DRMHCP

The way Americans use the term New Wave to describe ANY music post about 1975 with slightly shorter hair than the Eagles.

I mean no-one in Britain (where a lot of the stuff they mean obviously comes from) has used the term seriously since about 1978 and to me it has nasty connotations of watered down guitar music with skinny ties etc... the kind of music old school 70s Radio 1 djs back then said they liked to show "yes some of these punk (sic) musicians really can play".

It really pisses me off to go on wikipedia and see some of the favourite music from my early youth eg synthpop/other early-ish electronic music etc being categorised with some of my least favourite stuff ie canonical rock shite like Elvis Costello or Squeeze or something.

Martin Dust

Techno Zen Master
People in supermarkets that seem to walk about like fucking zombies or think it's a day out. I don't go very often and now I know why.

People in queues who stand slightly next to you instead of behind you, try and edge past you at the airport.

People in supermarkets who pile up their shopping really high on the conveyor belt as if that will somehow help them get out of the shop faster (and the ones behind me who get upset when I am leisurely even though the bottleneck is at the cashier, not at the unloading stage)

OK that one was really pathetic of me maybe.......

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
People who just don't have the foggiest conecpt of queueing. In my experience this includes the entire population of Germany.

The spelling of the word 'queueing'.

Martin Dust

Techno Zen Master
People in queues who stand slightly next to you instead of behind you, try and edge past you at the airport.

That one is a classic, had that done to me loads at check in...

People in supermarkets who pile up their shopping really high on the conveyor belt as if that will somehow help them get out of the shop faster (and the ones behind me who get upset when I am leisurely even though the bottleneck is at the cashier, not at the unloading stage)

OK that one was really pathetic of me maybe.......

Supermarkets full stop, I really, really hate them.

Martin Dust

Techno Zen Master
People who just don't have the foggiest conecpt of queueing. In my experience this includes the entire population of Germany.

The spelling of the word 'queueing'.

I'll trump that with Italians in a coffee shop in the morning ;) He who shouts loudest is the excepted norm...

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Supermarkets full stop, I really, really hate them.

Yeah, all those good-quality food and grocery items, conveniently assembled in one big, clean, neatly laid-out shop...it's enough to make one's blood boil. ;)

(I kind of know what you mean, though.)

Martin Dust

Techno Zen Master
Yeah, all those good-quality food and grocery items, conveniently assembled in one big, clean, neatly laid-out shop...it's enough to make one's blood boil. ;)

(I kind of know what you mean, though.)

I don't really get any pleasure from shopping and the way people are in supermarkets makes my blood boil very quickly, which is the reason why I've only ever been in on 4 or 5 times. It's not logical/rational but 5 minutes in Meadow Hall will have me over for a full day.

I don't think theres any pleasure to be had from shopping in a supermarket is there? It's just one of those things you have to do like you go to the post office to post a letter or go to the bank to sort out money.

I find the worst thing about it is Asda FM in my local Asda, some hospital radio type yakking on about celebrity gossip and special offers on bacon between james blunt tunes.

Martin Dust

Techno Zen Master
I don't think theres any pleasure to be had from shopping in a supermarket is there? It's just one of those things you have to do like you go to the post office to post a letter or go to the bank to sort out money.

I find the worst thing about it is Asda FM in my local Asda, some hospital radio type yakking on about celebrity gossip and special offers on bacon between james blunt tunes.

I like the post office :) The feeling for me is like the odd day when you are working around town and people don't recognise your space, dumping into you, walking slow in front of you etc. It properly bends my fucking head. I also forget loads of stuff and always manage to buy things that only have one due day to there sell by date. Shopping in supermarkets for me should very much stay meta.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
At airports when they announce boarding as embarkation, twats :)

Ooh, another transport one - I hate being called a 'customer' rather than a 'passenger' when using the Tube or bus. Really bugs me, that one. Oddly enough, I've found that when flying - in which case, you are most definitely a customer, perhaps to the tune of several hundred quid - you get called a passenger.

The 'embarkation' thing is, I think, just another example of people in dull service jobs trying to make mundane announcements sound more exciting or important by using unnecessarily long words or phrasing. You get this on trains a lot: "The buffet, which is located in carriage C..." - why not just "..which is in carriage C.."?

Martin Dust

Techno Zen Master
The 'embarkation' thing is, I think, just another example of people in dull service jobs trying to make mundane announcements sound more exciting or important by using unnecessarily long words or phrasing. You get this on trains a lot: "The buffet, which is located in carriage C..." - why not just "..which is in carriage C.."?

I know, sounds even worse in northern accent - EM-BARK-ATION [shakes head]

dominic

Beast of Burden
I disagree, I think the way most people (mis)use the phrase is as if to imply that the rule is somehow un-'proven' until an exception is found - after which it is 'proven'. Which is obviously nonsense!

Rules, as I understand them, don't have exceptions. 'Rules of thumb' and 'guidelines' have exceptions.

in law, which perhaps differs here from science, the exception modifies the rule

dominic

Beast of Burden
groups of three or four people who take up the entire width of the sidewalk, i.e., walking four abreast or shoulder-to-shoulder, such that it's a serious hassle to pass them by

OldRottenhat

Answering machine messages which say "You have reached...."

Obviously I haven't reached them or I wouldn't be hearing this bloody message.