James Blake

Phaedo

If he sang it well i would probably rate it, but he doesnt.

Also, heard a couple of house tempo things by him played on the Hessle show on Rinse. Were alright...

SecondLine

It's a bit of a ner ni ner to people who've already decided what kind of music he makes and filed him in the 'ignore' drawer, isn't it

grizzleb

I've been hating James Blake since page one in this thread, but that actually sounds pretty good. Not amazing, but it would be good on a big system. Sounds like Sleeparchive.

edit: the new one on hemlock.

Phaedo

Definitely hear Sleeparchive in these, I read a interview with him a while back when he was saying how much of a impact going to Berghain for the first time had on him. All for the better in my opinion.

Leo

I read a interview with him a while back when he was saying how much of a impact going to Berghain for the first time had on him.

let's hope his US tour brings him through new orleans so we can soon look forward to his dipsy-doodle dixieland jazz ep. :rolleyes:

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
some people don't have to try, they just are

to me he sounds like he's trying to tick zeitgeisty boxes.

Last edited by a moderator:

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
yeah, isn't that usually the deal?

blake doesn't sound good to me. i guess the hype made me expect something more from him.i think the arthur russell style singing got me the most. funny how it was just around the time when russell was excavated that he was doing that. people blatantly nicking semi-obscure, trendy shit to be hip/relevant is worse than just being shit imo.

Leo

hold on. i really like "cmyk" and actually don't mind a fair amount on his album, so i'm not a jb hater. but those hemlock tracks just don't work, by the brief samples anyway. the guy is really young and trying different things, that's cool. but that stuff just sounds forced and overly self-conscious.

and btw, i've got a half-dozen sleeparchive singles and don't buy that comparison. or mika vanio, LOL!!