Swine Flu

BareBones

wheezy
is it more dangerous to contract swine flu if you're asthmatic (like me)?

because i've just been ignoring swine flu so far and happily thinking that i'll never get it, and if i do, it'll just be like having bad flu for a week. but if it's gonna like really fuck me up, i might start worrying about it more.

bassbeyondreason

Chtonic Fatigue Syndrome
I'm asthmatic and I just got over it no trouble.
It also wasn't anywhere NEAR as bad as regular flu (as in proper paralysis and delirium flu, not what people call bad colds). The side effects of Tamiflu sound remarkably similar to the actual symptoms (plus, according to the pharmaceutical directory, in rare cases it can cause fucking HEPATITIS!).

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
What happens to the UK's organic waste?

doner.jpg

nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag
nice one, thanks. back to not giving a shit then!

Technically, influenza of any type can kill you if you have a compromised immune system from asthma.

This is the reason my doctor has been giving me for why he wants me to get a flu shot every year anyway.

I'm getting the swine flu vaccine for $18 through my school in a couple of weeks. I'm going to take it. No reason not to, really. I've never had a reaction to other flu vaccines.

nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag
I'm asthmatic and I just got over it no trouble.
It also wasn't anywhere NEAR as bad as regular flu (as in proper paralysis and delirium flu, not what people call bad colds). The side effects of Tamiflu sound remarkably similar to the actual symptoms (plus, according to the pharmaceutical directory, in rare cases it can cause fucking HEPATITIS!).

I hate that, thanks to the media and the internet, people are subjected to all kinds of medical information that they don't know how to properly interpret...this is why doctors freak out about the anti-vacc brigade.

It's extremely rare to get hepatitis from tamiflu, and I'd suspect that in cases where this has happened, it's not altogether clear that the person in question wasn't an IV drug user anyway, or on several other medications (which can cause liver damage in combination), or there were other extenuating factors. Even if the drug can cause hepatitis in and of itself, this doesn't mean it does, or that the risk-benefit analysis you'd run would come back suggesting "nobody should ever take this." (Mind you, there are other reasons not to overprescribe antiretrovirals, but hepatitis is not one of them...)

I'm on two medications right now, both of which can technically in one in several million cases cause hepatitis. And guess what? I don't have it. My most recent blood work just came back and my liver enzymes were actually abnormally low, somehow. My doctor was puzzled, but said there's nothing to worry about unless they're high. (Then I told him I wasn't surprised, I've always known that I have a superhuman liver, and that's why I could do ten times as many drugs as everybody else and not be phased by it...)