Dogma 08 (for djs)

doom

Public Housing
depressing thread

Get in the spirit Ben!

f1g3367-398h.jpg

CHAOTROPIC said:
Brilliant. Agreeing with Sloane's Pol Pot-esque Year Zero too.

I support this, but only if it means building public piles of chrome & neon club fixtures held together by the melted remains of 'big room' & 'peak time' house records!

Chef Napalm

Lost in the Supermarket
Perhaps UFO over easy has a point after all. Let's start again and stop being negative; DOs instead of DON'Ts.

DO play tracks that have been properly mastered and sound good on a large system.

DO mix it up, cross genres, and vary BPMs during your set.

DO break new music whenever possible.

DO make us of repitition and/or DJ tools to enhance your set.

DO play vocal tracks, even in a minimal set.

DO throw in the occassional silence for effect.

No more ableton arpeggio used by lazy minimal producers (me) as a way to fill space

DO push the limits of your format/platform of choice and your skills with said format/platform.

During your set there must be at least one moment of utter bliss and one moment that stares into the abyss. *nods to DJ PIMP*

gremino

Moster Sirphine
don't play it if you don't Love it
Agreed.

To continue Chef's positivity (though not purely positive):
As a promoter, do book dj's who are good, rather than djs who are utterly mediocore, whilst you are still booking them just because they are your friends.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Perhaps UFO over easy has a point after all. Let's start again and stop being negative; DOs instead of DON'Ts.
I think the point of Dogme was that it's a rigorous self denying discipline that you opt into rather than a set of general guidelines that everyone should follow. We're talking rules like
Filming must be done on location. Props and sets must not be brought in (if a particular prop is necessary for the story, a location must be chosen where this prop is to be found).
And
The sound must never be produced apart from the images or vice versa. (Music must not be used unless it occurs within the scene being filmed)
So negativity and excessive strictness is sort of the point...

DO play tracks that have been properly mastered and sound good on a large system.
To be honest, I think low production values are the least of dance music's problems at the moment. (And that goes about 500 times over for the people who responded to the Philip Sherburne thing with a load of stuff about how digital instruments can never make music with soul. Suck my Wiley records you stuck up vintage fauntleroys.)

So yeah, if I was going to follow Dogme type rules they'd be
1) never play the same tune on two successive nights
2) don't play any tunes that have had proper releases in the last three years - old stuff or dubs only.

Anything beyond that seems like fairly sensible ideas for a good selection but not so much in the Dogme spirit...

swears

preppy-kei
Only play good records, not bad ones.

Play a good set, not a rubbish one.

Don't let yourself be confined by genre, unless you really like that a particular genre, then just focus on that.

oblioblioblio

Wild Horses
i find this thread a little depressing too.

to a certain extent a person is responisble for moderating their own output, and in my opinion the role of an artist (which i would consder many djs to be) is as a celebration of this. they are roaming in free territory, guided by their own instincts and beliefs. it is up to them where and whther they set barriers.

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
I think the point of Dogme was that it's a rigorous self denying discipline that you opt into rather than a set of general guidelines that everyone should follow.

So negativity and excessive strictness is sort of the point...

yes.

1) never play the same tune on two successive nights

so rewinds are out the question i take it. maybe that should be in there before this one.

i find this thread a little depressing too.

to a certain extent a person is responisble for moderating their own output, and in my opinion the role of an artist (which i would consder many djs to be) is as a celebration of this. they are roaming in free territory, guided by their own instincts and beliefs. it is up to them where and whther they set barriers.

missing the point jack

DJ PIMP

I'd go the other way... if you have a track that is Pure Heat, play it twice on the same night. 3 times even...

zhao

there are no accidents
I'd go the other way... if you have a track that is Pure Heat, play it twice on the same night. 3 times even...

i personally never do rewinds... just because there is always so much more material than i ever have time for.

DJ PIMP

no i'm not talking about rewinds, i hate them. breaks the flow etc.

i mean if you have the best new track in the world for that week, why not play it a second time a couple of hours later. and then tease with it a bit, a couple hours after that.