Dogma 08 (for djs)

swears

preppy-kei
i agree with oblio and swears. this thread is whack.

I don't think the general idea of the thread is so bad... just that it's very hard to pin down what kind of rules would make you a better dj when it's such a gut-feeling pursuit.

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
nice list beaming with dentine positivity from that article someone linked to earlier:

1. Try to emphasize content over form.

2. Challenge yourself. If it seems too easy, it is questionable at best.

3. Personalize all sounds, effects, and arrangements wherever possible.

4. Refrain from releasing or submitting any track that:

___a. sounds like it could be the work of another producer,

___b. sounds redundantly like other works of your own, or

___c. only evokes the emotion of being in a club.

5. Treat every track as you would a loved one; support and encourage its individuality, and never misguide or manipulate it for popularity purposes.

6. Study and consider the history of dance music and make every attempt possible to carry on its creative and positive traditions while respectfully avoiding mimicking, re-treading, or capitalizing on its origins for content.

7. Honestly question your motivation and objective, particularly if your interest in dancing and dance music is a result of certain chemical experiences.

swears

preppy-kei
Hmmm... I dunno, I think a lot of the best dance music is disposable and trashy. This is all getting a bit too self-serious and chin-strokey.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
so rewinds are out the question i take it. maybe that should be in there before this one.
Actually I'd allow rewinds. The point of the rules would be to make myself (if I was a DJ, which I'm not, and if I did follow those rules, which I don't) go for a much more varied and unpredictable selection than I maybe would if I knew I could get a reaction from playing from playing my small selection of big exclusives that everyone's expecting me to play and filling out the gaps with tried and tested stuff from the last year or so. But I think if you're out to surprise people with great records, it's fair enough to pull up the odd one. It's only a problem where every tune's a big obvious anthem so every tune gets pulled up.

Also, I've seen a few deep dubstep sets lately that would have been improved by having the flow broken up a bit tbh; they were smooth and in the groove to the point of tedium and a rowdy break in the flow and a bit of audience participation might have helped wake people up...

zhao

there are no accidents
i agree with oblio and swears. this thread is whack.

not NEARLY as whack as hearing shitty "remixes" of Paperplanes followed by Justice on every shitty dj mix on every identical hipster music blog from every major metropolitan area on earth.

Last edited:

Shonx

Shallow House
Also, I've seen a few deep dubstep sets lately that would have been improved by having the flow broken up a bit tbh; they were smooth and in the groove to the point of tedium and a rowdy break in the flow and a bit of audience participation might have helped wake people up...

Think this was covered by...

no boring shit

I do think one person's "deep" is another person's "dull and indistinct" though.

Immryr

not NEARLY as whack as hearing shitty "remixes" of Paperplanes followed by Justice on every shitty dj mix on every identical hipster music blog from every major metropolitan area on earth.

stop listening to them then. no one is forcing you to.

i think i must have heard justice maybe once in my life, and never a "remix" of paperplanes, you know why? cause i know i don't / won't like them, so i avoid them.

Last edited:

swears

preppy-kei
I think Justice are great. "DVNO" is one of my fave singles of the year, it's what pop should sound like in 2008. I think a lot of the resentment towards them stems from the fact that they're two guys who've acheived more in terms of a musical career before the age of 25 than most muso spods will in a lifetime. I've seen them play twice and they rocked it 100x more than any goateed deep house "legend" would.

zhao

there are no accidents
stop listening to them then. no one is forcing you to.

i think i must have heard justice maybe once in my life, and never a "remix" of paperplanes, you know why? cause i know i don't / won't like them, so i avoid them.

online mixes with shit track-listings are easy to avoid but sometimes you just go with the flow and end up at some hipster hangout where there is a dj...

mms

sometimes
I think Justice are great. "DVNO" is one of my fave singles of the year, it's what pop should sound like in 2008. I think a lot of the resentment towards them stems from the fact that they're two guys who've acheived more in terms of a musical career before the age of 25 than most muso spods will in a lifetime. I've seen them play twice and they rocked it 100x more than any goateed deep house "legend" would.

i only heard a few of their songs the two i really liked was the goblin track and the 'we are your friends' which was a remix by simian, i guess what the problem is, is the ease of creating a really botchy mix out of distorted grating ed banger stuff, i agree in small doses there are some moments but even most of the ed banger music seems to have been thrown together with no real ideas or conviction etc.

zhao

there are no accidents
most of the ed banger music seems to have been thrown together with no real ideas or conviction etc.

but there will never be a shortage of nuravers desperate to get skull fucked by horrible distortion set to rock-riffs-for-todlers over an electro-by-numbers beat until their ears bleed.

i'm not saying there is no place for that, just like Dogme95 never said there is no place for blockbuster films.

zhao

there are no accidents
last night just further reinforced in my mind the absolute necessity of this.

friends drag me to this party because friend of theirs had some "art" up, and the dj was just fucking atrocious. had no sense of flow or structure, cut from roots reggae to house and would go from high energy all of a sudden back to mellow. nothing made sense, and then he got into his mashups:

Smells like Teen Spirit VS. Billie Jean
Beat it VS. (what sounded like) Chemical Brothers,
the Cure Close To Me VS. Drop it Like it's Hot

i mean i try, oh the good lord knows i try... not to think, not to judge, and get down have a good time... i give people SO MUCH LEEWAY...

what do people do when this shit happens? do you just politely take your leave, trying not to think about the money you paid, the time you wasted, the good cheer ruined, the hopes of having a good time robbed from your saturday night? does anyone ever just tell the DJ that he sucks? does anyone ever tell the promoter the DJ sucks? i did the former, and went home quietly around 1AM, which is like, 9PM berlin time. fucking BULLSHIT i tell you.

Last edited:

Shonx

Shallow House
what do people do when this shit happens? do you just politely take your leave, trying not to think about the money you paid, the time you wasted, the good cheer ruined, the hopes of having a good time robbed from your saturday night? does anyone ever just tell the DJ that he sucks? does anyone ever tell the promoter the DJ sucks?

I don't really go to clubs unless I'm playing, so I'd probably keep that quiet. :slanted:

I may have been lucky and not heard any really shit dj's (certainly not that I've paid for), but being dull and predictable has been far too common.

benjybars

village elder.
Only play good records, not bad ones.

Play a good set, not a rubbish one.

Don't let yourself be confined by genre, unless you really like that a particular genre, then just focus on that.

swears knows.

yeah this thread is pretty depressing.