benga - diary of an afro warrior

staypuft

bwah bwah
theres something not quite that exciting about this. almost over laboured perhaps? its good but with some of bengas stuff, it just seems like hes done the engineering or sound sculpting so damn perfectly, it doesnt do much for me. too stainless.

I get the same feeling, that it's been overthought. it's varied and accessible, but I prefer the material I heard last year.

tomd

penis like a micromachine
the afro warrior cd isnt bad. il be honest im not into alot of dubstep, more grime. i would definately recommend any grime heads to pick up the invasion ep. 'Flame' and 'Evolution' have to be two of the best dubstep records ive ever heard. theres just such energy in both tracks. I can have both in full volume on the stereo and il hype up just the same as i would with grime.

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
i would definately recommend any grime heads to pick up the invasion ep.
That EP is good. Shame Big Apple refuse to acknowledge the existence of the mispress with the absolutely appalling anonymous house track on one side.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
I dunno if this is what you mean but both the vinyl and CD are extremely loud.. they cut through the mix like nobodies business, I take the treble and the mids down a touch when I mix them.
Yeah, bit too loud. But I meant the arrangements. Some of the tunes sound just like the really funky bangers Youngsta's been playing, only not quite as good, like he's spent too long fiddling with the track and made it lose focus. I might actually post some snippets - probably to find out they're by Se7en or someone!

UFO over easy

online mahjong
it's all about middleman on that EP

noel, how do you mean they refuse to acknowledge it? it certainly exists.. as a label they don't really have a big personal presence with which to acknowledge anything

Martin Dust

Techno Zen Master
The mastering on the CD is way out in places, which is a shame as Benga is one of our favourite artists.

Loud is, indeed, not better.

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
it's all about middleman on that EP

noel, how do you mean they refuse to acknowledge it? it certainly exists.. as a label they don't really have a big personal presence with which to acknowledge anything
Ok, maybe they do acknowledge that it happened but they wouldn't do anything about it. Several threads on dsf mentioning it were deleted at someone's behest. The first time it was brought up there the guy was totally lambasted by multiple people, including someone from Transition, and told that he was a moron as it was impossible and he was probably playing the record at the wrong speed.

I got one and sent a couple of polite emails to ask if there would be any more pressed and basically received no reply. Eventually it was - take it up with the distro. I know it's a small company but I wasn't even asking for a refund or anything - if you a buy someone's product and it's faulty you should at least expect them to talk to you.

Last edited:

matt b

Indexing all opinion
re the mastering: far too loud IMO - the cd is actually distorted in some places. worried that the over compression loudness war seems to be creeping into some dubstep

the night 12" is almost unlistenable for the same reason- is this a problem on the vinyl version of the lp?

UFO over easy

online mahjong
on the plus side of all this loudness war stuff, Electro Scratch sounds amazing on the new Ringo...

"just feel it!" http://www.boomkat.com/item.cfm?id=82946

one of the rare occasions I completely agree with the boomkat review as well.. weird

Ok, maybe they do acknowledge that it happened but they wouldn't do anything about it. Several threads on dsf mentioning it were deleted at someone's behest. The first time it was brought up there the guy was totally lambasted by multiple people, including someone from Transition, and told that he was a moron as it was impossible and he was probably playing the record at the wrong speed.

I got one and sent a couple of polite emails to ask if there would be any more pressed and basically received no reply. Eventually it was - take it up with the distro. I know it's a small company but I wasn't even asking for a refund or anything - if you a buy someone's product and it's faulty you should at least expect them to talk to you.

oh seen, I didn't know any of that.

Last edited:

Pestario

tell your friends
Picked this up and overall I like. Good thing people have said that Night sounds all distorted because I always need to turn it down when it comes on then turn it back up on the next track. Very annoying.

DannyL

Wild Horses
Offtopic but...

That's a nickname I haven't heard for a while - Martin, were you formerly known as Mal? If so, hiya - you might remember me from when I lived at Shuggy's...

Martin Dust

Techno Zen Master
That's a nickname I haven't heard for a while - Martin, were you formerly known as Mal? If so, hiya - you might remember me from when I lived at Shuggy's...

Hi Danny, yeah that's me - I was thinking about you and Shuggy the other day, good times. Of course I remember you from the early days of TOPY LDN, is Shuggy still down in Notts? Spoke to him about 5yrs ago but have seen or heard from him in a long time.

benjybars

village elder.
sorry, forgot about this...

http://www.deeptime.net/temp/SkreamBigAppleJan2004.mp3
http://www.deeptime.net/temp/BengaBigAppleNov2002.mp3
http://www.deeptime.net/temp/PlasticmanBigAppleMix.mp3

:D

eventually i'll post up a collection of older and hard to find sets at Riddim.ca. need to get in there in clean some things out first though.

could anyone be very very kind and re-up these (or point me to a working link)??

i lost these when i sold my laptop and have a burning desire to listen to them every day.

cheers!