Dogma 08 (for djs)

zhao

there are no accidents
wait did i imagine that someone said there must be at least 5 seconds of silence somewhere in the middle of the set? interesting idea! considering inclusion...

that's shocking. but goes without saying no?

I thought so until I heard "Summertime" with bomb noises in the middle then segalizer ripped straight out of a spliffman mix later on in the night. Same DJ but still.
If it wasn't free I'd have been incredibly pissed.

mms

sometimes
oh god i've heard some horrible things with mp3 djing, the djs think they can kind of get away with it cos they're playing that horrible midrangey ed banger stuff, so even a poor mp3 sounds reasonable cos it's all distorted anyway, but it just sounds even shitter.

zhao

there are no accidents
oh god i've heard some horrible things with mp3 djing, the djs think they can kind of get away with it cos they're playing that horrible midrangey ed banger stuff, so even a poor mp3 sounds reasonable cos it's all distorted anyway, but it just sounds even shitter.

i was gon put no ed banger but ehh

gremino

Moster Sirphine

I agree so much with this...

True composition is lost in nowadays dance music. I mean, ofcourse it doesn't have to be like in classical or jazz for example, as dance music's nature is simple and repetitive, but it doesn't have to be SO repetitive and simple. At the end of the day, almost everybody can learn to polish sounds and make great mixdowns. But, to truly compose rhythms, melodies, riffs, chords, or creating new sound ideas, not just polishing them, takes a real talent.

Other thing what irritates me is the lack of rhythm in today's dance music. Not every producer can create an infectious groove. It's just so sad to see how little people appreciate rhythm in this music, as rhythm is the most important thing in it!

I mean compare the variety of beats in old jungle to say modern dnb and a lot of that seemed to be from 808 subs and cut up breaks. Same thing with a lot of garage, fairly simple soundsets which allowed more invention in the beats.
Some old grime tunes uses exactly the same sound palettes (like some Wiley-beats), but differs how they are composed. This have inspired me to make beats in same way, and I tell you: it's such a powerfull way to create innovative music, and much more enjoyable than spend all your energy for creating sounds and compressing the drums ect., before you can get to the actual composing. This is the problem with making music with computers: you can't give your inspirational burst out right away when you have to do all sorts of tweaking first, whereas with acoustic instrument you just start to play.

I very much recommend this way of producing for all producers. If you have created a nicely working sound palette, why not use more than just a one time! And you can always make changes to the palette if it sounds too samey.

Benny Bunter

I very much recommend this way of producing for all producers. If you have created a nicely working sound palette, why not use more than just a one time! And you can always make changes to the palette if it sounds too samey.

Yeah I think the best stuff comes when someone has total mastery over a quite limited set of tools. Wiley's a good example, and someone like Burial would be another obvious one.

But back to the thread topic: I just bought my first set of (cheap, secondhand) decks today, so this thread is making some quite interesting (and intimidating) reading :eek:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Zhao, where do you stand on DJ announcements such as "I'd like to dedicate this next track to Ted, it's his 40th birthday today, everyone give it up for TED!" or "...and now for a slow and smoochy number for all you lovers out there..."?

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
I like this thread, but I think, like, unfortunately most DJs, it's just not concise or clear enough. Not knockin you Zhao but if you were gonna do a Dogme - which I hated - you gotta be more brutal, thus :

1. No selection which has been used by another dj ever; only self-produced works.

2. No dj tools except as transition.

3. No effects.

4. No samples, other than one's own voice.

And you'd probably end up at Shaka or something like one of the sound systems, no?

Dogme was about stripping it down, and if yer gonna do it, you may as well do it, I don't see the point in getting arbitrary, even for conversation sakes. I would also argue that if it's a pure Dogme DJ-ing, that only mp3s would be allowed, and, really, fuck sound, fuck listening and fuck quality.

doom

Public Housing
1. No selection which has been used by another dj ever; only self-produced works.

Kind of defeats the purpose of a DJ bein educator / proliferator of musics, new & old.

I think;

No mix which has been used by another dj ever

i.e No doing the same blends / re-creating your fav. DJ/Blogs tracklists in the club.

Agree with points 2, 3 & 4*

you gotta be more brutal

*In the club, mixtapes should include chopped up samples / drops etc. from a variety of sources - as many as possible to try n stop the god awfull phenomenon slackk has mentioned, altho

"Summertime" with bomb noises in the middle

would indicate these induviduals are beyond giving a damn! :confused: :mad:

Shonx

Shallow House
Kind of defeats the purpose of a DJ bein educator / proliferator of musics, new & old.

Shudder. I think dj's should try and introduce new music they're feeling but educating the crowd is really condescending, and probably contributing to more people taking matters into their own hands. It's a club night, should be about entertainment first surely (however broad one's definition of entertainment might be)

doom

Public Housing

Well, I don't mean it in a "thou shall learn from my impenetrable well of knowledge" Its a dialectic relationship. The learning goes both way, alot of DJs I've met have as much to learn from the crowd as the other way round.

I think dj's should try and introduce new music they're feeling but educating the crowd is really condescending, and probably contributing to more people taking matters into their own hands. It's a club night, should be about entertainment first surely (however broad one's definition of entertainment might be)

Learning new things is fun & exciting. Taking part in an ongoing dialog is entertaining... maybe I'm wierd.

:cool:

mms

sometimes
i don't produce so playing stuff that's not by others is out of the question.
play what thou wilt is the whole of the law:cool:

Shonx

Shallow House
Well, I don't mean it in a "thou shall learn from my impenetrable well of knowledge" Its a dialectic relationship. The learning goes both way, alot of DJs I've met have as much to learn from the crowd as the other way round.

Ah that's cool, I have known dj's that will put on what they choose, clear the floor and then say the audience is too stupid/conservative/cliquey and doesn't get it rather than ever accept responibility for the fact that perhaps their sets were...erm...dull.

Think it's actually worse with the bigger name dj's a lot of the time, newcomers often have more affinity with the crowd in smaller clubs and take more risks rather than slot into the narrow confines of their "style".

Learning new things is fun & exciting. Taking part in an ongoing dialog is entertaining... maybe I'm wierd.

:cool:

Nah that makes perfect sense, onwards with the educational gobshitery ;)

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
play what thou wilt is the whole of the law[/QUOTE]

hehe genius

I just reckon if you do a 'self produced' then it would cancel out about 3/4 of the DJs in the world. No bad thing, y'know? I'm not saying it's a better option, but if yer gonna be really Year Zero about it then I'd go the whole way and look at ways of making the rules so extreme that people can't follow them, I think that's what Dogme meant for me anyway. Oh, and making the rules and then breaking them immediately cos one has no regard for anything and certainly not one's actors or audience(Von Trier! Detention!)

Last edited:

straight

wings cru
Ableton has an arpeggiator???

live57arpeggiator.l.jpg

DJ PIMP

no boring shit

play from any period but play to the zeitgeist

tell a story

don't play it if you don't Love it

in a set there must be at least one moment of utter bliss and one moment that stares into the abyss (win a small prize if you combine the two)

play to the unconscious

Last edited: