Woofah issue 1: Reggae/Dubstep/Grime fanzine OUT

gabriel

The Heatwave
that would have been pretty funny, actually :)

yeah, i should definitely have written that!

did you find examples of other cinematic directives to badmen that weren't so charged?

no, but i'll keep an ear out...

re: snapple, in that song it's either preceded or followed (can't remember) by a reference to how mr easy is drinking a roots drink - i'm guessing snapple, with its artificial colouring and flavouring, not to mention mass production, mass marketing and non-jamaican status, just doesn't measure up in the badman stakes. like how english badmen drink ale, not lager, LOL

STN

sou'wester
Though in that tune 'Militancy' just after the dreads slaughter loads of Babylon with M16s, Papa Levi claims they celebrate by 'drinking ribena out of the box'. Given that their celebration also involves 'wearing diamond socks' it's hard to imagine it was the wildest party ever thrown...

Possibly it has the same root as the chest of drawers complaint - i.e. badmums are forever telling badmen to pour ribena INTO A GLASS first, and that they should stick to sensible grey socks.

stelfox

Beast of Burden
yeah, i should definitely have written that!

no, but i'll keep an ear out...

re: snapple, in that song it's either preceded or followed (can't remember) by a reference to how mr easy is drinking a roots drink - i'm guessing snapple, with its artificial colouring and flavouring, not to mention mass production, mass marketing and non-jamaican status, just doesn't measure up in the badman stakes. like how english badmen drink ale, not lager, LOL

there are plenty of funny dietary restrictions in operation in jamaican culture. there's an argument to say that they mainly stem from rastafari, but as rastafari is a really recent belief system, many were probaby in place already and have just been formalised within a rastafarian framework. given that snapple is full of corn syrup, colourings and other rubbish, it's hardly ital. even though elephant man isn't a rasta himself, his objection to snapple is probably just something that many other jamaican people think, rastafarian or not.

DannyL

Wild Horses
Bit late in saying it but BIG UP YUH STATUS. Nice one guys. Talk to you about it soon.

PS Can you interview Durty for issue 2?

john eden

male pale and stale
You referring to the former (BIGGING UP YUH STATUS) or interviewing Durty?

Paul excels at the former. My talents lie more in facilitating the latter.

It was ever so. :) Seems to work ok though...

We are actually already working on a Durty interview - it was one of many plans hatched at the Woofah lash up last night. No idea if it will happen though!

Kuma

The Konspirator
Out to the woofah delivery system, ordered on monday, arrived here in Vancouver this morning.
Working my way through it now, big tings...

ifp

very impressed, got mine on tues, nice and promt. nice mix of interviws, features and humour - loved the story about the TUNES journalists :D
keep up the great work, looking forward to issue 2!

Mr Jeg

suck your thumb
picked up a copy at sounds of the universe on friday - read it cover to cover pretty much straight away. the best zine i've read in a long, long time, and one that has been sorely needed for ages - the second issue can't come soon enough! maximum respect to all involved.

jenks

thread death
got mine last week - really high standards and fascinating reading. it's a shame that the bottom half inch of most the pages has been chopped and so i have to kind of guess the missing bits!!

well done everyone involved

john eden

male pale and stale
Glad it's reaching people and going down well! :)

got mine last week - really high standards and fascinating reading. it's a shame that the bottom half inch of most the pages has been chopped and so i have to kind of guess the missing bits!!

well done everyone involved

Errr, sounds like you got a limited edition balls up version there Jenks, really sorry about that! :eek:

Do you want a replacement copy or will you treasure this rare artefact for later profit on ebay?

elgato

I just dont know
many thanks and much respect to all involved, it was a superb read from start to finish, and the design is live

really great, i look forward to the next :)

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
I really liked it, I can see why you're doing 'em but I'd jack in the reviews at the end, they date the rest of the work horribly. But I've always disliked reviews at the end of zines, maximum rock n roll excepted, just cos they'd review fucking everything. I'd much rather see less, or have two more articles, or a slang crossword or something.

Aside from that, can't fault it at all, lovely stuff.

john eden

male pale and stale
I really liked it, I can see why you're doing 'em but I'd jack in the reviews at the end, they date the rest of the work horribly. But I've always disliked reviews at the end of zines, maximum rock n roll excepted, just cos they'd review fucking everything. I'd much rather see less, or have two more articles, or a slang crossword or something.

Aside from that, can't fault it at all, lovely stuff.

Yeah you're not the first person to point that out Mr S - we're rethinking the review thing.

It is a good way to blag records tho. ;)

Glad you liked it!