Rinse FM Going Legit

Sectionfive

bandwagon house
The law cant really be after them seriously at all though can they ?
Its not like any of the people involved are hard to track down.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
i also don't quite get the pirate=not commercial / legal=commercial thing. it's already a commercial organisation, run for (though not solely) for profit

see below:

Cos I've just assumed they were stupidly naive in seeking a proper [licence], when we all know that the ofcom rent could not be paid from the type of adverts it's current format attracts.

and they start worrying about advertising revenue and how many people are listening. Which leads inexorably to putting stuff on that a lot of people might listen to, so you can attract more advertisers.

Also, I've heard Geeneus is becoming very involved in the content of Rinse FM recently, telling funky DJs (Marcus Nasty specifically) off for playing harder styles during the daytime hours

Last edited:
I'm surprised they are currently a profit seeking/making enterprise. Their only income is from subs & adverts and I would have thought that after buying equipment the pure profit left over would b scottish football association.

Radio stations pursuing a profit shouldnt be a terrible thing in theory. There is less incentive for a legal rinse to water down its musical policy- is their enough demand or need for 'another kiss'? Because if they did this they would only lose many of their current listeners. And there is clearly an untapped demand for what they currently do.

However with the millions of pounds it takes to run an ordinary station the sums are so big that there's no chance of them financing themselves to that tune with a raw dance music playlist. This need to come up with ridiculous amounts of cash virtually kills off any chance of a legal station playing underground music. Hence the way airwaves are outside London's pirate heartland. Is Kiss Britains' only dance music station?

evanbbb

Tumbling Dice
I'm signing it for no other reason than they asked. They've given me years of free enjoyment and I shouldn't hold them back in their desire to move in a certain direction ( i.e. by not signing in protest). If they want to go all kissFM, fine. If they continue to push forward thinking music, awesome. They've done enough to choose their own way.

mms

sometimes
god so cynical, and the whole attitude that basically boils down to ' why do they want to make any money for working hard an promoting their station' stinks frankly,work it's an incredible station and has been for years, they could have 'sold it out a long time ago but they haven't they've produced something that works well, so don't run em down for wanting to not get chased by the cops anymore. also the criteria you need to qualify as a community radio station is very different from that of something like kiss fm.

IanTheM

Tame Horse
Also, I've heard Geeneus is becoming very involved in the content of Rinse FM recently, telling funky DJs (Marcus Nasty specifically) off for playing harder styles during the daytime hours?

It's Geeneus that got Funky playing at Rinse in the first place.

IanTheM

Tame Horse
god so cynical, and the whole attitude that basically boils down to ' why do they want to make any money for working hard an promoting their station' stinks frankly,work it's an incredible station and has been for years, they could have 'sold it out a long time ago but they haven't they've produced something that works well, so don't run em down for wanting to not get chased by the cops anymore. also the criteria you need to qualify as a community radio station is very different from that of something like kiss fm.

I'd kind of put my faith in the owner, I mean hes gone this long without giving up or selling out, the place is his life and I doubt he's looking for an easy way out (by selling the licence/going pop) now.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
also the criteria you need to qualify as a community radio station is very different from that of something like kiss fm.

Yeah, I'm fully conceding to that. I am interested in exactly how though, which no one yet has explained. I'm not really trying to be as cynical as it might seem either. I have enormous amounts of respect for Rinse FM, and though I haven't agreed with everything they've done over the years, when I take even my qualms with them in there still isn't anyone who has come close to even remotely providing the incredible service that they have. I also don't deny anyone involved with Rinse FM (especially not those who have laboured to keep it alive) any due compensation or extended levels of success. Any perceivable skepticism is coming only from my fear that an institution that I love will become something very different (i.e worse) as a result of these changes, whether by intent of the owners or not.

And my feeling is that it is inevitable that it will, especially considering the effects the intentions of stations like Kiss FM and 1xtra have had on their actual content in practice.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Yeah, I'm fully conceding to that. I am interested in exactly how though, which no one yet has explained. .

As far as I understand, a community radio license is one which means that you operate as a 'pirate', i.e in this case they way they did before, but legally and not for profit. There are tenders every year for people to put into the 'lottery' whereby stations can win legal status, providing they can show that they are catering for a community which they think isn't otherwise catered for.

Community radio stations are subject to OFCOM guidelines and are operated as a charity or as a ltd company.

Um I think that's right. So it means that as a community station they can do what they did before but without the risk of having their equipment seized. They also have to pay PRS and a license fee every year, which is quite a lot of money, hence you sometimes find slow shifts in advertising etc as time goes on.

ResonanceFM operates as a community station, and just look at its scheduling. Not exactly Fearne Cotton.

Rinse will need this petition signed by as many people as possible to go legal, to prove to the powers that be that they have a niche market who would be adversely effected should they shut, demographics and all that.

Last edited:

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
I also don't think there's anything cynical or skeptical about not trusting people you've never met who run a pirate radio station, club nights and a record label, one would be stupid to trust them implicitly in fact, it's naive to think otherwise.

luka

is choice a community station?
i always liked deja much more than rinse. dunno what its been like in the last 3 years though. rinse are worth having around though.

mms

sometimes
I also don't think there's anything cynical or skeptical about not trusting people you've never met who run a pirate radio station, club nights and a record label, one would be stupid to trust them implicitly in fact, it's naive to think otherwise.

they're done it all well for over 10 years and are publically quit honest.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
whatever they decide to do, and however they decide to do it, someone out there will replace whatever might be lost from Rinse - I have faith in that. Surely the culture is deeply ingrained enough for that to be true - I mean, lots of the radio sets reference on these pages come from pirates other than Rinse. no? And if marcus nasty or whoever gets pissed off with being told what to play, he'll just move, as will all the talent, and then someone else will have a great roster.

and their club nights which are imagine are very lucrative indeed.

I didn't include them as income as these nights would draw a crowd without the Rinse name anyway, albeit with less people. Anyway I thought pirates made their money from selling heroin on the dancefloors of R&B nights, that's what the Sunday Times said.

Do the community licences really cost that much? There's one or 2 in Belfast that only last a fortnight a year, maybe that's why. Incidentally there's an all year round irish language station that's been running ilegally for years. I think they applied for legal status but the DTI were too lazy/bureaucratic to grant them it, and are scared of the bad publicity if they shut it down.

alex

Do not read this.
ez guys, sorry to sound like an incompetent & misinformed idiot. But what is the diff between a Community License and say, a regular license? Is it just the area they can broadcast in/reach?