powerpill

dont think so. the rinse podcasts haven't been updated for ages. hopefully someone recorded.

also, check this for a lineup:

MARCUS NASTY

DARKSTAR

DJ MAGIC

REECHA

SMOKEY & THE BANDIT

Friday, November 28 @ Dojo Lounge in Bristol.

elgato

I just dont know
yeh this is as good a time as any to mention it!...

(mods please forgive me!)

with Mak 10

!

come down if you're in town or otherwise ;)

double headed funky weekender in Bristol it seems!

Last edited:

benjybars

village elder.
anyone reach Beyond last night?

yep. had to leave about 1.30 so missed marcus nasty who was playing last.

flukes from crazy cousinz smacked it.

i enjoyed Katy B's live PA.

good night. pretty rammo.

some of the music felt pretty lightweight tho.

Tyro

The Kandy Tangerine Man
yep. had to leave about 1.30 so missed marcus nasty who was playing last.

flukes from crazy cousinz smacked it.

i enjoyed Katy B's live PA.

good night. pretty rammo.

some of the music felt pretty lightweight tho.

Marcus Nasty played it hard and wonky.Skepta and Jammer were both on the mic,but very briefly.Shame the punters were starting to tail off at that point.
I left at 3.15 and he was still on the decks.The dancefloor was empty by that point,but there were some men in the bar busting CRAZY moves to all the wonky stuff!

http://www.myspace.com/thekandytangerineman

viktorvaughn

Yeah it was good! Feels like could grow into something great...early days still but some wicked tunes and good atmosphere. I like to low ceilings of the place too.

Drinks pretty pricey so best to have a few beforehand.

Marcus was great, pretty much like the feel of a good rinse show.

Geeneus was good as fair as I remember, accidentally snoozed for a bit of it in a drunken haze.

Crazi Cousins sounded good too.

Lost my coat. No vinyl in sight I don't think?

Tyro

The Kandy Tangerine Man
Yeah it was good! Feels like could grow into something great...early days still but some wicked tunes and good atmosphere. I like to low ceilings of the place too.

Drinks pretty pricey so best to have a few beforehand.

Marcus was great, pretty much like the feel of a good rinse show.

Geeneus was good as fair as I remember, accidentally snoozed for a bit of it in a drunken haze.

Crazi Cousins sounded good too.

Lost my coat. No vinyl in sight I don't think?

I've found the Geeneus sets a bit less interesting than most of the others I've heard down there.The stuff he plays seems to sit between the 'soulfull' side of things and the 'wonky'.Having said that he seems to rely less on playing the big anthems that a lot of the other DJ's sets are built around.I saw no evidence of vinyl being used by anyone.Marcus Nasty arrived to DJ with one of those hardbody CD cases.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Footloose and Supa D and others are playing in Nottingham next Friday and I'm thinking of reaching... but will they just play a lot of 'soulful' house?

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Nottingham = DIY so if they know the scene they may well play the more interesting end of minimal crossing over with funky (cf the couzinz set from a couple of months back).

What's the venue? if it's an r'n'b crowd they may play straight up funky...

QueenofSheba

Keep It Funky!!
Wouldn't be callin it Wonky lol

Marcus Nasty played it hard and wonky.Skepta and Jammer were both on the mic,but very briefly.Shame the punters were starting to tail off at that point.
I left at 3.15 and he was still on the decks.The dancefloor was empty by that point,but there were some men in the bar busting CRAZY moves to all the wonky stuff!

Do you know the correct definition of Wonky?? I don't think Marcus would like for you to be calling what he plays that!!! :eek:

I seriously doubt anybody was playing vinyl last night. Probably were mixing on CDJ 1000's. They're becoming the club standard.

There's a good night coming up next weekend in Coventry called Checkmate @ Club Demand. I think I'll be taking a road trip for that lol :D

gumdrops

i went beyond on thurs but had to get up early this morning for work so couldnt stay that long. what i heard til about half 12 (got there at 10!) was a mix - a lot of lightweight, more regular soulful house stuff mixed with the occasional 'uk funky' tune... really gutted i couldnt stay to hear what marcus played but maybe next time.

Tyro

The Kandy Tangerine Man
Do you know the correct definition of Wonky?? I don't think Marcus would like for you to be calling what he plays that!!! :eek:

I seriously doubt anybody was playing vinyl last night. Probably were mixing on CDJ 1000's. They're becoming the club standard.

There's a good night coming up next weekend in Coventry called Checkmate @ Club Demand. I think I'll be taking a road trip for that lol :D

I understand the sensitivity connected with the W word and my use of it in relation to the tunes that I heard wasnt intentionally flippant,but I do fully understand how it could be taken that way.

To my ears Marcus Nasty played quite a high proportion of tunes that noticably eschewed a regular 4x4 pulse in favour of beats that were 'broken' and involved interesting syncopation.These beats were often based around solid Afro,Soca and Latin percussive elements.A poverty of langugue to describe this remarkable sound inadvertently led me to use the 'unfortunate' word.

I have found your blog highly interesting and would be curious to hear if you or the DJ's and Producers in your acquaintance see a need to label different elements within the music or is the feeling held that to name is to define and to define is to limit?

Last edited:

viktorvaughn

There is a funky weekly at Fridge Bar in Brixton I think.

NEXT DATE FUNKY DISCO SAT 15th NOV @ N-KI BAR (Holloway)

House arrest every 3rd Friday at E3

Need more funky in my life...getting addicted. It's a nice feeling.

Last edited: