jimitheexploder

This link works still: http://new.official.fm/tracks/1yTs

The download hosters changed their name from fairtilizer to official fm so it messed up the DL link unless you clicked on the widget.

Pretty sure its his first mix online too, I did a ustream with him not too long before but we didn't record it unfortunalty.

That Untold track Angry Hat is a killer, don't think its ever going to come out.

Shout again if that link doesn't work for you and I'll up it somewhere for ya.

Last edited:

rubberdingyrapids

there's some really great tracks on both, i'm not sure i agree with your overall take on this....

not sure about the brackles one as ive not heard that in depth but the roska one, i like the two MC tracks, badman and the mz bratt one (though again, theyre not too well recorded, its like the vocalists are way higher than the beat), but the two 'songs' i thought were both quite bad. jamie george is just totally pointless whatever hes on - its like hes trying to be deliberately forgettable - and the ruby goe one just seemed to be totally unmemorable, even though i do like her voice.

the oracle track is brill though.

SecondLine

Blackdown, if you're reading - I'd like to use this track you just posted on your twitter as an opportunity to ask you about this term 'trad house' you've been using for ages

http://soundcloud.com/matthewhiscock/buried

I am genuinely intrigued by the term and to what it might refer, given that for me - while, yes, it has a reese bass in it - this track is considerably more dull/bland and symptomatic of what is shit about the UK right now than the majority of the non-London house music being played by people like Ben UFO, Bok Bok, Kowton etc.

Is 'trad house' just an 'other' against which to define what is considered legitimately UK? Could you cite some examples of sets or tracks that, for you, typify 'trad house'? I'm not trying to be a dick, I really wanna know

sorry people seem to be laying into you on here loads atm don't they. That's not my intention - your writing on London stuff is the best there is (I for one really liked the road rap piece once I got round to reading it, in spite of criticising it out of hand before, sorry bout that), I just want to understand how this term works

Last edited:

PadaEtc

Emperor Penguin
I think it's more Nuts magazine than american apparel haha Important to point out that is not the official video

Someone just put the audio over this;

MatthewH

makes strange noises.
I beg to differ only to point out that it probably should be symptomatic of what's shit about Canada right now, since that's where I am.

Blackdown, if you're reading - I'd like to use this track you just posted on your twitter as an opportunity to ask you about this term 'trad house' you've been using for ages

http://soundcloud.com/matthewhiscock/buried

I am genuinely intrigued by the term and to what it might refer, given that for me - while, yes, it has a reese bass in it - this track is considerably more dull/bland and symptomatic of what is shit about the UK right now than the majority of the non-London house music being played by people like Ben UFO, Bok Bok, Kowton etc.

Is 'trad house' just an 'other' against which to define what is considered legitimately UK? Could you cite some examples of sets or tracks that, for you, typify 'trad house'? I'm not trying to be a dick, I really wanna know

sorry people seem to be laying into you on here loads atm don't they. That's not my intention - your writing on London stuff is the best there is (I for one really liked the road rap piece once I got round to reading it, in spite of criticising it out of hand before, sorry bout that), I just want to understand how this term works

Last edited:

Blackdown

nexKeysound

&g=bb">&g=bb" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="100%%"> ">

Ha, no worries. I can handle it.

So trad = traditional, right? A tradition, the long and established house tradition. It's a bit silly to single out one traditional house track, there are literally hundreds of thousands of them over the last 25 years, and that's sorta my point.

Now "Buried" is in someways structurally close to that tradition but in others just as close to the post dubstep stuff of deadboy, damu, joy O etc in it's focus around the ruff/smooth pairing of r&b vox and Reese bass. And this was a point I made in that RA podcast thing, that there's a paper thin wall between some of the more interesting post dubstep stuff and the trad house stuff.

Personally my focus now is on grimey, eski, jungly, garagey, uk funky, dread stuff at 130, but it's nice for variety to be able to dip into a touch of housey stuff, to keep the tempo porous. but just long periods of straight, polite, clean house - with a few rare exceptions - bores me witless. it did before dubstep, it did during dubstep and it does now.

rubberdingyrapids

Personally my focus now is on grimey, eski, jungly, garagey, uk funky, dread stuff at 130, but it's nice for variety to be able to dip into a touch of housey stuff, to keep the tempo porous. but just long periods of straight, polite, clean house - with a few rare exceptions - bores me witless. it did before dubstep, it did during dubstep and it does now.

yep

i taped the numbers show the other week from rinse and although i liked a few tracks, i just found it dull how much of it sounded like stuff that seemed like it could have come out in 1996 or thereabouts. taped over it with an afrobeats radio show instead :cool:

Blackdown

nexKeysound
taped! nice. I'm having an accidental tape revival at the moment. the machine is so crap if i drop the volume past a certain point the buzz from the ailing machine is louder than the music!

rubberdingyrapids

i still tape shows, just cos i dont have a cd player in the car. but my tape machine does record a bit noisily so taping late night means i have to draw for the ear plugs lol.

although a lot of this is stuff is non time specific, sort of ironically, avoiding it means you can get out of touch with whats happening right now. whats a dyed in the wool futurist (or someone who just got into this stuff cos it sounded like nothing else, i would never call myself a futurist, maybe a modernist) to do?

Last edited:
S

simon silverdollar

Uk funky has its roots in quite long-standing traditions, though doesn't it? south african house, also stuff like karizma and masters at work... just cos it's syncopated and not a 4/4 thump doesn't mean it's not trad!

Blackdown

nexKeysound
I'm reminded of this which I think gets to the crux of it:

http://ftrprf.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/some-words-with-ben-ufo.html

ben makes some valid points about the history of uk funky and house, but looking house in general just because you can provide (entirely valid) exceptions doesnt mean there isnt a trend. sure US house/garage is/was syncopated in places, but the vast majority of house, by volume, is rhythmically uninteresting. sometimes thats entirely the point: it's route one, doof doof doof doof, bosh, peaktime club music, right?

and i'm not rushing to dismiss entire genres, i continually loop back and check people's shows to keep myself open to what's going on, i'm continually curious to know what people are playing, but often find myself really underwhelmed. but that's just my personal take.

so, I'd fully expect Ben to disagree with me on this one (Even from that piece: "I have perhaps shifted more towards “traditional” house music more than most".), as I'd expect a lot of the top DJs now. I'm comfortable going a different direction and given the success of those DJs I'm sure they're quite comfortable with their directions too.

Last edited: