Swine Flu

unclerico

I was wondering about that, thanks for the reminder.

Some good information on natural antivirals and also what might be best avoided (including Echinacea) here:

thats an absolutely fantastic list thanks!

i'm going to make up a store of some of this stuff just in case, as far as i can gather if the excessive immune response part of it can be dealt with the swine flu should be fairly manageable

another interesting thing is that brown rice might be a bad idea

despite being highly nutritious a lot of brown rice that is available, even the organic stuff, has high levels of arsenic which studies have shown can negatively affect our response to flu

in fact it said that it meant that people had an initially weak immune response which was then followed by an excessive cytokine response - which would be pretty grim in the case of swine flu

massrock

Listen right, if you're going to have containers of swine flu on trains then at least try not letting them explode, mkay?

http://www.spiegel.de/international/zeitgeist/0,1518,621598,00.html

It has all the hallmarks of a disaster movie: A container filled with the swine flu virus explodes on a busy train. But that's exactly the scenario that briefly caused the Swiss authorities some alarm on Monday evening. In the midst of global fears of a swine flu pandemic, a container with swine flu exploded on a train carrying over 60 people.

zhao

there are no accidents
some alarming figures i saw this morning from Patrick Dixon off twitter:

(H1N1) has spread faster in 6 weeks than prev flu pandemics in 6 months.

World Health Organisation has stopped counting confirmed cases - many nations laboratories now overwhelmed.

focus no longer counting cases, but detecting sharp rises in death rates etc - signs of possible virus mutation.

with 1 million cases estimated US and 100,000 UK, doubling every week - EXPECT >100 million infections by December.

don't sound good at all :eek:

Death rate this one v low. But what about next one? Mutant viruses greater threat than global warming. One with the speed of Swine flu and danger of Sars cld kill 10s millns within 24 mths.

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
Fresh garlic, green tea, lots of vit c.

check (i can do almost 1 head every meal), check (3 cups a day), and check (fresh vegetable juice from the local caffee, best source)

but the ganja i'm not ready to cut out even if it's bad for the immune system.

swears

preppy-kei
Woman I work with off sick with this, everybody else seems OK, though.
Have plans for the weekend, so I hope I don't get it...

cobretti

[-] :: [-] ~ [-] :: [-]
My boss/owner of the company has contracted swine flu and is off for the week. Jammy bastard.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
check (i can do almost 1 head every meal), check (3 cups a day), and check (fresh vegetable juice from the local caffee, best source)

You mean 'clove' rather than 'head', right? Because otherwise that just doesn't bear thinking about...

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Well, the Doc got swine flu so he's on house confinement for two weeks; trying to get the Tamiflu has been a joke - there's two (legal) suppliers in South London, one chemist in New Cross and the other in Streatham. No wonder it's been spreading so fucking fast, people have to fucking travel halfway across the city to get their fucking antivirals. Beggars belief really.

nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag
Well, the Doc got swine flu so he's on house confinement for two weeks; trying to get the Tamiflu has been a joke - there's two (legal) suppliers in South London, one chemist in New Cross and the other in Streatham. No wonder it's been spreading so fucking fast, people have to fucking travel halfway across the city to get their fucking antivirals. Beggars belief really.

Sorry to hear that Sloane. :( Hopefully he has a good strong doctor's immune system from picking up hospital superstrains for years...

From what I've heard the meds won't do much anyway, so don't break your back trying to get em. The the Mexicans and Americans who've had it say that the meds don't alleviate the symptoms much.

nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag
Yes, I recommend echinacea instead. Keep it natural. Can't go wrong.

Everyone seems to be wearing these flu mask things here in Bangkok. The government is handing out 20 million of them free. Any worker exposed to the public pretty much has to wear one. Anyway, I was convinced I'd caught it yesterday when I developed a fever, went out with a guy on Friday who was sick, and they told him to stay off work for the week, suspecting the swine, so what else could I think?

Fortunately I'm getting an immense pain whenever I take a piss now, so it's probably actually something harmless like gonorrhea, thank god.

Kidney infection you need antibiotics.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Sorry to hear that Sloane. :( Hopefully he has a good strong doctor's immune system from picking up hospital superstrains for years...

From what I've heard the meds won't do much anyway, so don't break your back trying to get em. The the Mexicans and Americans who've had it say that the meds don't alleviate the symptoms much.

Yeah he's fine, just bored with being locked in the house. It's operating kinda like malaria rather than a flu - temperature rises twice a day during the afternoon, no obvious symptoms other than lethargy, and it's gone on forever, seven days now and still going.

Tamiflu just cuts a day off the illness apparently, and stops other drastic symptoms should they arise.

Careful about that if it is a kidney infection fourfiveone, they're really horrible if you don't nip them in the bud early.

zhao

there are no accidents
You mean 'clove' rather than 'head', right? Because otherwise that just doesn't bear thinking about...

well in america people say a head of garlic. as opposed to Gettin Some Head, which is either the act of receiving felatio, or a dope motherfucking track by Three Six Mafia.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
well in america people say a head of garlic. as opposed to Gettin Some Head, which is either the act of receiving felatio, or a dope motherfucking track by Three Six Mafia.

Sure, I wasn't thinking of oral sex (for once).

I just assumed you meant one clove of garlic:

clove-garlic_~900178.jpg

per meal, rather than one whole head/bulb of garlic:

garlic_bulb.jpg

per meal.

But if you really do mean putting almost a whole bulb of garlic in each meal then I take my hat off to you. From a respectful distance! :)

Also, I never head anything about weed being bad for the immune system, so I guess you can smoke away...think of it in mediaeval terms, like using the smoke of precious incense to drive away 'bad airs'. :cool:

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
oh Mr. Tea i absolutely mean an entire (or nearly entire) HEAD of garlic in one meal, usually what, 10 cloves or so? and RAW. i just peel them, and then i eat them. preferrably with Jiao Ze (chinese dumplings), but goes with pretty much anything salty.

i don't usually do this because i realize the smell is pretty crazy strong for the rest of the day, and makes my girlfriend wince a bit, but if it comes down to my health or not offending people on the tube, you know which one's got to GO! (last 3 words with chris rock accent)

but from what i know tobacco and the sensi both do deplete the body of vitamins, and break down the immune system... as does most recreational drugs and alcohol.