House 09!

mms

sometimes
oh yeah that dave aju guy is great, infact alot of stuff on that circus company label is very cool

http://www.myspace.com/daveaju

check be like the sun it's fantastic, big fat wileyish bassline and sun-ra ish chanting over well wonky drums, great.

zhao

there are no accidents
Yeah I really like this stuff on youtube.

oh lord do i need this remix:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

padro1982

Not so sure about the Bostro Pesopeo stuff, although 'Falls' is a good tune. That Lessins guy is quite interesting, quite a big debt to Bangalter/Roule but with a modern twist, but it sounds a bit unfinished and slapdash and maybe a bit hurried.

mms

sometimes
'That Lessins guy is quite interesting, quite a big debt to Bangalter/Roule but with a modern twist, but it sounds a bit unfinished and slapdash and maybe a bit hurried.

exactly i kinda like that, it brings a rough psychedelic feel, plus hes got good melodies, which hold the mess together.

zhao

there are no accidents
Can you imagine that pounding out on a decent system?

Somewhere dark, maybe a strobe or two?

Takes me away.

Here's some more MCDE.

i just read this interview of DJ Bones hating on MCDE. totally get where he's coming from, and some of the output is a bit cold and full of creepy mimicry, but sometimes it's simply impossible to hate.

Krasner

i just read this interview of DJ Bones hating on MCDE. totally get where he's coming from, and some of the output is a bit cold and full of creepy mimicry, but sometimes it's simply impossible to hate.

He's not hating on the music though. Just the way its presented to try and get some sort of stamp of 'authenticity'. With people like MCDE my gut reaction is always to shout 'you're from Germany you batty'.

UFO over easy

online mahjong
even with MCDE though can't help but feel the criticisms are a bit unfair. all you've got to go on is the name, it's a bit presumptuous to think you've got his motivations for making music totally sussed. if authenticity was such a concern he wouldn't be so open about the fact that he's from stuttgart. if anything the way he presents his music is sort of cartoony, even the name could be seen as a sort of self deprecating acknowledgment that he's not the 'realest' or whatever..

either way it's speculation

quite like his tunes, the most recent raw cuts is cool

on this tip the dj sneak release from last month is banging

Last edited:

Krasner

even with MCDE though can't help but feel the criticisms are a bit unfair. all you've got to go on is the name, it's a bit presumptuous to think you've got his motivations for making music totally sussed. if authenticity was such a concern he wouldn't be so open about the fact that he's from stuttgart. if anything the way he presents his music is sort of cartoony, even the name could be seen as a sort of self deprecating acknowledgment that he's not the 'realest' or whatever..

I do actually really like his track but It's not just the name. His artwork is full of American imagery and although there is a kitsch element this sort of thing always puts me on edge. But as you say we can only speculate as to what his intentions are and in any case he's by no means the worst offender for this kind of stuff. That Terry Lee Brown Jr. guy that DJ Bone mentions in the same interview is way worse.

zhao

there are no accidents
Authenticity is overrated.

sure but it just so happens that those real detroit rekkids will always sound that much better than the imitators.

all those moodyman joints man... and that new Andres. shit. no guy from stuttgart can touch em. they can get close, but they can't touch em.

and the same goes for a lotta other genres. i don't give a fuck about who is "authentic" and who isn't, don't give a fuck about where people come from. but the sound speaks for itself. the groove speaks for itself.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Anyone got some good house mixes? Any style, contemporary or not... though probably contemporary given the thread title :D

echevarian

babylon sister
I'm not saying that these MCDE tracks are completely original or anything, they're obviously indebted to older Moodymann (Small Black Church, I Feel Joy, etc,), they're just really well done. Its not like Kenny is some completely original auteur either, he's a sample based artist and he owes a lot to Ron Hardy and all the other house innovators. As for the name, Stuttgart is Germany's Motor City isn't it?

Isn't it a big manufacturing hub?

Whatever, the Detroit guys have an axe to grind about this stuff anyways.

Kenny Dixon Jr is possibly the worst when it comes to borderline racist statements about European guys trying to steal Detroit's Soul. I love the man's music, but I get so tired of an endless stream of middle aged cranky Detroit artists bitching about European house and techno. And then turning around and selling single sided 12"s to an almost exclusively European market at inflated costs. That Andres album was 20 minutes long, and its full price.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
and the same goes for a lotta other genres. i don't give a fuck about who is "authentic" and who isn't, don't give a fuck about where people come from. but the sound speaks for itself. the groove speaks for itself.

none of that actually means anything tho. it's all subjective. there are lots of great Detroit (or wherever, as the genre goes) records of course but it's not b/c they have some mystical power which records from Germany (or wherever) lack. in a club, with tracks you'd never heard before, you wouldn't be able to pick out which ones were from where. nor would anyone else.

also, to add to what scarboi said - if the MCDE dude was black & from Detroit, would it then be OK for him to make Moodymann ripoffs/homage? I understand the gripes that dudes like KDJ & DJ Bone have, but I reckon they hurt their own cause by being so proprietary (as well as w/all the ridiculous limited edition single side 12"s - alright that's how you make your $$$, but you can't have your cake & eat it too).

Last edited:

echevarian

babylon sister
I'd like to make it clear that I am 100% behind Detroit artists getting paid for what they do.

I've got a ton of respect for what guys like Mad Mike, Theo Parrish, Omar S and all the Drexciyan DJs are doing.

I just get annoyed with the rhetoric sometimes.

And I'm not huge into the majority of German deep house at the moment, so it feels weird defending it.