Page 187 of 565 FirstFirst ... 87137177185186187188189197237287 ... LastLast
Results 2,791 to 2,805 of 8471

Thread: Funky/London/UK House

  1. #2791
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    2,212

    Default

    Ice Rink remix is about. Two versions - one vocal, one instrumental that's basically a massive latin percussion work out.

    I tried to make them really generic uk funky but they've veered off a bit. Still good though. I think Paul Gilroy is expressing the widely-held critique of post-funk music, that it tends to compress the swing, anticipation and drop of funky into one or two bar phrases at relatively high (>100bpm) tempos, rather than in pure funk's four bar langour. People have been complaining about this since disco took hold. It's a fair point, but Funky still sounds funky to me.

    BTW, 70/140bpm halfstep has great potential for the funk, keeping it on the one and dropping the bomb, as people like Joker have made clear.
    paul.meme
    Out now: Move Down Low VIP on SOUL JAZZ Records SJR225-12
    Out now: Blackdown & Dusk Meet Grievous Angel Uptown: Margins Music Redux (Keysound LDN014)
    Out now: Soundclash1 Remix / Harpy (Keysound LDN011)
    Out now: Ice Rink Refix (Devotional Dubz ERZULIE03)
    Out soon: WOOFAH 4!
    http://blog.grievousangel.net/ | http://www.myspace.com/grievousangelsoundsystem

  2. #2792
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    699

    Default

    my problem with gilroy's thing about 'funk' in funky is that it's such a widely used word, to mean so many different things to different people, that it seems ridiculous to start making claims that something does or doesn't have it. there are many more interesting things to say about funky than this.

    and yeah the soca/unlistenable/small island rapture comment is weird as well. his other stuff is interesting though, like the african majority thing. someone told me recently that 1 in 8 'black' people (not quite sure the definition of black in this context) in the world is nigerian (also not sure if this means they live in nigeria or were born there or are of nigerian descent, but there's what, 160m people there?) which was interestingly large.

  3. #2793
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,615

    Default

    hi grevious angel, is there anywhere i can pick up the ice rink remix??

  4. #2794
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,731

    Default



    See the above clip ^
    I secretly hope that UK Funky producers put more acid and detroit influences in the music rather than the trend towards jamaican/africanism.

  5. #2795

    Default gilroy speaks

    I didn't mean to recycle anti-disco heresies but rather to point out that the issues of swing, syncopation and what I call "generic thump thump" electronica do correspond directly to the conceptual and critical problems that arise when the racialised attributes of musical styles are articulated.

    What is disco? Are Chic funky, is Sharon Redd, are The System, Ian Levine and the South Shore Commission? These questions aren't very interesting. But the problems involved in finding, using, claiming and loving the black in this music are, as this thread reveals, still alive.

    Some folks love the blackness they hear but aren't quite so keen on the company of the people whose being invests that quality in the music. This matters as we (hopefully) shift towards a post-exotic relationship with black culture.

    Above all, I wanted to highlight the evolving and unstable character of contemporary Britain's (europe's) black communities. Ethiopianism is still there but it is residual. Another, postcolonial Africa is emergent. Does unfunky, funky herald its becoming? probably.

  6. #2796

    Default

    Roska B2B Fingaprint on Rinse in about ten minutes. Nice for the drive home I reckon.

  7. #2797

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by slackk View Post
    Roska B2B Fingaprint on Rinse in about ten minutes. Nice for the drive home I reckon.
    thankyou. 2nd half now i hope. .
    nobodydancenomore

    college girls with coursework, ugly or worse

  8. #2798

    Default

    SAMI ATACKED, CURRENTLY IN A COMA!
    IMPORTANT!!!!!!!!!!
    DJ SAMI SANCHEZ WAS ATTACKED BY 7 COWARDS THIS BANK HOLIDAY SUNDAY/MONDAY MORN, OUT SIDE SE1 CLUB IN LONDON BRIDGE AFTER HAVING PLAYED A SET THERE.... HE IS CURRENTLY IN CRITICAL CONDITION AND IN COMA..... PLS PLS PLS ANYONE WHO MAY HAVE SEEN ANYTHING ANY SMALL DETAIL CAN MAKE I HUGE DIFFERENCE, IN CATCHING THE COWARDS THAT DID THIS.... PLS CONTACT PC JOSEPH ON 07500918977......
    ANY ONE WHO KNOWS SAMI, WILL KNOW HE IS A FUN LOVING ENERGETIC CHARACTER ,AND HAS NO PROBLEMS WITH NOONE... SO PLS COME FOWARD WITH ANY INFO, SILENCE SHOULD NEVER BE A CHOICE, WHEN A LIFE IS AT STAKE.........

    SILENCE IS THE REASON SO MANY PEOPLE GET AWAY WITH THIS SHIT, DESTROYING LIVES AND THE HEARTS OF FAMILIES AND FRIENDS ALONG THE WAY... ITS TIME TO STAND UP AND COME FOWARD!!

    http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?f...ogId=487340570
    nobodydancenomore

    college girls with coursework, ugly or worse

  9. #2799
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    710

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Algierstwin View Post
    SAMI ATACKED, CURRENTLY IN A COMA!
    IMPORTANT!!!!!!!!!!
    DJ SAMI SANCHEZ WAS ATTACKED BY 7 COWARDS THIS BANK HOLIDAY SUNDAY/MONDAY MORN, OUT SIDE SE1 CLUB IN LONDON BRIDGE AFTER HAVING PLAYED A SET THERE.... HE IS CURRENTLY IN CRITICAL CONDITION AND IN COMA..... PLS PLS PLS ANYONE WHO MAY HAVE SEEN ANYTHING ANY SMALL DETAIL CAN MAKE I HUGE DIFFERENCE, IN CATCHING THE COWARDS THAT DID THIS.... PLS CONTACT PC JOSEPH ON 07500918977......
    ANY ONE WHO KNOWS SAMI, WILL KNOW HE IS A FUN LOVING ENERGETIC CHARACTER ,AND HAS NO PROBLEMS WITH NOONE... SO PLS COME FOWARD WITH ANY INFO, SILENCE SHOULD NEVER BE A CHOICE, WHEN A LIFE IS AT STAKE.........

    SILENCE IS THE REASON SO MANY PEOPLE GET AWAY WITH THIS SHIT, DESTROYING LIVES AND THE HEARTS OF FAMILIES AND FRIENDS ALONG THE WAY... ITS TIME TO STAND UP AND COME FOWARD!!

    http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?f...ogId=487340570

    fuck that

  10. #2800

    Default

    Marcus B2B Mak10 now. Although that seems a bit irrelevant after reading that.

    Is there a worse song than the Love Lockdown cover, by the way?

  11. #2801
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,731

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by slackk View Post
    Marcus B2B Mak10 now.
    Show is bumpin' right now

  12. #2802
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    718

    Default

    No way the "Love Lockdown" cover is fabulous, one of my favourite things that DJ Naughty has done.

    Awful news about Sami Sanchez, some of his funky productions recently have been excellent. Doesn't he do the one with the stiff descending horn riffs and then the beat that's a bit like "Gabryelle Refix"?

  13. #2803

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bungatuffie View Post
    I didn't mean to recycle anti-disco heresies but rather to point out that the issues of swing, syncopation and what I call "generic thump thump" electronica do correspond directly to the conceptual and critical problems that arise when the racialised attributes of musical styles are articulated.

    What is disco? Are Chic funky, is Sharon Redd, are The System, Ian Levine and the South Shore Commission? These questions aren't very interesting. But the problems involved in finding, using, claiming and loving the black in this music are, as this thread reveals, still alive.

    Some folks love the blackness they hear but aren't quite so keen on the company of the people whose being invests that quality in the music. This matters as we (hopefully) shift towards a post-exotic relationship with black culture.

    Above all, I wanted to highlight the evolving and unstable character of contemporary Britain's (europe's) black communities. Ethiopianism is still there but it is residual. Another, postcolonial Africa is emergent. Does unfunky, funky herald its becoming? probably.
    i have to say i find this all very compelling. funk vs funkiness.

    surely the raw funk that uk funky lacks, it makes it up in groove and rawness?

    which is still something that is essentially 'funk' in its essence?

    it is very hard to draw boundaries, no?

    these days something can be funky but it can still lack funk (?)

    it's largely a question of meaning i guess.

    but these are huge differences still. funkiness has become a fairly disposable notion and one that is seldom self applied.

    something that defined funkiness in retrospect, was self awareness.

    that knowing that you are funky.

    at least this was part of the concept/product/rhetoric i've picked up on via clinton et al

    no one in uk funky is saying this.

    and here comes the house connection: talking about disco>funk>beyond etc. when house came in things got unfunked. things became 'funky'. it become a quality rather than some core concept. totally nebulous still, which undermines everything but still, removed from its essence.

    surely funk has to be a rarefied thing

    i'm not sure if it was george clinton who first came up with it or not. but the notion of unadulterated funk: 'uncut' funk vs the implied diluted funk.

    surely this is key here. funk has had several musical decades on it now as wholesale genre and i don't think anything can replicate 70s or even 80s funk but what we have now is cut. Cut with a variety of different sounds.

    Thinking about uk funky especially, it's been filtered through uk dance music culture. acid house > ardcore > jungle > dnb > grime / dubstep etc

    it is funk passed through years and generations. cut with influences and other, perhaps 'unfunky', ideas.

    your other points about black fetishism and moving towards a post-exotic relationship with black culture are fascinating as well. but i feel that's a wider point. something which can be levelled at music culture generally, rather than talking about this specific issue. but the awareness of the fact we're are moving through something post pan-atlantic and that african voices are now being heard is great and crucial. but are you saying integration is an issue here?

    the white enjoyment / cultural exploitation of 'black music' is nothing new.

    anyway I'm sorry if i'm missing the point which, i think i might be. but i think you can still make a connection between funk and uk funky.

  14. #2804
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    2,212

    Default

    yeah, i guess the mistake is to say that in order for the adjective "funky" to be valid, the verb "funk" must be invoked as well.

    ashes to ashes, funk to funky...
    paul.meme
    Out now: Move Down Low VIP on SOUL JAZZ Records SJR225-12
    Out now: Blackdown & Dusk Meet Grievous Angel Uptown: Margins Music Redux (Keysound LDN014)
    Out now: Soundclash1 Remix / Harpy (Keysound LDN011)
    Out now: Ice Rink Refix (Devotional Dubz ERZULIE03)
    Out soon: WOOFAH 4!
    http://blog.grievousangel.net/ | http://www.myspace.com/grievousangelsoundsystem

  15. #2805

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grievous Angel View Post
    yeah, i guess the mistake is to say that in order for the adjective "funky" to be valid, the verb "funk" must be invoked as well.

    ashes to ashes, funk to funky...
    it's just that the adjective and the verb are so involved.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •