Music that is psychedelic

empty mirror

remember the jackalope
Re being picky, Just being pickier about who you decide to fuck doesn't mean you have a lower libido. For millions of years, before you had safe, legal, accessible abortions and contraception widely available, it was women who were left holding the bag (a screaming infant) after a night of sex. The high likelihood that a child has of sharing some of its father's traits means that most women don't want to be left taking care of a little douchebag replicant. So most women try to "mate" with men they find attractive on multiple levels, not just the physical one, because they're effectively always forced into thinking about potential mates as potential fathers for their offspring. Women now are probably going to tend this way, toward being picky, due to our biology having formed around this strategy over millions of years, despite having access to better pregnancy planning methods. Men, now, as always, walk alway from a recreational sexual encounter more likely to be unscathed by said screaming infant.
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
Ok, I think I can tie this Bonobo sex tangent and this drugs topic together in an anecdote. On a recent airplane trip, I had the good fortune of sitting next to one Gladys Friedler, a developmental pharmacologist, aged 80-something, noted folk-singer of the 1950s----her research was on the effect of a father's drug ingestion of a fetus, a topic handily overlooked by her colleagues and predecessors. She found her research ignored, or worse, for something like forty years until recent findings validated her life's work. Basically, as she told me on a three hour flight, she dosed a female mouse some opiates (i forgot which) and found that the offspring had slightly lower birthweight, but nothing significant, particularly when compared to the results when the father mouse was dosed----the offspring of mice with the father mouse dosed had a significantly lower birth weight, and a laundry list of defects. basically, she found that these opiates are mutagens.

A little googling turned up the name of her paper:
“Paternal Exposures: Impact on Reproductive and Developmental Outcomes. An Overview. Pharmacology Biochemistry and Behavior"

besides that she told me of seeing the birth of the acid scene in late sixties san francisco. she also related a story of seeing jefferson airplane in 68 or 69, everyone dosed out their minds, and going into the bathroom to collect herself, and finding women shooting up heroin. she said she didn't do drugs herself, on account of her line of work... she was basically describing the death throws of the flower children.

ack. i've typed too much.
[/FONT]

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Bear in mind that women may not want to have sex with the bonobo from the movie, but they may be aroused and want to have sex in one form or another--with themselves or another human-- after watching bonobo sex movies."
I can think of several books and one film where horses having sex is used as a scene to get either the characters or the viewer in the mood and I wouldn't say that they were books aimed at women - in fact one was by Wilbur Smith I think which is probably about as masculine as you can get.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Re being picky, Just being pickier about who you decide to fuck doesn't mean you have a lower libido.

Well yes, this is just the point I was making.

Men, now, as always, walk alway from a recreational sexual encounter more likely to be unscathed by said screaming infant.

Certainly not guaranteed to be unscathed though, in a country with things like paternity tests and a child support agency (which, it goes without saying, are obviously Good Things). Not that paying money for a long time is in quite the same league as having a kid to bring up, of course.

Last edited:

nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag
Ok, I think I can tie this Bonobo sex tangent and this drugs topic together in an anecdote. On a recent airplane trip, I had the good fortune of sitting next to one Gladys Friedler, a developmental pharmacologist, aged 80-something, noted folk-singer of the 1950s----her research was on the effect of a father's drug ingestion of a fetus, a topic handily overlooked by her colleagues and predecessors. She found her research ignored, or worse, for something like forty years until recent findings validated her life's work. Basically, as she told me on a three hour flight, she dosed a female mouse some opiates (i forgot which) and found that the offspring had slightly lower birthweight, but nothing significant, particularly when compared to the results when the father mouse was dosed----the offspring of mice with the father mouse dosed had a significantly lower birth weight, and a laundry list of defects. basically, she found that these opiates are mutagens.

“Paternal Exposures: Impact on Reproductive and Developmental Outcomes. An Overview. Pharmacology Biochemistry and Behavior"

besides that she told me of seeing the birth of the acid scene in late sixties san francisco. she also related a story of seeing jefferson airplane in 68 or 69, everyone dosed out their minds, and going into the bathroom to collect herself, and finding women shooting up heroin. she said she didn't do drugs herself, on account of her line of work... she was basically describing the death throws of the flower children.

ack. i've typed too much.
[/FONT]

Very interesting, yes. Of course this much is true! If toxic substances can mutate cells or DNA from one kind of human tissue (eggs), they sure as hell can mutate cells or DNA of another (sperm). But no one focuses on this, because, as in most sexual matters, people would prefer to moralize only at women, and judge them, and limit them, and contain them via control-mechanisms like objectification.

About opiates and pregnancy--they barely pass through the placenta. On top of this, they are not neurotoxic, so in terms of actual long-term or developmental damage to a fetus due to opiate exposure or in utero addiction, there's almost none, especially compared to other drugs, for example methamphetamine, alcohol, or cocaine. (This isn't to say--go use them! Opiates are just comparatively far less risky during pregnancy--less risky even than antibiotics or aspirin, some doctors might say). Even among these, only alcohol is conclusively proven to cause birth defects and to delay development.

I'd be surprised if Ms. Friedler's research were replicated today with opiate use among fathers, but I would not be surprised at all if they were replicated using alcohol, or methamphetamine, as the control substance.

Last edited:

nomadthethird

Well yes, this is just the point I was making.

Certainly not guaranteed to be unscathed though, in a country with things like paternity tests and a child support agency (which, it goes without saying, are obviously Good Things). Not that paying money for a long time is in quite the same league as having a kid to bring up, of course.

Not to mention that in the U.S., proving paternity can end up costing a lot of money, a lot of money that impoverished women don't have in the first place, so the women who end up needing child support or alimony the most can't get it.

And no, throwing money at a child is not the same as taking an active and interested role in its development as a human being.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
And no, throwing money at a child is not the same as taking an active and interested role in its development as a human being.

Agreed. My mum used to teach in a prison and so many of the guys she met in there had kids all over the place by a string of anonymous babymamas. Of course, many of the inmates were probably conceived in similar circumstances themselves, and it's hard not see their kids - the male ones, at least - probably growing up to do exactly the same thing. What goes around does indeed come around...

empty mirror

remember the jackalope
But no one focuses on this, because, as in most sexual matters, people would prefer to moralize only at women, and judge them, and limit them, and contain them via control-mechanisms like objectification.
the was basically her experience doing the research---it was dismissed largely because the (male) establishment perceived her efforts as "picking on" males.

just reading up on paternal exposure in another book confirmed that it was Morphine that friedler was using in her tests. she found that paternal exposure to morphine negatively effected not only the offspring of the exposed males, but also, the second generation of mice.

haven't read it but this book leans heavily on friedler and takes a political approach to the science of male reproduction

i, frankly, have little exposure to any of this stuff (except for ancient greek ideas of reproduction), i am just here for the psychedelic music, man!

edit: i have been volleying emails with gladys this week---i'm sure she'd be chuffed to know we are talking about her work. our emails are just about folk music. i keep trying to get her to listen to my radio show but she's got dial-up and can't figure it out. maybe i will ask her to sign up here and contribute to this psychedelic bonobo sex thread!

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
"wAgAwAgA" Seems pretty psychadellic to me. inhabits a very strange space anyway following a dub/dubstep sort of frame and pushing it with some weird sonics. Well worth a listen. www.myspace.com/splagawagawaga . His album is up for free download thorugh here-> http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=78026590&blogID=452999350

yeah he's really good, not many ppl have pcked up on him

here is his ep on imminent recordings a bit more focussed than that album
http://www.boomkat.com/item.cfm?id=143281

I'm going to see Wagawaga live tonight in Belfast, part of an Acroplane showcase, should be good. There's a weed drought atm though and i'd love a smoke for his set, bet that never happens in LDN!

nomadthethird

the was basically her experience doing the research---it was dismissed largely because the (male) establishment perceived her efforts as "picking on" males.

just reading up on paternal exposure in another book confirmed that it was Morphine that friedler was using in her tests. she found that paternal exposure to morphine negatively effected not only the offspring of the exposed males, but also, the second generation of mice.

haven't read it but this book leans heavily on friedler and takes a political approach to the science of male reproduction

i, frankly, have little exposure to any of this stuff (except for ancient greek ideas of reproduction), i am just here for the psychedelic music, man!

edit: i have been volleying emails with gladys this week---i'm sure she'd be chuffed to know we are talking about her work. our emails are just about folk music. i keep trying to get her to listen to my radio show but she's got dial-up and can't figure it out. maybe i will ask her to sign up here and contribute to this psychedelic bonobo sex thread!

This is really cool, Empty. I'm surprised with the morphine, actually really surprised. Mostly because your brain is always making natural opiates. Must be someting about synthesizing them that makes them DNA damaging. I'd be really interested in finding out though.

littlebird

Wild Horses
[/FONT]

interesting paper/topic on a subject that has been overlooked for quite some time, and is still, afaik, underdeveloped. i have read quite a few studies on paternal alcohol consumption and links to certain genetic disorders/birth defects/birth weights. turner syndrome has been linked to paternal alcoholism, and there has been some discussion/study towards paternal alcohol and drug consumption and autism/hyperactivity in offspring (most notably male offspring).

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
interesting paper/topic on a subject that has been overlooked for quite some time, and is still, afaik, underdeveloped. i have read quite a few studies on paternal alcohol consumption and links to certain genetic disorders/birth defects/birth weights. turner syndrome has been linked to paternal alcoholism, and there has been some discussion/study towards paternal alcohol and drug consumption and autism/hyperactivity in offspring (most notably male offspring).

But with things like autism which (I presume) aren't immediately apparent at birth, how are congenital effects distinguished from the environmental influence of having a junky or an alcoholic for a father?

zhao

there are no accidents
The brain

anyone know about the Hawkwind/Chrome related project THE BRAIN??????

at some show or other during my teens was given a cassette by this long haired dude who said it was one of his projects. it had a white cover, some drawing of a head or brain on it, and just the words "The Brain".

went home and was blown away, and it became the soundtrack of many many acid trips -- it was weird but so good. WARNING BAD METAPHOR AHEAD: if Chrome, Soweisoso period Cluster, and early Cabs had a three-some... and Legendary Pink Dots raised the demon child.

have been trying to track that fucking thing down for a decade or more... discogs lists like 500 artists called the brain... i'll look harder.

Last edited:

nomadthethird

But with things like autism which (I presume) aren't immediately apparent at birth, how are congenital effects distinguished from the environmental influence of having a junky or an alcoholic for a father?

Autism, I just can't wait until they figure out what causes it. But I highly doubt it has much to do with drug consumption and more do to with environmental toxins. They already discovered a link between areas with high precipitation levels and births of children with autism.

And if morphine is bad for your sperm, I don't even want to know what alcohol can do...scary.

I've been thinking about Ms. Friedler's research for a while and she's amazingly ahead of her time and obviously right on.

Think about it--women are born with all of their eggs. So the only real way you can rely on them mutating is just letting them sit there for a long time and some of them will spontaneously mutate. This is why older women are at an increased risk of having a Down Syndrome baby. But as far as female drug use is concerned--our eggs are pretty far away from any vascularization or blood source. It's not impossible, but highly improbable that they would absorb or be exposed to any drugs that were taken in.

In men, it's an entirely different story. New sperm are made every day or two. These are going to rely on everything you've got, and genetically, yes, they could very easily be mutated by the presence of drugs or toxic substances in the bloodstream.

Friedler makes me realize two things: 1) feminists are nowhere near done and 2) I should really consider applying for MD/PhD programs rather than just MDs if I want to help change the current bias of research into genetic causes that is toward mothers and away from fathers and balance it out. The money's not as good but it's also $200,000 cheaper.

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Very interesting...though of course an important environmental factor has to be compounds the foetus is exposed to in utero, right? I mean, it certainly sounds plausible that sperm might be at greater risk than eggs of mutation from exposure to toxins, but there are plenty of things other than mutations that can fuck you up one way or another.