baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
He's a managerial genius, and all of youse who don't agree are idiots. I know he's spent a lot of money bringing Berbatov, Rooney, Rio etc to the club, but purchases such as Schmeichel, Solksjaer, Vidic and probably now Hernandez, not to mention the team spirit he has instilled, show that he's a cut above.

Wenger has possibly been even better in the transfer market at an initial glance, but the lack of clinical-ness/never-say-die attitude of many of the players he's bought is legendary.

Sectionfive

bandwagon house
If anyone missed it. 19 years old.

Sky would go up a lot in my estimation of they got two south Americans to replace Grey/keys

mrfaucet

The Ideas Train
Who do we think will replace Keys and Gray? Hopefully someone not completely preoccupied with armchair psychology and refereeing mistakes. In an ideal world they'd get rid of Redknapp too even if he wasn't involved in the sexism scandal.

Ferguson is obviously one of the all time great managers, as much as I hate to say it. I'll dig out some stats at some point to demonstrate it that goes with Baboon's comments regarding his transfer spend.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I forgot the most important thing - he's never, or very rarely anyway, had his teams play negative football. They're usually a joy to watch, if you can be anywhere near neutral when watching them - the Berbatov-Rooney-Giggs goal at the weekend was a case in point, a contender for goal of the season in my view.

And, from what I know, that's something that can be said about incredibly few managers who have been extremely successful in all other ways. Clough - nope. Capello - nope. Mourinho - nope. Sacchi - possibly? Of course, Guardiola is an exception too in this regard.

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/jan/27/inter-40m-gareth-bale

Heady days for Welsh footballers indeed (if, unfortunately, not for Welsh football itself, though a promotion to the PL for Swansea or Cardiff could change this), in the same week as Ryan Giggs delivered a pretty unbelievable performance to dig Man U out of a hole and cement his reputation as the most consistently brilliant PL player of all.

I fear not such a good week for the rugby team though.

Last edited:

crackerjack

Worst possible cup draw for us.

Stoke away means no live coverage, no glam day out, no cash bonanza and bugger all chance of getting through.

First time in last 16 since 86 - dismal way to go :(

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
It was an interesting offer from a Newcastle point of view - like, you'd be stupid not to take it but also you'd be stupid to take it. Unless there's a replacement sorted out in the next hour, which seems unlikely...

crackerjack

Just read he's scored 34 career goals.

Must be the first striker whose price in millions exceeds his goal tally.

Apart from Bebe, of course.

hucks

Your Message Here
In one sense I can see it. He probably is worth 70% of Torres this season. But only if they needed to buy him yesterday. They'd just got Suarez, so they weren't lacking a player. Why the rush? The premium for getting him now must have been £10-£15m. Barking.

BareBones

wheezy
i guess the rush was to waste no time in creating a sense of a 'new era' at anfield. it is crazy money for an unproven striker but they never would have done it if they weren't getting so much from the torres deal. net spend is not much at all. he's never gonna be worth £35m but i guess they thought it was worth paying over the odds to try and immediately nip in the bud any lingering post-torres malaise. they probably could've got him for less in the summer but if he scores a few goals before the end of the season and stops the fans from missing torres too much then they'll say it was worth it.

paolo

Mechanical phantoms
The transfer window... bloody hell...

Wouldn't be surprised if Drogba handed in a transfer request in the summer

crackerjack

In one sense I can see it. He probably is worth 70% of Torres this season. But only if they needed to buy him yesterday. They'd just got Suarez, so they weren't lacking a player. Why the rush? The premium for getting him now must have been £10-£15m. Barking.

This is what I don't get either. Liverpool's season is effectively over, with just the Europa league, and qualification for next Europa, to play for. They won't go down, they won't qualify for CL. So why the rush?

IdleRich

IdleRich
"They won't go down, they won't qualify for CL. So why the rush?"
They could qualify for the Champions League if they have a stormer for the rest of the season - that's gotta be worth battling for right? Presumably, if they can pull that off, they will consider it money well spent.