crown heights axis), but don't think that american hip hop scene cares one iota about u.k. music . . . . correct me if i'm wrong

again, i'm not the person to pronounce on grime's likelihood for success in america. and i should add that i'm not a big hip hop fan. too much verbal content for my ears . . . . which is why i prefer dancehall and crunk to traditional nyc hip hop, because dancehall and crunk are more sing-song, more chant, more poptastic, more dancefloor orientated . . . .

i think grime can get a bit monotonous and overbearing, not unlike a lot of hip hop . . . . which is why i went on to say that i preferred dj/rupture, who is of course *not* a grime-ist

and the only reason i offered my assessment of grime is because the person who started this thread wanted to know if north american people on dissensus were all into grime and dubstep. and so i wrote to say that i'm not into the one or the other . . . . that said, grime does peak my curiosity, probably because all things u.k. carry great weight with me. and i intend to hit rothko fairly regularly, even though i have doubts about the crowd. if nothing else, it makes for a good antidote

Last edited:

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
The type of people who make the sort of Hip hop that seems to be interested in the Grime scene come from undeniably similar socio-economic conditions as those who make grime in the UK.

You need to look at the two musics in their natural environment , factor out the music and you have undeniably similar people and cultures.

It's the same if you go to Jamaica, factor out the actual end product, and the people and cultures are very similar.

And that's why this Grime music is slowly but surely being appreciated, understood and accepted by you Yanks.

nomos

Administrator
Logan Sama said:
The type of people who make the sort of Hip hop that seems to be interested in the Grime scene come from undeniably similar socio-economic conditions as those who make grime in the UK.
You need to look at the two musics in their natural environment , factor out the music and you have undeniably similar people and cultures.
It's the same if you go to Jamaica, factor out the actual end product, and the people and cultures are very similar.
And that's why this Grime music is slowly but surely being appreciated, understood and accepted by you Yanks.
Which is why it may be most likely to find its first foothold in Toronto (as Jungle did) rather than the States. Toronto and London have more in common as destination points of post-colonial Commonwelath migration from the Caribbean; are more comparable in terms of contemporary living conditions; and have a long history of music-sharing/mutation across the Atlantic (in contrast to the general preference for 'American' music in the US). They also share a degree of ambivalence toward US Hip Hop asserting itself as the 'real' and the 'authentic' source of urban/black/underclass expression. Jungle gave kids in Toronto a sense of being less culturally reliant on the States (albeit through intense Anglophilia). Maybe I'll be proven wrong. Certainly, the crunk afffiliation shouldn't be overlooked. But I'm still putting my (pretend) money on the T-dot, if only because Toronto listeners may be more accepting of the tempo and more attuned to the accents/vernacular.

Keith P

draw for the drumstick
can't say i've ever been to a crunk rave (?????)

When they say rave it doesn't always mean(well not in this context) kids with fat pants and candy bracelets drooling all over themselves in a state of drug euphoria like it does in the US. It's just a general term for a big event.

mpc

wasteman
a rave just means a clubnight in the context used in grime scene. just going to a club is classed as a rave.

cooper

hi.
i'm in the US, NC to be exact.
i've djed uk garage since the 2-step days, and i have a little record label with a comp. out of unreleased tracks from US/Canadian producers: http://urbanrenewalrecords.com . sometimes i get to go to other cities and dj, and that's really fun.
i write 12" grime/dubstep reviews for xlr8r magazine.
actually, i moderate a little discussion list for talk about UKG. it's been running about 5 years now, and most people on it are based in North America - it was the foundation of our Transatlantic events at WMC (4 years running now) and, for that matter, the Transatlantic Bass compilation i did. hit me up if you want to be on it.
i tend to play the range of the ukg sound, and for that matter some dancehall, broken beat, and hip-hop as well - but i don't play much of the new 4x4 or vocal 2-step, just because i have a whole stack of records that i think are as good or better - but i do quite like terrah danjah's new work with sadie and such.

claim to fame: luka gave me a tour of bow one time.

Last edited:

Eric

Mr Moraigero
raskit

artdamages said:
i am in western Minnesota.

anyone think post-Run The Road there will be any possiblity for US grime tours?

well dizzee ... :) but it looks like your part of the country is losing out on this particular tour unless you feel like driving to Chicago:

03-15 London, England - Royal Festival Hall
03-18 Exeter, England - The Lemon Tree (Vibraphonic Festival)
03-30 Vancouver, British Columbia - The Commodore Ballroom
03-31 Portland, OR - Doug Fir Lounge
04-01 Seattle, WA - Neurmos Crystal Ball Reading
04-02 Eugene, OR - Wow Hall
04-04 San Fransico, CA - The Independent
04-05 Los Angeles, CA - El Rey Theatre
04-06 San Diego, CA - Canes
04-08 Salt Lake City, UT - Lo-Fi Cafe
04-11 Dallas, TX - Gypsy Tea Room
04-12 Austin, TX - The Parish
04-14 Houston, TX - Engine Room
04-15 New Orleans, LA - The Parish
04-16 Atlanta, GA - The Loft at Earthlink Live
04-18 Orlando, FL - The Social
04-19 Miami, FL - I/O Lounge
04-21 Carrboro, NC - Cat's Cradle
04-26 Boston, MA - Middle East Cafe
04-27 Montreal, Quebec - Club Soda
04-28 Toronto, Ontario - The Opera House
04-29 East Lansing, MI - Union Ballroom
04-30 Chicago, IL - Double Door

If there was somekind of small US Run The Road tour it would be fantastic! but I suppose if Dizzee isn't even playing by me there is probably no chance. I play grime mp3s on my college radio show and there are some kids who are interested. I think it can take a while for people to get their ears around this stuff especially when the only analogue for it is us hip-hop. But then it doesn't sound so alien if you like say Wu-Tang and crunk and Def Jux (ignoring any qualitative assesment of El-P and amerundie here).

Someone needs to start getting 12''s and all those CD/DVD things over here somehow so I can afford to buy them. Preferably w/o any Vice involvement.

Dubquixote

Submariner
regarding run the road tour (sort of) and other NYC grime event news courtesy of mr. reynolds...

Bangers and Mash 2
resident djs: shadetek sound system, drop the lime
february 11th, 10 til 4
$3
Rothko, 116 Suffolk at Rivington, Lower East Side

HEAT - Grime Sessions
featuring:
DJ Cameo (BBC 1xtra, 679 records)
MC Deadly Crisis
DJ Dinesh
DJ Greg Poole
Sunday February 20th
Location: Supreme Trading 213 N. 8th St., Williamsburg, Brooklyn.
1st stopon the L train to Bedford ave.
Cover: Free
Info: 212-560-0951 or info@goldspotmusic.com

Incidentally, Bangers and Mash on Fri Mar 11 looks set to feature:
Jammer, D Double E and Ears!!!!!!!
to coincide with Vice Recordings' release in America of Run The Road

dominic

Beast of Burden
Pearsall said:
Are drinks expensive at Rothko? And where is Suffolk anyways? Near Houston?

beer is $6, so perhaps a dollar more than the going rate (no pabst on hand)

take the F to Delancey/Essex -- then walk east a couple blocks -- Norfolk, then Suffolk -- go left (north) on Suffolk -- and Rothko is on right (east) side of the street -- if you hit Rivington, you've gone too far

and yes, it's near houston, a little more than 2 blocks south

Dubquixote

Submariner
$5 if you're willing to drink bud ;)

i'll be playing dubstep downstairs in the lounge so anybody who makes it should come say hello.