Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
Here's mine:

1. United States
2. United Kingdom
3. Canada/Netherlands (tied)
4. France/Australia (tied)
5. Japan/Korea

Between the soul, R&B and Hip Hop produced from these countries it's a tough call. Sorry Iceland!

One.

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
yeah ok i realize you want to talk about it in a personal favorite kind of way. but i could not let some of those statements slide. you understand.

england producing more "important" or influential rock bands compared to US... hard to say. maybe. my favorite rock certainly comes from UK, Germany... and Japan, Turky, Mexico and Vietnam... that Korean psych stuff is pretty awesome as well.

also fascinating is a phenomenon like Northern Soul. a genre based on the obsessive idolatry of a particular place for a style of music from the other side of the world, and of a different era. stories of thousands of obscure soul 7-inches finding new life across the pond, many years later...

crackerjack

God, this question is quite revealing.

US,
UK,
Jamaica
in that order, oceans ahead of everyone else.

After that...hmm, feeling Frenchie dance music at the moment, and stick Canada in there, though only for Neil Young, Creedence and (occasionally) the Band.

redcrescent

Sorry -- to me this seems a totally pointless question, music is the product of a fantastically complex and fertile network of global inspiration and cross-pollination and it's so incredibly limiting to think of it in terms of "origin" as defined by political borders and obsolete nationalist concepts.

myopic ethnocentricity is pure ignorance
Word!

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
It's not "pointless" at all, as there are undeniably certain musical styles and scenes associated with certain countries, are there not? And while obviously a lot of people are going to say UK/USA/Jamaica/Western Europe, this is exactly the kind of place where someone'll start waxing lyrical about Venezuelan 2-step or whatever and suddenly a whole new bunch of people are exposed to something interesting they'd never have heard of otherwise.

And as for it being "nationalistic" - *sigh* - the thread is titled "YOUR top 5 countries", not "What's the BEST country", isn't it? :slanted:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
And while obviously a lot of people are going to say UK/USA/Jamaica/Western Europe, this is exactly the kind of place where someone'll start waxing lyrical about Venezuelan 2-step or whatever and suddenly a whole new bunch of people are exposed to something interesting they'd never have heard of otherwise.

Exactly! Now someone has to locate some Orinoco garage.

Netherlands gabba, Ethiopian funk, Algerian rai, bring it on.

sing_minimal

Did you catch that Norwegian instalment of the Blogariddims series:
http://www.weareie.com/2007/01/blogariddims-14norwegian-postpunk-1979.html

Damn near blew my head off. Amazing housey stuff.

What would you recommend on the ambient side?

i'll check, i don't think i know it. as for ambient, i only meant the more obvious stuff im affraid, nothing obscure..geir jenssen and tromso massive, arve henriksen, deathprod, some other stuff on rune..or smalltownsupersound

Gavin

booty bass intellectual
Obviously U.S. and U.K. with their huge and long-established popular music industries are going to be on everyone's list (helps that most here are from one or the other)... I think best CONTINENT would be more telling... I'd have to think about it, but truthfully I'm probably boring ol' North America, judging from my collection.

redcrescent

It's not "pointless" at all, as there are undeniably certain musical styles and scenes associated with certain countries, are there not? And while obviously a lot of people are going to say UK/USA/Jamaica/Western Europe, this is exactly the kind of place where someone'll start waxing lyrical about Venezuelan 2-step or whatever and suddenly a whole new bunch of people are exposed to something interesting they'd never have heard of otherwise.

And as for it being "nationalistic" - *sigh* - the thread is titled "YOUR top 5 countries", not "What's the BEST country", isn't it? :slanted:

You're free to talk and think and arrange your cd's in any way you like, of course, and without meaning to offend anyone I think ranking countries according to your musical taste is a trivial exercise. That's all.

But if the conclusion is that your ears need to get out more and you suddenly need more Ethiopian gabber, Dutch rai and Algerian funk in your life, great, I'm in. Perhaps the question should just have been put a bit differently but what is Dissensus without derailments?

Not quite Orinoco 2step but well junglistic Venezuelan stuff on Junglista Records.

viktorvaughn

Every country has a body of music, albeit with varied and multiple influences.

Pick you favourite five of these bodies of work.

Why anyone would try and tease some sinister ethno-centric agenda from that question when there is clearly now basis for it is beyond me.

It was clearly a casual and innocent question celebrating music.

zhao

there are no accidents
Why anyone would try and tease some sinister ethno-centric agenda from that question when there is clearly now basis for it is beyond me.

the FUCK you talkin 'bout.

i bet what music currently gets made and played in India derives predominantly from America

if you don't think that's ethnocentric you a sorry ass IGNANT muthafuka too.

Last edited:

viktorvaughn

the FUCK you talkin 'bout.

if you don't think that's ethnocentric you a sorry ass IGNANT muthafuka too.

This is the question -

Your top 5 countries of best music - Obviously based on music you've been exposed to so unlikely to be a real test of which country produces the best music.

You responded to a statement (clearly factually wrong) made much later in the debate. As such it was not covered by the claim in my post which clearly refers to 'question' and not any subsequent debate.

Thanks for the fantastic constructive input though.

zhao

there are no accidents
apologize for rudeness.

but i'm done putting up with bigotted provincial bullshit. you see: i grew up with it. over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again i encounter it. shit makes me see red.

no one gets away with saying something like that.

and my response was to that statement alone, not to the entire thread.