benga - diary of an afro warrior

Pestario

tell your friends
That Plasticman mix is one of the best sets I've heard. I love that schizophrenic grime sound. I wish people still made this stuff.

ether

so is Magnetic Man all of them together or any of them at one time (if you see what i mean... is it a shared collective guise or a consistent collaboration)?

and do you happen to know the tracklist for the new LP? some of his new bits i'd love to see

I have it on good authority benga and skream are involved, you only need to hear their recent production outings.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
vinyl promo sold out at dubplate.net. Bollocks. If their site wasn't so shite and slow I'd have bought it when it was in stock...

Client Eastwood

Big hopes for Benga in 2008 :)

Eventually got my hands on this, had a couple of listens and im liking it a lot. I like how some of the intros are a bit light and airy and then comes the badness. The Cut is quite dark and nasty without losing the soul in the machine. Also Loose Synths, I really like the almost sad atmospherics (for want of a better word).

john eden

male pale and stale
From what I can remember it is waaaaaaaay too jazzy and plinky plonky for my tastes - i.e. diamtetrically opposite to some of the amazing tunes he ran on plate at House Party #2 last year.

But I'll try and give it another spin tonight.

Client Eastwood

From what I can remember it is waaaaaaaay too jazzy and plinky plonky for my tastes -

Do not listen to B4 The Dual that's jazz noodling dubstep all the way thro. Its even got a saxamophone on it I iirc : ) but other than that its quite restrained in the plink plonk.

elgato

I just dont know
From what I can remember it is waaaaaaaay too jazzy and plinky plonky for my tastes - i.e. diamtetrically opposite to some of the amazing tunes he ran on plate at House Party #2 last year.

But I'll try and give it another spin tonight.

do you have the cd version? cos the vinyl is very very different, much more tearing and techy

UFO over easy

online mahjong
the CD has Pleasure and Loose Synths though..

I think tempa have been very smart in how they've pushed this album to different markets on their respective formats..

elgato

I just dont know
the CD has Pleasure and Loose Synths though..

yeh i actually much prefer the CD! but i quite like plinky plonky stuff i guess. some of the vinyl material i loved at first but it reminds me too much of feeling numb in clubs! some of those tracks are still wicked though

gumdrops

theres something not quite that exciting about this. almost over laboured perhaps? its good but with some of bengas stuff, it just seems like hes done the engineering or sound sculpting so damn perfectly, it doesnt do much for me. too stainless.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
I have the vinyl (and no track listing!).

I really like it, there's a couple of brilliant bangers on there.

But - and I could be COMPLETELY wrong on this - it seems to me that some of the tunes seem to be like less-good versions of stuff Youngsta has been playing out for months. I suspect he's slightly over-cooked them.

Unless the ones I'm thinking of are actually by completely different people!

BTW I quite like the jazz-noodle one.

ramadanman

I really like this album, really good mix of tunes. Always though Benga's been underrated (interested to hear more about the 'great hard drive crash' of 2005 or somethin!) but its nice to see he's getting a lot of recognition now

re the mastering: far too loud IMO - the cd is actually distorted in some places. worried that the over compression loudness war seems to be creeping into some dubstep

ramadanman

nah both the cd and vinyl i do believe were mastered at heathmans....the thing is, if you bring in as good a mixdown as benga must do - does it really need that much doing to it? especially if something if going on the radio which means it goes through loads of multi band compression etc - does it really need that much limiting etc on it? it just seems to me a shame that probs the biggest selling dubstep release so far has these flaws