what is wobble?

Aww Nein

Wild Palms
further step along the line.....

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

gumdrops

following on from the wobble/hcc discussion on the ny/london is dead thread (thought to put it here rather than derail that one anymore).

the fact wobble is what took dubstep around the world should also tell you that it is the next real stage. the more i think about it, the hype against wobble was a very net-based phenom wasnt it? off the net thats what most ppl are into. and arguably there is more in common between wobble and say, skream and bengas early tunes than with post dubstep.

not saying its all incredible, a lot of it is now just cheese, or pretty silly, but i still maintain the early strain of it was pretty immense, like on that caspa and rusko fabric cd (not including ruskos tunes). ppl who dont like wobble are too caught up in muso seriousness and for all the talk of wanting 'rudeness', its odd that wobble rubbed up so many the wrong way. granted a lot of it more like the prodigy and prob more wideboy than rudeboy but tunes like caspas terminator or even more recently skreams wibbler are pretty great imo. and they actually have more going for them rhythm-wise than a lot of post-dubstep.

i wonder if wobble will get a critical rehabilitation.

*wobble fan since 2008*

luka

i disagre with this actually cos the audience for wobble is not the traditional hcc audience (hhc always makes me think old hiphop connection magazines tho, need a different acronym.) i think its just th new techstep or somthing.

gumdrops

but is the audience that was into jungle and garage the same as was into rave/hardcore rave? this is maybe more like that audience. but more studenty/nerdy. but you could prob also argue that dubstep was never the traditional hcc audience either. and techstep is still part of the HCC isnt it, even if its a branch out of it?

i think one of the main arguments for it being the next stage is that it has become much more popular than funky, and popularity seems to be the gauge by which validity of 'the next stage' is measured. plus grime mcs and producers seem to jave jumped on wobble more than funky, which obv is cos its darker than funky, could also be cos they too see it as the next thing in a way. though more cynically its its prob just cos grime mcs will jump on virtually anything popular.

Last edited:

luka

probably worth pointing out also that grime never came close to taking over london. it was pretty visible in east but was never city wide, not by a long shot.

mms

sometimes
following on from the wobble/hcc discussion on the ny/london is dead thread (thought to put it here rather than derail that one anymore).

the fact wobble is what took dubstep around the world should also tell you that it is the next real stage. the more i think about it, the hype against wobble was a very net-based phenom wasnt it? off the net thats what most ppl are into. and arguably there is more in common between wobble and say, skream and bengas early tunes than with post dubstep.

not saying its all incredible, a lot of it is now just cheese, or pretty silly, but i still maintain the early strain of it was pretty immense, like on that caspa and rusko fabric cd (not including ruskos tunes). ppl who dont like wobble are too caught up in muso seriousness and for all the talk of wanting 'rudeness', its odd that wobble rubbed up so many the wrong way. granted a lot of it more like the prodigy and prob more wideboy than rudeboy but tunes like caspas terminator or even more recently skreams wibbler are pretty great imo. and they actually have more going for them rhythm-wise than a lot of post-dubstep.

i wonder if wobble will get a critical rehabilitation.

*wobble fan since 2008*

it didn't take dubstep around the world though - dubstep did that on its own - way before wobble came about really.
the hate for wobble wasn't a net phenomenon too - its actually a response based on the sonics and the changes of attitude in the dance etc.. - things aren't net phenomenons unless they have some basis in real world experience for things like this.

And it's not the 'most popular' form etc, a handful of the djs are popular esp in america where it's resonated with the whole burning man side of things and diplo championed it and did a comp of dubstep for the american market -and that's a huge audience - but that rusko lp did poorly etc, plus there aren't any really popular standout tracks too - there are lots getting played on mr jams show but they don't sell well, you don't see em in the charts cos you know its noise essentially- a cathartic expression of a banal strain of male aggression - with a big ironic grin no doubt. - but not rudeness - closer to breakcore in it's attitude and over egged aggyness - plus it's already mutating itself too what with skrillex and that rock band etc..which is what happened to breakcore in a way too.

I kinda think that's a shame as w/ america - dubstep and grime especially should be resonating and reenergising with hip hop - but i've met ppl from america who thought dubstep was originally from california, made by hippys or whatever, so the association is completely different.

the rest of what you're saying sounds like a typical happy shopper version of simon reynolds binary responses to things

Last edited:

UFO over easy

online mahjong
there are a handful of incredibly successful djs and producers making huge amounts of money creaming off the top but by and large a tune with 500,000 hits on UKF in a week will be forgotten a couple of weeks later. they don't earn a huge amount for their bookings and the records don't sell

the UKF stuff is nu metal. they're 4 minute pop songs with that same minor key hookiness that all those kerrang bands had ten years ago, and the same rigid, aggressive groovelessness too. it's immediate and it works as pop music so it's got picked up on by ministry of sound, mainstream PRs and all that stuff - which creates a totally different audience to any of the old continuum music. there are huge underage raves for this stuff.

gumdrops said:
i think one of the main arguments for it being the next stage is that it has become much more popular than funky, and popularity seems to be the gauge by which validity of 'the next stage' is measured

really? drum and bass carried on growing long after all the journalists declared it dead, the audience changed and became global

gumdrops said:
and arguably there is more in common between wobble and say, skream and bengas early tunes than with post dubstep.

i dont hear that at all, and its not like im opposed to this stuff on principle

this is the band skrillex used to front before he moved into production -

SecondLine

I know there's a serious discussion going on here but that vid is so LOLworthy.

Not that I know much about the field, but that band's relation to interesting, innovative hardcore seems to be more or less identical to Skrillex's relation to your Skreams and Bengas...a sort of diluted, 2D version, with some euro euphoria thrown in for the tween market.

sorry probably tangential.

gumdrops

i was going to do a proper reply (in a budget, cut price, one-pound-shop reynolds sort of way of course) but i realised i dont really care that much. i dont even find myself listening to much wobble (i do like people like jakes, cotti, kutz however) though the argument that 'its all just the same' i find a bit weird, as a hell of a lot of halfstep was very samey too (as for it not making much money apart from the very biggest tunes, well thats music as a rule across all genres these days), i just find it an interesting thing to discuss in principle/play devils advocate with. yes theres a lot thats dumbed down and just stupid and empty, not unlike what happened to D&B, but theres also tunes like this:
which i think are great. obv influenced by benga's night but ravier and more full-on.

Last edited:

SecondLine

nice, that's got me rushing in my dressing gown

it's got that soca bounce to it, that's what makes it. tbh I wouldn't have associated it with aggy dubstep at all if it wasn't ripped from a skream and benga set. Is there other stuff like that around?

reminds me of this...which also has a passing relationship with wobble