Bragging rights - heroic events of immense kudos achieved before you lost your edge

Blackdown

nexKeysound
i once met benji bars on the tube.

actually i also met him on his bike. and in soho. ok ok so the last two are the same time. badman.

Leo

just remembered: my friend's cousin is married to lady di's divorce lawyer...which means i achieve six degrees of separation from the queen!!

juliand

mr. bungle and melt banana once had thanksgiving dinner at my house, though i couldn't be bothered to turn up

modest mouse and chumbawamba once came to my birthday party. my then-bandmate chased chumbawamba down the stairs with a blissfully trashed rendition of tubthumper

I saw blur play in front of thirty people in ithaca ny, when all they had out was "there's no other way"

the brilliant french canadian hardcore band one eyed god prophecy once slept on my floor after their show at epicenter. obscure maybe but much more mysterious and charged for me than any of the others. what an amazing band

Last edited:

ether

on a more musical note:

-a friend was in bat for lashes until recently, until she was kicked out for complaining about being fucked over. since she left they've started to sound like Phil Collins so i figure this is karma.

-another friend tells a good story about having to babysit jamie cullum whilst he was tripping on magic mushrooms in Dublin and him being coerced into playing piano in a random bar and all he could do was stare at his hands.

-my brother sold a house to Cristian Vogels parents.

Last edited:

wivvhoom

can't not

Karl Bartos was my professor at uni for a year

and

when I was little I was ice skating in Birmingham and Wolf from Gladiators turned up for a skate.

gumdrops

dissensians do move in rather rarefied circles dont they... ;)

oh i once shared a lift with target and a few other roll deepers (breeze i think and maybe manga, not sure now). target seemed to think he 'knew this brer' from somewhere...

alex

Do not read this.
slightly off topic, but did anyone see that video of d-double getting hotted, made to spit bars then robbed/hotted up..

STN

sou'wester
Oh right, music.

I once had to be physically restrained by a friend to prevent me from attacking Benga. I've met quite a lot of the dubstep crowd actually, but I guess that doesn't have much currency round here. Most of them have been utter wankers.

on the limited number of occasions I've met Benga, he was very nice. Certainly not someone I'd throw a notepad at anyway. Artwerk and I once passed a pleasant evening ridiculing people in a bar in Brixton. I had no idea who he was, and have never seen him before or since.

routes

we can delay.ay.ay...
i came out of a club once to get some air and there was tricky sat on his own rolling a huge smoke.. we ended up sat on that step for most of the night talking bout music and politics... i wonder how many people have this exact same story... ;)

I sold a bike to Steve Winwood
My dad says he auditioned for the Jimi Hendrix Experience and Jimmy Cliff's band - hmmmm
I was at what I think was the first White Stripes gig in London
Bought some pills off Billy Nasty
Felix Buxton was in the year above me at school
My mate gave Kurt Cobain a bottle of water at their Rock City gig in 1991
Shook Sven Vath's hand at Tribal Gathering in 1993. It was cold and smooth, like plastic.
Threw a bottle towards the Orb during a quiet bit at a show in Birmingham.
Found a switch on a console at the End which entirely filled the main room with dense smoke during a Dave Angel set.

alex

Do not read this.
Yeah I've seen it.

There's a Stomin one on a similar vibe that's 100 times worse as well.

haha, shit I forgot, stormin was at some girls house like last year just chilling with his boy, I came there for a drink & shit, ended up picking up a SHY benners off him..

oh well, he lives in the Y now, people see him in my ends all the time

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
Lol, why, what had he done?

He very brazenly tried to pick up my girlfriend, full well knowing she was my girlfriend. She snitched, I flipped.

On another note,

Once while sitting in the lobby of the Sanderson waiting on my Dad who was staying there on a visit, I witnessed Amy Winehouse punch her brother in the jaw and start quite an uproar involving what appeared to be most of the building's available security. The funniest part was when security started to take down the brother, screaming "Don't fucking touch me!", she joined in screaming "Don't fucking touch him!" as if they started it.

When my Dad and I left to go down the pub her bro was outside on a cell phone trying to get a lift home and sounding very pissed off indeed. It was alot.

Later that night this happened.

tom lea

saw Chris Eubank up london once, he honked from the cabin of an 18 wheeler & waved..

also saw that dark haired woman off of T4 in a resturant in LDN aswell, she wasnt happy to see us though..drunk & shouting, "your peng, your peng"
haha- i've witnessed the first. eubank's made a living out of that shit- isn't the numberplate just KO 1?

seen mikita, she didnt shout yr peng at me, she was just stumbling down bethnal green pissed as newt with lily allen.

my friends flatmate allegedly shagged her but that might be bollocks.