IdleRich

IdleRich
Private Eye - an easy one but always happy to take the piss out of Truss. It needs to be done every now and again whenever she claims she was a successful prime minister.

IMG_20230819_075753.jpg

mixed_biscuits

The excoriation of Liz Truss was misogyny pure and simple: any woman who dares to act strongly and independently rather than just mouth a slogan is punished severely. An independent person is liable to come up with ideas with which you may not agree - that's the whole point. Truss' ideas were hardly tried and her ousting was motivated almost solely by appeals to flouted conformity.

IdleRich

IdleRich
All those misogynists having the temerity to be upset about their suddenly crippling mortgages and the crashing confidence in the UK.

The point is that she went against all the advice and it went horribly wrong in exactly the way that everyone predicted it would.

All your bleating and all her bleating will never change that.

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
The excoriation of Liz Truss was misogyny pure and simple: any woman who dares to act strongly and independently rather than just mouth a slogan is punished severely. An independent person is liable to come up with ideas with which you may not agree - that's the whole point. Truss' ideas were hardly tried and her ousting was motivated almost solely by appeals to flouted conformity.

you could always blame the nhs

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
A bit like how Margaret Thatcher was punished by being elected Prime Minister three times and leading the county for well over a decade?

mixed_biscuits

Thatcher was an interesting case: wholly unacceptable as a leader to the patriarchal right, further unacceptable to conservatives on account of her committed stance on fossil fuels and support for a persecuted minority in the Malvinas, Thatcher's incumbency was enabled solely by the smokescreen of the secret ballot, behind which the left - further motivated by the joy of submitting to a strong independent woman of humble stock - voted for her in their enraptured droves.

sufi

lala
Laura Kuenssberg has made a series with talking heads talking about the "State of Chaos" in UKGov 2017-22, involving interviews with Tories and Civil servants and Hillary Benn. I watched the 1st ep, it certainly brought back that feeling of queasy giddiness about wtf is going on with prorogations etc,
My prediction is that by the end of teh series the tories will be presented as having purged the ghosts of brexit, embraced "tough decisions" and as match fit for an election, given that LK is a massive tory stooge

shakahislop

Laura Kuenssberg has made a series with talking heads talking about the "State of Chaos" in UKGov 2017-22, involving interviews with Tories and Civil servants and Hillary Benn. I watched the 1st ep, it certainly brought back that feeling of queasy giddiness about wtf is going on with prorogations etc,
My prediction is that by the end of teh series the tories will be presented as having purged the ghosts of brexit, embraced "tough decisions" and as match fit for an election, given that LK is a massive tory stooge
the thing about that whirlwind period that is very apparent now is that everything has gone back to normal politically speaking. there is a boring status quo neoliberal in power in the US, there will be a boring neoliberal status quo keir starmer man in the UK. Macron isn't exactly status quo coz of his party background but.......well he is boring neoliberal status quo essentially, or not far off it. the adults adjusted and regained power. there's still a lot of destabilization culturally but the party politics part of it has calmed down.

sufi

lala
the thing about that whirlwind period that is very apparent now is that everything has gone back to normal politically speaking. there is a boring status quo neoliberal in power in the US, there will be a boring neoliberal status quo keir starmer man in the UK. Macron isn't exactly status quo coz of his party background but.......well he is boring neoliberal status quo essentially, or not far off it. the adults adjusted and regained power. there's still a lot of destabilization culturally but the party politics part of it has calmed down.
yeah that mini-epoch was knocked on the head by the pandemic - that kind of submerged the poltics in a wider context of unpredictable social chaos, and by the time the pandemic calmed down, so had politics, or maybe everyone's expectations were reduced, or they were just exhausted.

But the new LK TV show felt like it reconnects to those weird vibes, which is not surprising i suppose since LK was a commentator throughout the period and also contributed plenty to the general malaise

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Things could get spicy again in the US next year, though. Either Trump's legal woes won't prevent him from running as the Republican candidate, in which case he could well win the election, or he'll get sent down and it could trigger serious unrest among his cult followers/hapless dupes.

version

and also contributed plenty to the general malaise

This is something which really winds me up. You see it in The Telegraph atm too with their drip-feed of articles bemoaning the state of the country.

These people did their best to support everything which led to this point, now they want to stand outside it and act as observers. It's like egging your mate on to floor it in his car whilst shouting down anyone trying to stop him then standing there, tutting at the wreckage, after he plows into a wall.

sufi

lala
This is something which really winds me up. You see it in The Telegraph atm too with their drip-feed of articles bemoaning the state of the country.

These people did their best to support everything which led to this point, now they want to stand outside it and act as observers. It's like egging your mate on to floor it in his car whilst shouting down anyone trying to stop him then standing there, tutting at the wreckage, after he plows into a wall.
Yeah the Times is like that too i think anyone who reads it must be in a permanent state of frustrated aggravation, it's a constant wind-up

bu then so is the stupid grauniad, just in a very slightly different direction

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps

I wonder if any of them are still peddling the "still clearing up the mess left by the last Labour government" line, after 13.5 years of Tory rule?

I think Daniel Hannannannannannan had a good one during the Trussterfuck last year, when he said the markets were baulking at the prospect of a future Labour government. Because Keir Starmer is a hardline Bolshevik who is going to raise corporation tax to 300% and then ban money entirely, of course.

sufi

lala
Just google "george Osborne email pastebin" and you'll find it

Imagine that turning up week of your wedding fucking hell
they have genius press officers who i reckon must have advised them to use orange confetti at the wedding, so they could sow accusations in the press at juststopoil (who did sthing similar shortly before), and so the email was instantly forgotten 🤷‍♀️ brilliant, trebles all round

version

Sunak's so empty he's intriguing. Leader of a country yet there's nothing to say about him. A suit framing a void. As though one of the blandest contestants on The Apprentice suddenly appeared in Number 10.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Sunak's so empty he's intriguing. The leader of the country yet there's barely anything to say about him. A suit framing a gaping void. It's as though one of the blandest contestants on a series of The Apprentice suddenly appeared in Number 10.
He and Starmer are perfect foils to each other, in that sense.