mms

sometimes
helping a lot of 2nd and 3rd gen Africans (especially those from the motherland) to feel proud about themselves or even finally relate to back home (those from the islands) cos the music is a tempo in which traditional musics can work in so it’s like ‘oh I fit in. it’s cool (as in cool not cool bless)’. that’s ridiculous in itself but lets not get into that

i had couple africans come up to me when i've played a bit of funky out, with township funk mixed in etc, at bars ( it's a bit slower the south african stuff) and stand near the decks going 'this is african music!'
on another note a lass i work with who's from ghana goes to the african clubs in dalston, thats the spot for modern highlife etc.

i heard the sami thing was just a kicking tbh, heartless ppl.

Yeah apparently he just got jumped by a crew of lads. Cunts, really.

I'd really like to hear a good set mixing the african side of things alongside some funky. That one a lot earlier in the thread was good but the mixing was a bit too jumpy for me to really get into I think.
mms, let me know next time you're doing something like that?

(or if you've got any mp3s you could bang forward).

Quite a lot of new 12"s out this week- couple from Invasion, a Dubplate Wonder, Dark Knight... all kinds. Geiom promos in Uptown as well.

Last edited:
well

i had couple africans come up to me when i've played a bit of funky out, with township funk mixed in etc, at bars ( it's a bit slower the south african stuff) and stand near the decks going 'this is african music!'
on another note a lass i work with who's from ghana goes to the african clubs in dalston, thats the spot for modern highlife etc

it is! well some of it…

but the 'self-othering' is still a big problem. it’s a shame really

i heard the sami thing was just a kicking tbh, heartless ppl.

wastegoonage

mms

sometimes
Yeah apparently he just got jumped by a crew of lads. Cunts, really.

I'd really like to hear a good set mixing the african side of things alongside some funky. That one a lot earlier in the thread was good but the mixing was a bit too jumpy for me to really get into I think.
mms, let me know next time you're doing something like that?

(or if you've got any mp3s you could bang forward).

Quite a lot of new 12"s out this week- couple from Invasion, a Dubplate Wonder, Dark Knight... all kinds.

oh it was just a bit of djing in a bar, big chill bar incidentally, i should really start doing mixes, i'm slack when it comes to djing don't do it often enough, but i mixed up that and old bleep and bass and garage, it was fun i got everyone dancing, they thought it was all garage.

yeah i'm email friends with spoek who did that mix, he sends them thru occasionally i'll update y'all

one of the most interesting tracks i've heard recently is on the comeme label by a mexican guy called robedello he's mexican and he's done a kinda funky track with a latin feel, its very interesting that the label comeme he's on is tracking the relationship between africa and south america in a way, the southern hemisphere, interesting cos we brits and americans don't often think about it.

Not to mention the Caribbean both politically and culturally, don't trinidadians now learn spanish at school instead of english, that's quite significant i think.

People forget that there is also a large latin american population in london too now, i wonder if sami sanchez comes from that background, but there are quite a few places with dedicated latin nights, and not in the 'isn't bossa so cosmopolitan' way.

Last edited:

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
but the 'self-othering' is still a big problem. it’s a shame really

Do you mean by this that you think African immigrants and their descendents should be integrating themselves into the London/British culture more strongly, including via their music? '
Cause I think that's one of the cool things about funky at the moment, the way that it combines elements from non-Britsh (Soca and African house and pop) and British (grime and broken beat) musical styles, and uses them on quite an equal footing, without any of them seeming to own or dominate the others. Though admittedly I know much less about contemporary African music than I do about Soca and other Carribean styles, so I may be misjudging this.

what I basically mean by ‘self-othering’ is that

instead of looking at self and being proud regardless they are needing things like the music to do so cos ‘now its cool’ and its something to be proud of…like ‘that’s me I’ve contributed to something’

as much as that is good it’s a par cos your not looking at yourself…your looking at yourself through something – you get me?

so like our accents used to be a joke ting especially to ourselves…but stuff like ‘Congo Jam’ now make it ok

I’m not inculding myself in any of this. I love me and my people standard

oh yeah - is that an actual Funky version of 'Ice Rink'...like Wiley 'Ice Rink'?

mms

sometimes
instead of looking at self and being proud regardless they are needing things like the music to do so cos ‘now its cool’ and its something to be proud of…like ‘that’s me I’ve contributed to something’

as much as that is good it’s a par cos your not looking at yourself…your looking at yourself through something – you get me?

so like our accents used to be a joke ting especially to ourselves…but stuff like ‘Congo Jam’ now make it ok

oh yeah - is that an actual Funky version of 'Ice Rink'...like Wiley 'Ice Rink'?

well music is strange, you know from oh carolina in jamaica in the 50's, getting the british all upset with it's nyabingi drums, to salsoul orchestra and early disco carrying santiera, to the relationship between rhumba in congo and cuba, music can create a sense of arrival at a place or a relationship.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Not to mention the Caribbean both politically and culturally, don't trinidadians now learn spanish at school instead of english, that's quite significant i think.

People forget that there is also a large latin american population in london too now, i wonder if sami sanchez comes from that background, but there are quite a few places with dedicated latin nights, and not in the 'isn't bossa so cosmopolitan' way.

Trinidadians learn both, from what I've heard.

Yeah, huge latin populations roundabout Elephant and Brixton, to name but two. A lot of Colombians in particular, from what I understand (not much, prob!). Lots of reggaeton, naturally...

I guess so

well music is strange, you know from oh carolina in jamaica in the 50's, getting the british all upset with it's nyabingi drums, to salsoul orchestra and early disco carrying santiera, to the relationship between rhumba in congo and cuba, music can create a sense of arrival at a place or a relationship.

but I’m talking about 2nd, 3rd...maybe even 4th generation youngers/youngsters not off the plane peeps

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal

Thanks Tactics, that was really interesting to read, and a good attitude to have on your part.
I find this difficult to comment on, because (a) from up here I can't really observe the scene evolving on a first-hand basis, so I can't be 100% certain about the people involved, in terms of producers, audience, promoters etc. I just have to go on what I hear through sites like this, and (b) as stated before, I am very far from an expert on modern African music. So there's a great risk of me talking out of my arse here, but:
It does seem to me that the Afro influence in funky often has less to do with specific current styles of African pop/house/techno etc, and more to do with a generic idea of 'African-sounding' music that has sort of built up in people's imaginations over a long time. (And I would include in this some tracks that I really love, like Inflation and African Warrior, so I'm not dissing it on a musical level, but culturally it's prob not the best way forward). So if people from the African diaspora over here are identifying with it and getting kudos out of it, then I think you're right to say that they're associating themselves with a distant, maybe cliched idea of Africa that they can't own themselves and maybe can't really contribute to. (This is one of the reasons I'm glad that the Soca thing is an equally if not more important factor at play, because there we have a very specific cultural exchange going on).
What I would like to see is funky draw more on specific, contemporary African sounds. Not only would this be musically really interesting, but it would provide a way for Africans and people of African descent to enter the scene as producers etc, drawing on music they know closely and that is a genuine cultural expression of their current experience. Again, for all I know in my position of relative ignorance, this could already be happening. I think Kwaito could be a style that integrates well with funky, as it has already evolved to be quite housey in its indigenous form.

Once again, I should say that these are all very tentative thoughts on my part.

Ory

warp drive
listening to the cooly g mix now. that first tune "weekend fly" is so junglistic, the way the drumz are cut up..