Page 51 of 58 FirstFirst ... 414950515253 ... LastLast

Thread: Beer And Beer Drinking

Yeah that's v true.

I never know what to order in an English pub. if I'm not in a craft beer place, what should I be drinking? give me some recommendations on what to get at a wetherspoons.

You can get some decent stuff at wetherspoons, though it might be in bottles. They usually have fairly good ipas. Definitely far from the worst pubs, and sometimes much much better than that. Just dont ask for a baltic porter
    Last edited by baboon2004; 24-02-2020 at 06:47 AM.

you can order the mumford and sons ipa maybe?

ďI would say that the angriest critiques I get from people about shows are when Iím drinking whatever convenient cold beer is available in a particular place, and not drinking the best beer out there. You know, I havenít made the effort to walk down the street 10 blocks to the microbrewery where theyíre making some fucking Mumford and Sons IPA. People get all bent about it. But look, I like cold beer. And I like to have a good time. If you bring me a really good one, a good craft beer, I will enjoy it, and say so. But Iím not gonna analyse it. I was in San Francisco and I was desperate for a beer, and I walked into this place I thought it was an old bar. And I sat down and I looked up and I noticed there was a wide selection of beers Iíd never heard of. Which is fine. OK, Iím in some sort of brew pub. Whatís good? But I looked around: the entire place was filled with people sitting there with five small glasses in front of them, filled with different beers, taking notes. This is not a bar. This is fucking Invasion of the Body Snatchers. This is wrong. This is not what a bar is about. A bar is to go to to get a little bit buzzed, and pleasantly derange the senses, and have a good time and interact with other people or make bad decisions or feel bad about your life. Itís not to sit there fucking analysing beer. Itís antithetical.Ē

I don't take notes, but I'm not beyond 'tastings' on occasion. A la the Pepsi sip test, flight tasting favour sip beers over gulp beers - some beers need 4cl at least to really get to know them.

But the thing is, tasting lots of different beers will actually get you drunk quicker.

Re: wetherspoons - the guest cask ales are mostly a bit meh, but they sometimes have something good on. I think it does matter who's running the place as some give a shit more than others. If it's got a Cask Marque certification is probably a tell. Otherwise the cans/bottles are probably the safest best if you like the IPA style - Bengali is very fruity but very decent. Though Punk is usually on tap and included in the meal deals if an actual pint is what you want - it's known for being a bit inconsistent but it's not going to be terrible.

why do most 'ordinary' pubs still have no dark beer available on tap? I went to supposedly the 'best' pub in Birmingham the other night (it's actually about the 25th best of even the ones I've been to - I can only presume some bizarre bourgeois fetish is at work in this designation), and there were 16 taps and almost nothing but lager and ipa...wtf

Basically it's the obvious answer. Large proportions of British people - including people who are "into beer" - won't buy dark beer under any circumstances, so it doesn't sell.

I've never understood why this is - like, do these people not like coffee or chocolate, and how come Guinness is so popular - but there it is.
    Last edited by Slothrop; 26-02-2020 at 10:37 AM.

TBH if there's one widely applicable thing that I've got from being geeky about beer and beer culture, it's a visceral feel for how little peoples' buying patterns have to do with the objective properties of the things that they're buying.

Yeah, I say that often with food and restaurants, so it makes sense that it applies to drink too. So many mediocre restaurants are the subject of insane amounts of praise.

It is quite perplexing, given the quality of much of the stout and porter available nowadays. And of course Guinness is just about the least impressive of stouts (tho the West Indian porter is decent)

This is wild speculation, but if you're a bar you want people to take that 'third pint' and I'm guessing there's BI or whatever to suggest that this is less likely when someone consumes a dark beer.

Quote Originally Posted by comelately View Post

Re: wetherspoons - the guest cask ales are mostly a bit meh, but they sometimes have something good on. I think it does matter who's running the place as some give a shit more than others. If it's got a Cask Marque certification is probably a tell. Otherwise the cans/bottles are probably the safest best if you like the IPA style - Bengali is very fruity but very decent. Though Punk is usually on tap and included in the meal deals if an actual pint is what you want - it's known for being a bit inconsistent but it's not going to be terrible.
    My point about wetherspoons was more that the pub is not primarily a place you go to drink delicious beer. It is a point of contact between people, a communal space, a secular church and drunkeness is the sacrament.

Leo asked a specific question about what to get in Spoons tho.

Did he. I never pay attention to him!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

Leo

Quote Originally Posted by comelately View Post
    This is wild speculation, but if you're a bar you want people to take that 'third pint' and I'm guessing there's BI or whatever to suggest that this is less likely when someone consumes a dark beer.
    Yeah, of course that does make a lot of sense for pubs that rely upon alcohol sales alone for revenue. But in trendy places that serve food too and have shedloads of taps, it does seem a bit weird in 2020.
    You could always jack the price up to compensate, as well

Anyways, I'm going to a Thornbridge pub tongiht, so hopefully they won't follow suit