Your top 5 countries of best music

bnek

starting with a couple of my all time favorite Santur records, a few other examples follow.
find much much more here (can not see page without registration to forum)
etc...]

jebus that was nice of you! many cheers. downloading now...

perhaps i can upload some brazilian niceness in return - have you the aforementioned baden powell quartet lps?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Mesopotamia, Indus Valley, the Nile m8, Greece and Rome were quite late arriving to the party.

I'm not talking about historical precedence - the USA's only been around for a blink of an eye, but I'd say it's had a fairly big cultural impact on the rest of the world, wouldn't you?

Edit: hang on a minute here...
...in view of this state of affairs it could not be called out of the way to ask what there was in Archaic Greece that did not come from the orient.
"It could not be called out of the way to ask whether..." - hardly sounds like concrete case there.
And:
According to their own accounts, the Greeks were descended in large part from Danaus and Cadmus, two legendary personages recognized as Phoenicians, that is, from the people of Palestine, that resulted from the extensive intermarriage between Canaanites and Hebrews, and who had established colonies throughout the ancient Mediterranean.
If this were the case, how come the Greeks speak an Indo-European language, rather than a Semetic one? How come their religion and mythology has analogues in other Indo-European, not Semetic, civilisations? Bear in mind rastas believe they're descended from the Twelve Tribes of Israel: doesn't make it historically accurate...

To say there was a Persian/Middle Eastern influence on Greece, fine. But to say that Greece in its entirety was based on other civilisations, with no cultural innovation of its own, is utter crap.

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
no one said Greeks didn't come up with shit on they own. in terms of philosophy, etc. (at the same time a lot of thinkers were very much influenced by eastern philosophy, Heraclitus for instance) they even dropped some science on their masters and teachers, the Persians, in the field of medicine.

but their debt to Persia has been down-played since back then, and even more now. fact that greeks ended up with title of "cradle of Western blah blah" is just an accident -- result of pure circumstance. the Middle East is the real rightful bearer of that title.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
no one said Greeks didn't come up with shit on they own.

Sure, there was a big influence, but the German guy quoted on that website seemed to be saying "well is there even ANYTHING the Greeks did off their own backs?", and the answer is obvious "yes, a hell of a lot". Even if the seeds of much of it may ultimately have come from somewhere else.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Sure, there was a big influence, but the German guy quoted on that website seemed to be saying "well is there even ANYTHING the Greeks did off their own backs?", and the answer is obvious "yes, a hell of a lot". Even if the seeds of much of it may ultimately have come from somewhere else.

Martin Bernall's 'Black Athena' series is an interesting and controversial read around these subjects

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Bernal

zhao

there are no accidents
perhaps i can upload some brazilian niceness in return - have you the aforementioned baden powell quartet lps?

no i haven't heard those. would be great to check them out! :) on the jazz samba side i've always really liked Ike Quebec.

term he actually used was "Archaic Greece". i think most of the independent innovations came in a later period.

lissajou

1. GERMANY

they invented the techno.

2. UK

your techno is better than their techno.

3. INDONESIA

their music sounds like techno, minus all the techno parts.

4. NIGERIA

not particularly techno, tho i have to give them props,
as this awesome gothic hippy girl once insisted i
was this guy in a prior life:

B00005R62B.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

5. CAMBODIA

kind of half nigerian, half indonesian, with the best breakdowns EVER, assuming by "breakdowns" you mean "part of the song where all the music stops and the singers begin sobbing inconsolably."

bnek

'nigeria 70' is the best comp. ever! gets lotsa plays at work :)

anyways i was about to upload but much more conveniently i have found the following links:

vol1

vol2

and vol3

from the wonderful loronix blog (seriously, one of the best blogs around...)

enjoy people. vol2 is my favorite.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Martin Bernall's 'Black Athena' series is an interesting and controversial read around these subjects

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Bernal

Lots of things are 'interesting and controversial' without being true.

From the Wiki article:
It should, however, be mentioned that no classical scholar ... has ever denied that Greek culture was heavily influenced by the Babylonians, Phoenicians and Egyptians during the so-called "Orientalizing period" (the 9th and early 8th centuries BCE)
...just as I've been saying: these civilisations were the dominant ones in the period prior to and during the genesis of Greek culture, so it'd be ridiculous to deny there was an influence going on, which is why no-one is doing so!
Bernal counters that the fierce resistance to his ideas, which go much farther than that, supports his position on the historiography of Classics.
"The Establishment says I'm wrong, so I must be right!" - hmm, heard *that* one before! http://www.dissensus.com/showthread.php?t=6471 ;)
Bernal's model posits, among other things, that Greece was occupied by Egypt for two long periods, even though no evidence for that can be found in Egyptian or other sources.
Quite a claim to make with no evidence...

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
there are gamelan-ish instruments in cambodia i think i've heard some... can't be sure. but i love all the dubby pop gems, and awesome disco pop on that Sub Freq comp. cambodian cassettes or watever (it was cambodian right? and not vietnamese... )

sing_minimal

im pretty sure there were both.

i love that persian stuf you posted back there..i wish you guys would talk more about that kind of excellent stuff..not just persian/ancient and not just in this topic..music in general..stuff you don't get to hear about on boomkat or pitchfork

zhao

there are no accidents
i wish you guys would talk more about that kind of excellent stuff..not just persian/ancient and not just in this topic..music in general..stuff you don't get to hear about on boomkat or pitchfork

word. i heard that. what i have to do is put together a comp of the most wickedest tunes around de world you won't hear about on boomkat or pitchfork™. i went ahead and trademarked that one, hope you don't mind (even though was your idea :p)

oh my lord... there is this one Indonesian track from the Music of Islam series, what sounds like a 14 year old girl vocalist just letting it rip, and the sick sick drums come in... goosebumps just thinking about it!!!!!!!!
unbelievable.

sing_minimal

i was checking all i could find in that islam series myself when i was looking for a song/surah i heard on a radio..plenty of that inthere but not that one guy with most awesome voice.
i don't remember the song you're talking about either.

and a compilation of tunes would be ace..i didn't think it was allowed to post mp3s on here or else i'd ask this before hehe. i'd post a selection myself, but it would probably/surely turn out rather ridicolus since you all have been probably listening to that stuff when you were getting into proper music : )

adruu

This Is It
i appreciate music more than film/lit BECAUSE we don't have to tie cultures or states to the product. or am i the only one...