Your top 5 countries of best music

viktorvaughn

apologize for rudeness.

but i'm done putting up with bigotted provincial bullshit. you see: i grew up with it. over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again i encounter it. shit makes me see red.

no one gets away with saying something like that.

and my response was to that statement alone, not to the entire thread.

Fair enough;) I just didn't like the idea that there was anything wrong with the original question.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Fair enough;) I just didn't like the idea that there was anything wrong with the original question.

It was only redcrescent who said there was anything wrong with that: zhao got riled up because of bun-u's statement about Indian pop music.

Now can we all just play nicely?

zhao

there are no accidents
Now can we all just play nicely?

maybe.

but since viktor brought it up again, just a little bit more on the subject:

eurocentricity is annoying enough -- but when Americans feel like they are the center of the universe, and from my experience most of them do, it's just absurd.

let's get it straight once and for all: EAST GAVE BIRTH TO THE WEST. no ifs buts or maybes about it.

almost everything came from the Middle East. and the rest from the Far East. the guitar was a variation of the oud. etc.

and for a people that have recently, in the perspective of world civilizations, become more technologically advanced, to feel like their culture is superior is just plain idiocy.

it's like a toddler with some new toys thinking it knows everything, and considers itself better than his grand parents, who has seen and invented 1000 times more than it can imagine -- indeed, the foundation which its new toys were built upon.

bun-u

Trumpet Police
the FUCK you talkin 'bout.

>>what music currently gets made and played in India derives predominantly from America<<

if you don't think that's ethnocentric you a sorry ass IGNANT muthafuka too.

would appreciate it if you avoid taking my words out of context dear chap...

I'd already professed my ignorance of indian music and preceeded that statement with 'i bet' illustrating that it was complete guesswork on my part... I'm quite okay with you shooting me down on stating it at the time...but I'm not happy with you re-presenting the statement as though i put it forward as a thesis

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
let's get it straight once and for all: EAST GAVE BIRTH TO THE WEST. no ifs buts or maybes about it.

almost everything came from the Middle East. and the rest from the Far East. the guitar was a variation of the oud. etc.

Are you talking about music specifically, or culture in general? And what is this 'East', anyway - the Levant? Turkey? India? China? Japan?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
That would be to ignore the cultural impact of a few obscure civilisations you probably won't have heard of - Greece, Rome, y'know... ;)

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
only one mention of BRAZIL>? whats wrong w/ you people?

3428265sepultura_logo.jpg
pot on, mate. :)

bnek

this is sublime

truly. have you heard baden powell quartet vol 1/2/3? very much in the same vein - i was trying to find similar music to 'os afros..' and was thrilled to come across those. check it out if you havent.

Eric

Mr Moraigero
OK, to take the question in the spirit in which it was intended

USA
Jamaica
Japan
Brazil
UK

in no particular order, and putting aside the question of historical bodies of work and whatnot. There's obviously other great modeern stuff around (SA, Germany, Mexico, Cuba ...) but these places are where the vast majority of what I listen to (regularly) comes from ...

bruno

est malade
truly. have you heard baden powell quartet vol 1/2/3? very much in the same vein - i was trying to find similar music to 'os afros..' and was thrilled to come across those. check it out if you havent.
thank you, i will :)

zhao

there are no accidents
That would be to ignore the cultural impact of a few obscure civilisations you probably won't have heard of - Greece, Rome, y'know... ;)
Mesopotamia, Indus Valley, the Nile m8, Greece and Rome were quite late arriving to the party.

just a quick google search on "Persian influence on Greece" turned up the following.

Ancient Greece was fundamentally a Middle Eastern civilization. The case for the foreign origin of Greek culture is such that, a little over fifty years ago, a German scholar had said:

...in view of this state of affairs it could not be called out of the way to ask what there was in Archaic Greece that did not come from the orient.

According to their own accounts, the Greeks were descended in large part from Danaus and Cadmus, two legendary personages recognized as Phoenicians, that is, from the people of Palestine, that resulted from the extensive intermarriage between Canaanites and Hebrews, and who had established colonies throughout the ancient Mediterranean.

http://www.thedyinggod.com/ancientgreece.html

Thus, Burkert sees no reason to isolate the mythological cosmogonies of the Greeks from their oriental counterparts: "They evidently belong to the same family, and it is no less evident that the Presocratics still follow in their steps" (61). In the realm of more rational fields such as mathematics and astronomy, where Greek dependence on continuous and extensive contacts with the East is incontrovertible

Classical Greeks themselves bear no small responsibility for our relative inattention to Persian influences on Greek culture.

The notion of an "isolated" Greek miracle is a mirage resulting from a historical accident

And yet in the process of acculturation something new may arise; and although Greeks had been on the receiving side for a long time, there is no doubt that the result is Greek. It is Greek art and architecture that have become classical, and Greek literature that has become world literature...

http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/bmcr/2005/2005-07-03.html

http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/bmcr/2005/2005-07-03.html

http://www.livius.org/ia-in/influence/influence01.html

http://users.cyberone.com.au/myers/india.html

http://www.eie.gr/greece-iran-conference/abstracts.html

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
can you recommend some such music? or direct me to a website/post someplace?

starting with a couple of my all time favorite Santur records, a few other examples follow.
find much much more here (can not see page without registration to forum)

2lyrcd7434.jpg

Nasser Rastegar-Nejad - In a Persian Garden - The Santur

part 1 and part 2 (not joined)

manahedjifcxb8.jpg

Behnam Manahedji - Master of Persian Santur [Wergo SM 1508-2, 1993]

download

dastgahsystemsov0.jpg

Classical Music of Iran. The Dastgah Systems
Smithsonian Folkways Recordings SFW40039, 1991 (1966)

download

leylifq8.jpg

(just look at that typography!!!)

Shahram Nazeri & Faramarz Payvar
Leyli o Majnoon
Soroush, 2002

download

midnightsunlb9.jpg

Hossein Behroozi Nia & Pejman Hadadi
Midnight Sun. Improvisations of Persian Traditional Music
7/8 Music 100005, 2002

download